Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: Jay & Anne Greer's H28 Ketch "Bright Star"

Default Re: Jay & Anne Greer's H28 Ketch "Bright Star"

I can't take credit for the gearbox. That would have been Jensen Marine. I was, later, the customer service rep for Jensen, but this boat pre-dated me. Do I recall a red sheer and boot stripe. I only ever saw one 246 that color. I think it was this boat.
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

I believe the gearbox finally gave out in BC. The owner sailed the boat down to Port Townsend where a new one was installed. So much for Tupperware boats.
    I like wooden boats. They also seem warmer in the winter.
    Jay

A little bit of a diversion but may be of interest to a couple of you on this thread . We came across a Lapworth 50 in the yasawas, Fiji , a couple of months ago. Ex Trimani if I recall the conversation correctly.

When Hale Field and Bill Lapworth designed the Cal246 The intention was so that Hale and his family could sail from Newport Beach CA to the St. Lawrence River via the Canal, transport the boat across Canada by rail and sail it down the Pacific Coast back to Newport Beach. Hale made sure that the boat would fit through the Canadian tunnels on a flat car before the design was approved. They made it to the East Coast and, sadly, Hale's father passed on in California so the trip was unable to be finished by the family. A delivery skipper brought her down the West Coast.

While there are certain things about the boat that I would not wish to live with, many adventurers have made epic voyages in Cal 246's
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 11-06-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Since we vered off course a bit I will speak of the H28 again. Greg Larkin is having the adventure of a lifetime with his restoration of his own H28 and I am fascinated with is inventive instincts as to the restoration of his own boat as well as his abilities as a craftsman. Greg and I both respect L.Francis Herreshoff's concept of design with this boat and I have commented on his thread a bit on various aspects as to why this enduring design has been so popular since 1942 when the boat was first designed. Here, in his own words is what L. Francish Herreshoff had to say about this amazing little jewel of a boat.

"Altering the Design:
    If the H28's design is only slightly changed, the whole balance may be thrown out. If you equip her with deadeyes, build her with sawn frames, or fill her virgin bilge with ballast, the birds will no longer carol over her, nor will the odors arising from the cabin make poetry, nor will your soul be fortified against a world of warlords, politicians, and fakers"!

While his words may now sound quaint, once you have experienced the ballance ease and freedom of moving about on the uncluttered deck of this little ship you will come to appreciate LFH's words of wisdom that are based on experience and not speculation.

One of my hobbies is that of collecting Europeon Model trains. In that sense, I see the H28 as having a similar, nostalgic, appeal as does the original "Orient Express" train. There is an, unspoken, air of elegance about the train that evokes a feeling of balance of mind, a feeling of practical nostalgia that is to be found in the unaltered H28. It is indeed a gem!
    Jay

Cool Re: Jay & Anne Greer's H28 Ketch "Bright Star"

Greenport LI trip 006.jpg

Jay,

Not sure if this photo will attach. I think it is a H28....saw a few years back on a mooring in Greenport NY. The clipper bow does not compute.

Itchen

Greenport LI trip 002.jpg

Jay

Another view ...maybe another Hereshoff design ?

Itchen

Those boats are examples of the "Araminta" ketch design which is the smallest clipper bowed ketch LFH designed. The boats are both stunning to the eye and amazingly fast!
    Jay

The boat in the photos is not Araminta. I am probably wrong, but I think these are modified H28s the rig is a little different and the bow is certainly different, but....it is not an Araminta.
    On the other hand it is fairly handsome.
    I totally agree that nearly all of LFH's later cruising designs show a grace and elegance that is always lost when you 'adjust the sheer' or build up the house the be practical....
    The Meadowlark gets ugly very fast when you monkey with the main elements. A lot of other boats seem to be more tolerant, the H28 is a good example of a tolerant design. Most still miss by a lot, but a few get the mods close to being OK....never quite right, but not quite totally bad.

Here is an interesting piece written by boat builder William Cannell on the "Araminta" Ketch.
    Jay
    http://www.cannellclassicboats.com/cbb_araminta.html

Quote Originally Posted by gilberj View Post
    The boat in the photos is not Araminta. I am probably wrong, but I think these are modified H28s the rig is a little different and the bow is certainly different, but....it is not an Araminta.
    On the other hand it is fairly handsome.
    I totally agree that nearly all of LFH's later cruising designs show a grace and elegance that is always lost when you 'adjust the sheer' or build up the house the be practical....
    The Meadowlark gets ugly very fast when you monkey with the main elements. A lot of other boats seem to be more tolerant, the H28 is a good example of a tolerant design. Most still miss by a lot, but a few get the mods close to being OK....never quite right, but not quite totally bad.
    You are correct! I did not look long enough at the two photos as I was running out the door and slapped the last comment in by only seeing the gammon knee under the bow sprit. Also, the rig is that of the H 28 but, does not have the jumper strut or the high aspect ratio main that "Araminta has. Close but, no cigar! Reminds me of cadilac fins on a 51 Chevy.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 11-11-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Greenport LI trip 008.jpg

Jay,

So the verdict is still out on the designer. One more photo showing her transom . Maybe just a William Garden..ish H28.

Itchen

I think this may be a custom, perhaps even a self-design, closely following the H-28 or maybe a Nereia but is much smaller than the latter. The Mizzen is smaller and further aft. Consequently the main boom is longer. I am not exactly sure how the tiller is done, perhaps a bow around the base of the mizzen, or a bell crank linkage. She is certainly a handsome vessel and a credit to her apparent inspiration.

In that stern shot photo, the transom does look like the H28 and the spars look to be the right heights. The bow sprit also gives a sense of a longer looking hull. But, I think the owner was hoping to do a trick with smoke and mirrors. The H28 itself does not need this kind of cosmetic fakery! It is a beautiful boat just as it was designed and does not need such trickery! Were I to change her, the only thing that I might change would be to add a taller main using the sloop mast that LFH designed for the boat but retaining the mizzen. This would give more power in light airs and improve up her wind ability. This is because the boat lives in S. CA where winds are normally light. This would give the same ratio of spar heights as the Aramintas have. I would add a second set of reef points just to keep her comfortably on her feet. I already have added a set of running backs, to the existing rig, that do improve the upwind ability of "Bright Star".

The picture I posted above is one of the Aramintas that were built by Legendary Yachts. The boat has an improved rig of lighter spars and rod rigging. The hull is strip planked and is very solid. On San Francisco Bay she was clocked at over twelve knots under an asemetrical chute, main, mizzen stays'l and mizzen. This is anothr shot of the boat that did it.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 11-07-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Jay

Beautiful boat....has the look of a ship model sitting there... the scale looks too small for the average size guy in the cockpit. Does look like she could show a turn of speed...even at the dock

Itchen

This was posted before but I offer it here for a quick comparison.
    Jay

A stern shot for comparison too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Giegel View Post
    Jay

Beautiful boat....has the look of a ship model sitting there... the scale looks too small for the average size guy in the cockpit. Does look like she could show a turn of speed...even at the dock

Itchen
    Mark, The boat that Cannel & Payne built had a modified cockpit that was slightly wider, deeper and self bailing. This one is as LFH designed it and it is narrow and open into the interior of the boat. Not, in my opinion, what I would want to sail off shore. But still, a work of art.
    Jay

I am naming this next segment, "Just Say No To Crack". More on this later.
    Jay

When we acquired "Bright Star" she had several problems that needed attention. Above is one of them, a crack in the single panel of the main scuttle hatch.
    I first filled it with mahogany seam compound and did an eight coat varnish job on it. It looked great for a while. But then after the panel had expanded and contract acted several hundred times with the changes in S. CA weather, it ended up like this. And was worse than in the beginning. This hatch was built all wrong and the rest of it was questionable! No amount of tinkering with glue and seam compound had proved to cure it so, I came up with this solution. The original hatch had four cross beams on top but they could not prevent the panting of the single solid panel so, the only answer was to cover it. Here the area that will be covered is primed with shellack to allow the bedding compound to remain soft. Stay tuned.

Had the cross beams been allowed to float on the panel it might have been better but, such was not the case and there was no other solution but to
    covert with another piece of matching stock. The trick was, to allow the cover piece to float and not restrict the movement of the panel. But fastening it without
    screws in to the panel was not part of the program because it would just add to the problem rather than curing it. So the covering spline was made up to mortice into lthe end components. This end tendon fits snug into the end piece and does not need any glue to hold it as it is a self locking fit. The other end is under the other end cap and the center two cross beams are fitted to the spline which travels through them. The end result is the crack is covered but in such a way that the panel can move beneath it. That was fifteen years ago and it is still tight.
    Jay

And now you have different handles to easily adjust to part way open. I like it.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

They are interconnected so turning one turns the other. If they need skewing there is a disconnect for the chain drive which, allows adjusting pressure on either side of the vise.

I thought I had a picture of the finished job with varnish on it. Sorry, there isn't one that shows the floating spline. This has been seen before but just for ending this example here it is.
    Jay

Here is another shot of the little cleats I made up for the masthead flag halyard on the main and mizzen. It is made of a scrap of lignum vitae and is attached to the stbd. lower. It faces aft so as to offer the least chance of snagging and is small as well. It started out as a sketch on paper that was refined and made up as a pattern of cardboard. This was taped to the shroud just to see how it would look in proportion to the rest of the rigging. Once it looked right it was traced onto the Iron Wood block. The block was square on all sides of the rectangle it was made from. Then the block was drilled on the drill press to provided the correct diameter relief for the shroud and its serving. The block was wide enough to allow two cleats to be made from one drilling. A bit of work with a spoke shave, Dremmel grinder and rasps produced the cleat, seen here, which was varnished with eight coats of Behr Spar before being seized on the lower. Being on the lower gives a lead that keeps the halyard from frapping on the spreaders and mast. I will use the next size smaller line next time as it has proven to be too fat to work nicely in he mast head truck fittings. In fact I plan to use Spectra Braid is it is abrasion resitant and slippery enough to lead nicely through the holes in the masthead fittings.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 11-14-2017 at 04:12 PM.