Thread: Sailaway -The Sailing Simulator - check this out

Thumbs up Sailaway -The Sailing Simulator - check this out

I've been waiting for software like this for quite some time, "Sailaway -The Sailing Simulator" - it's also on sale this week

http://store.steampowered.com/app/55...p_reviews_hash

Here is one review:

I've had Sailaway for just a week now, and I notice that I have racked up over 40 hours of in-world time already. That is a testament to the fact that I find this simulator totally captivating. If you are a sailor, or want to learn to be one, I have not found a better tool for learning or just enjoying seamanship.

My personal interests are to improve my navigation and boat handling skills, plus exploring. Sailaway scores 10 out of 10 on those points. I am awed by the prospect of having all the oceans of the world to explore, including places I will probably never get to sail in RL, such as the passage at Tierra del Fuego or doing a circuit of Antarctica. I also enjoy practicing my RL voyages before I take them. The world model is good enough to imprint the geography of coastlines in your memory, and where there are modeled navigational aids, such as buoys or lights, that is even better.

Actually the very first thing I checked when I loaded the game was a submerged rock I know, that I had slammed into with my keel in RL. When I found it existed in Sailaway too, I knew I was on to something good.

I hope future development focuses on improving the simulation, rather than gamification. I would like to see more navigational aids, perhaps some coastal detail, and tides and currents.

Perhaps a possibility would be to invite the community to assist by providing models at least of things like lighthouses, distinctive daymarkers or buoys. I myself have contributed several such to Google Earth, and I think many might be motivated to make similar contributions here.

Massive kudos and thanks to the developers for producing the best piece of software I have used in a long time.

Default Re: Sailaway -The Sailing Simulator - check this out

I'm surprised no-one is interested in this type of sim, honestly

Default Re: Sailaway -The Sailing Simulator - check this out

With the live weather updates, can you theoretically race boats sailing in real life? This would be great to encourage wider interest in long distance sailing, as a kind of fantasy league sort of thing.