Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56

Thread: Jay & Anne Greer's H28 Ketch "Bright Star"

Default Re: Jay & Anne Greer's H28 Ketch "Bright Star"

Not to worry Steve I will be explaining that next week after I am able to sort some fotos. Remember that the staples are Monel and are covered by the drip rail which is relieved on the back for clearance of same. It also allows for a goodly amount of Dolfinite to seal it. The last coat of paint on the coach roof forms an added seal over the Dolfinite. More to come.
    Jay

Thanks Jay, that is more or less what I thought would be going on under the drip rail but wasn't sure.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

I will begin a bit on the time molding installation even though I don't have all the pictures ready. I chose to creat a profile for the molding that was not symmetrical in its cross section. This was for the purpose of extending the lower half out wide enough and flat enough to allow for a drip groove to be cut in the underside. Other wise, the capillary action of water draining off of the coach roof will run up into the lower area of the joinery seam and, possibly, work its way into the deck house sides. This can eventually lead to rot! This is often the case with moldings that are half round in shape. I did choose a profile that is a common form found in nature, the Fibiancci Curve which, is more pleasing and less monotonous to the eye. Proportions of nearly everything in nature from the human body to spiral galaxies are made to this curve so you might say that I used a curve that is well established both in architecture and natural forms. Another reason is that the ratio of progression in router bit forms allowed me to make up the profile in just a single pass of two different pilot bearing guided bits. So here is a sketch of the profile I made up. Sorry it is sloppy, I was in a hurry.
    Jay

I will add here that there is a sequence for doing this job that will save anyone doing it, for the first time, a lot of frustration in making things fit. I began making up the main hatch slides because they tie into the drip molding and become one continuous form. In my case, I started by making the slides and fitting them into the drip rail at the after end of the deck house. The moldings were merely tacked on with a few galvanized nails to hold them. The main thing was to fit the joint at the opening to the cabin. The rails themselves were slanted fore and aft so that a visual line of site down the tops ended at the stem head. This helps in keeping a common point of diminishing projection in the sheer profile of the boat. I will mention that I made the hatch rails out of Honduras Mahogany as it is close in look to the African Mahogany the rest of the boat is made of. I was not able to obtain air dried stock for the job as no local yards for boat stock exits in Souther California any longer. Time was when some five yards could supply all manner of air dried boat stock. Aircraft grade spruce can still be purchased but that is an exception now!

The kiln dried stock that I selected was found by culling through dozens of planks till I found one that was fairly free of checking and was quarter sawn. That which looks like a simple cross section is really a bit complex as there are no less than three different bevels that had to be cut including a hollow rebate on the upper side. This involved a lot of sawing and shaping of he pieces prior to making the finish cut of the last bevel. Imagine my anger and amazement when, as the last facet was ripped that the rails took off into Jones's Meadow with a nasty unfair curve! This was a curve that no amount of fussing would correct! I must say that the tensions that had built up in the stock as a result of the shrinkage caused the rapid kiln drying was to blame. I ended up purchasing another plank and proceeded to make a second run at shaping the rails. I must say that I am not a beginner at culling through a pile of planks and choosing what looks best for a job but this problem was truly maddening. The yard was low on stock and not inclined to give discounts for unforeseen flaws showing up in their stock after it had been worked. Well, this time I got one rail out of a piece that should have yielded two. So, it was back to the yard for another plank! This time I got lucky in that it skewed off a little but could be sprung in place. I will say that those hatch slide rails were damn expensive! The wood was not prime stuff and as you can see in the photo, a chip flaked off while it was being sawed. It is cover by the bronze slide track so it is of no consequence. Had I been in Port Townsend, I could have walked into Edensaw and gotten all manner of nice stock for the job but I was a long way away with this one. Note the scuppers I cut in the rails. These are my signature for scuppers I design. I call them "Mermaid Buns"

Here is the chip that is covered by the track. Even so, it was frutrating to have to work with stock that was so unpredictable.

The big ends of the rails were set up with tennons that lock into end caps. These were hand cut due to the odd form of this joint.

Dovetail joints for the arch beam were also cut.

Here is one to the rough end caps for the rail ends.

Now the end caps have been glued onto the rails. The slight case of gaposys was later corrected with metric glaze. Amazing stuff!
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 12-08-2017 at 03:12 PM.

The hatch rail is now fastened down and the first section of the drip molding is being fitted. It is important to work in progression with this job as the rail is constantly being extended and the corners fitted to it. I am left handed so I started on the after port end of the deck house to fit the molding. The Japanese pull saw you see is a special one I had made up for cutting dovetails and fitted joints. That is why it has the rocker in the blade. More on this next time.
    Jay

That's all pretty special stuff. So well thought out and executed.

Thanks Phil. It is just the way I learned from my mentors. More to come!
    Jay

Moving along here with a photo of the butt end of the actual drip molding. The drip slot was ripped on the table saw with a set of rip guide wheels to keep it in line. The biggest radius was shaped prior to ripping the plank. A tool that I use for special fitting of but joints was a gift from a friend. Called a Lion Trimmer, it
    is an adjustable miter cutter that can fine trim molding butts to a hair thickness. The tool is actually designed for making picture frames. But I find it indispensable for fine tuning boat joinery.
    https://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-G1690.../dp/B006SJCEVA
    Also picutured are the two radius bits that were used for forming the molding. Note how smooth the trimmer cut the butt on the molding.
    Jay

Here is the after end molding that fits into the hatch slide rail. I stopped the drip slot short for clearance.

Here are the corners being roughed out. After taking a radius form the deck house, a hole saw of the correct size was chosen. The hole gave a good gripping place to hold the blocks while routing the profile.

The drip groves were cut in the corner blocks with a gouge before they were cut out for fitting to the coach roof.

I might add that having a second worker to help the job is really a good idea. My son Jamie was a pillar of patience as this tedious job was done! It saved both time and frustration to have him there to help! When the second person knows how the work is done and what is coming, having their hands in the right place without having to explain what is going on is the essence of making the work go smoothly! This is something I learned from working in the yards in my early years as an apprentice!

Making up a large bevel tool is a must for taking the pattern angles off of the corners is a necessity. Once the card stock patterns are made, they are traced on to the corner blank stock. Even a slight variation makes a difference! Having to make more than one for the same corner is part of the process. Feel blessed if it comes out right the first time! With the exception of the after end moldings all other corners are fitted first and the long connecting pieces are set in last. The fitting of the corners takes time as carbon paper must be fitted to the deck house corners first with two sided tape and the corner tapped against it with the heel of the hand. Then the resulting blue marks must be carefully shaved off.

A large burr bit in an air grinder works well.
    A variety of cutters and a Dremmel grinder will work also, but is not as effective as an air grinder. Large ball or oval burrs are the best for this work. If you have a set of carving gouges they can help as well. I takes about three to four hours to obtain a good fit as a lot of tinkering is involved! Galvanized finish nails will hold the work in place until it is time to fit the screws. I used #8 square drives bronze screws and plugged over the holes. Here, a Yankee Screwdriver is a Godsend! No screws should be driven until the corners fit as they will need a lot of removal and fitting. It is best to pilot drill for the driving of the temporary nails as corners can crack. Next comes fitting the long sections to the corners with a tight fit and no gapping. The miter trimmer comes into play for shaving the corner ends vertically square. A short length of the molding, with its end cut dead square can be butted up to the corner whith carbon paper to show where to shave the corner butts.

The rails are now fitted between the corners. The trick of getting a tight fitting joint is in placing a wedge in the center of the molding rail to spring it slightly out from the side of the structure. This may only be a quarter of an inch. This shortens the fit at the corner block, allowing the Japanese pull saw to cut down the center of the joining of the corner and side rail. The corner is held by the nails and the side rail can be tacked just enough to hold it while sawing. There is one important trick that must be done here. A business card is slipped down the back of the two pieces over the canvas at the joint line. The cut is carefully made down the joint line working with light pressure. As can be seen, in the picture of the saw, the blade has a slight rocker shape fore and aft. This allows the saw to touch the business card first in the center, grab it and indicate that the cut is finished. This protects the canvas from being cut! The rail is then taken off and the remaing wood can be skimmed off with razor blade, block plane or chisle. The wedge is removed from the rail and pressing it into the deck house side will show if the cut is sufficient for the fit. If not, the process can be repeated until a satisfactory fit is obtained. More to come.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 12-10-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Now the end caps have been glued onto the rails. The slight case of gaposys was later corrected with metric glaze. Amazing stuff!
    Great thread, thanks Jay.
    one question: what’s “metric glaze”?
    thanks
    St.John

I once knew a builder who had all manner of sizes of glaze and putty to cover and disguise his mistakes in craftsman ship. Squeaky had everything from one sixteenth inch up to six inch putty and glaze that he used often with great gusto! I prefer metric sizes for my own mistakes. It is much more accurate!

Jay aka Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    I once knew a builder who had all manner of sizes of glaze and putty to cover and disguise his mistakes in craftsman ship. Squeaky had everything from one sixteenth inch up to six inch putty and glaze that he used often with great gusto! I prefer metric sizes for my own mistakes. It is much more accurate!

Jay aka Bird
    Excellent tip Jay! I myself have not progressed beyond putty and filler in the 6"-and-up sizes, but I'm working on it
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Fine finish planing one of the after drip rails with a Japanese mini plane. These little planes are indispensable for detail work.

i'm curious about your mermaid buns. Have you got a picture of one in situe all varnished up? Trying to visualize them.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

That is a picture I must dig out. I will find and post same but it will be a week before I can get to it.
    Jay

No rush, enjoying what you're putting up as is.
    Thanks,
    Daniel
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Actauly, if you take this picture and cover the lower one of the two rails with a piece of paper, you should get the idea. I just did that and got a mermaid tail as well! Maybe that is a better analogy?
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 12-13-2017 at 12:43 PM.