Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 910

Thread: Jay & Anne Greer's H28 Ketch "Bright Star"

Default Re: Jay & Anne Greer's H28 Ketch "Bright Star"

Jay - is there any chance that you might have a few photos of your engine bed set up that you could post or send to me? I’m looking at various options for replacing (or modifying and reinstating) my old engine frame set up from when I stripped Larrikin out. The old set-up was very solid but also made it incredibly difficult to access the sump and I hated it:

C2 04022008(006).jpg

measurements of old frame 2.jpg

measurements of old frame 3.jpg
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Jay,

I always look froward to reading your post, thanks for sharing your knowledge.
    Hope your drafting room is warm and cozy by now, I do as much writing in mine as I do drafting. May you find time for your book this winter, you have a great writing style and look forward to reading it.

May you find some good teak for your new deck. I have been collection Osage Orange for the deck of my little boat. It turns gray with weathering and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference from teak, sure is bright yellow after it is first dried though. If you shou shi ban it with a propane torch it looks like cocobolo at first then ebony with more heat, like the spoons.
    spoons Osage Orange.jpg

The best of speed on all your endeavors,
    John.

John, Thanks for you interest and kind words! A death in the family has kept us away from our normal routine this summer and so the drafting room is still waiting for me to get to finishing it. I had not thought of Bois De Arc for decks even though I know it makes great fence posts and is rot and pest proof. Novel idea! How does it compare to teak in price? Nice spoons!
    Jay

Larks,
    I must appoligise for not answering you as an unexpected problem that is written just above has taken me away from much boat work. I must assume that, by now, you are well along with your engine and other components. I can still take some photos of ours if you like?
    I hope your project is coming along well! You are really doing a good job my friend!
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Larks,
    I must appoligise for not answering you as an unexpected problem that is written just above has taken me away from much boat work. I must assume that, by now, you are well along with your engine and other components. I can still take some photos of ours if you like?
    I hope your project is coming along well! You are really doing a good job my friend!
    Jay
    Thanks Jay, I actually only posted that request a couple of days ago so I would indeed still appreciate some photos of your engine bed setup if possible.

I’m still working away from home but plan to finish up and be home for good by mid February next year and my first job at home is to get Larrikin finished and out of the shed so, for now, my frustrations at being away from home are being appeased by planning whatever I can for when I start work on her again.

I bought my engine in June, the Yanmar 3YM20, and the supplier is holding it until I’m ready for it. So aside from lifting the hull off the keel to check the keel bolts (it’s been in a salt bath now for longer than I care to admit - albeit with anodes in it), my next job on the list is to get the floors and engine bed better sorted ready and the engine installed before continuing with interior fit out.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Ok Larks, I will get you some photos today!
    Fair winds,
    Jay

Bump - partially because I really liked this thread but also wondering if anyone has heard anything from or about Jay or of "Bright Star"
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

He add much to the forum.
    I sure miss him.
    John H.