Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WBF Product Help. I Need A Specific cabinet

Default Re: WBF Product Help. I Need A Specific cabinet

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    The Ikea is like $35 ( you kinda get a lot more than you pay for but not enough )- Ideally I would like to keep it at the $200 range if possible. I cant justify $1,000 for a single 11" 6 drawer cabinet. I looked at the Bisley 6 draw it's marginally more robust than the Ikea. Also it doesn't have any locking mechanism and the draws just slide out.
    What will you be putting in it? How much weight? The red cabinet should be tough enough, if not a lot of weight, and secured to the van not just at the bottom, but at the top as well, so the cabinet does not experience bending and torsional loads as the van accelerates, brakes, turns. And a locking bar for the front corner should not cost too much, you could even make one from a piano hinge. Or, make individual drawer locks from a weighted tab on a pivot that gravity holds in place in front of each drawer, and you flip (rotate) it out of the way to open a drawer. Attach to front of cabinet with small nuts and bolts (just take out drawers for access behind), don't used sheet metal screws, they never hold. For blind holes, like fixing the stripped holes in an aluminum mast that holds on the jib halyard winch, I use rivnuts and bolts rather than sheet metal screws, much greater thread depth.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Another easy way to lock the drawers on the red cabinet: Bolt it to the floor through a piece of 3/4" plywood, with the ply extending in front just beyond the drawer pulls. Drill a hole there, drop a rod through the drawer pulls from the top into the hole. On the top of the cabinet, add a metal tab with hole that the rod drops through, and hold the rod in place with a clothespin clamp just under the top tab, or drill a hole for a cotter pin. Now the rod is fixed in position top and bottom and the drawers go nowhere until you pull the rod out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    If the ikea cabinet is what you need I'd see about beefing it up and adding a decent lock. A piano hinge would work well as a locking device. Can the drawers be strengthened with rivets?
    Riveting

100 strategically placed pop rivets. Dramatically increased the stability and strength of the Ikea draws.

Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 08-11-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

There ya go! Even better if you used backing washers on the pop rivets, but steel (cabinet material) is harder and stronger than aluminum so probably not essential, especially if you used steel rivets and not aluminum ones. There are airplanes that are held together completely with pop rivets, they build'em in a week. (Zenair, designed by Chris Heintz.)
    Last edited by Bob (oh, THAT Bob); 08-13-2017 at 01:01 AM.