Thread: Prosciutto

Default Prosciutto

Isn't it perfect?

Default Re: Prosciutto

Love that with cheese and whine!
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Illustrates the principle that less is more.

(Or at least it costs more.)
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! ŚCole Porter

Add it to some chilled tortellini, peas, diced onion, mayo and a few choice herbs and you have a delightful summer salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Love that with cheese and whine!
    Worth capturing

It's known as Parma ham in Europe, Parma is also the home of Parmesan cheese.

And ripe cantaloupe

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Worth capturing

It's known as Parma ham in Europe, Parma is also the home of Parmesan cheese.
    it is the milk, they say, which makes both the cheese and the ham taste so good. The pigs traditionally drink the whey from the cheese making.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    it is the milk, they say, which makes both the cheese and the ham taste so good. The pigs traditionally drink the whey from the cheese making.
    P'raps. But I reckon the curing method has more to do with it.

<a data-cke-saved-href="https://www.prosciuttodiparma.com/en_UK/prosciutto/how" href="https://www.prosciuttodiparma.com/en_UK/prosciutto/how">

https://www.prosciuttodiparma.com/en_UK/prosciutto/how

Oh, doubtless. But terroir is present too; hams cured similarly elsewhere taste grand, but not quite the same... at least, so say the guys with the palates and expense accounts and columns...
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Mmmmm. Prosciutto and arugula pizza... Now I'm getting hungry.

Oh, doubtless. But terroir is present too; hams cured similarly elsewhere taste grand, but not quite the same... at least, so say the guys with the palates and expense accounts and columns...
    Ever compared Parma ham and Serrano ham?Not a huge difference.If somebody would like to give me a column and an expense account,I would be happy to research the topic further.

We have said it before, but it still has merit: We need a ham tasting competition. Everyone bring their favorite ham, we meet on neutral ground, both winners and losers go home happy!

t is the milk, they say, which makes both the cheese and the ham taste so good. The pigs traditionally drink the whey from the cheese making. . . .

Before you ascend to greater heights, have you ever tasted whey?

This nasty stuff, but attractive to spiders, according to legend. . Nowadays a surprising new market has developed among bodybuilders, who have a reputation for some of the most expensive pee anywhere.

I'm sure that the overwhelmingly dominant part of the flavor of prosciutto comes from the curing processes, but producers make a big deal about the breed of pigs too, and what they're fed. Which probably has some impact, but the magical properties of the whey from Parma's equally questionable legendary dairy cattle graded on traditional pastures only in specific months of the year... are doubtless not quite as crucial as claimed. Makes good marketing blather though.

. . . legendary dairy cattle graded on traditional pastures only in specific months of the year... are doubtless not quite as crucial as claimed. Makes good marketing blather though.
    Every ranch I ever worked on kept pigs, to supply meat for the family and the help (way cheaper than eating your own beef). Those with milk cows usually made their own butter, sometimes cheese, and fed the whey to the pigs. They also fed them rotten eggs, table scraps, kitchen waste, dead chickens, calves and lambs, you name it. T'ain't legal, but the West is a lawless place.

So's Italy, I reckon. And pigs is pigs. If the farmer falls into the pen, they'll eat him, too.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-eaten-by-pigs

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/22/oregon-farmer-convicted/26168073/

And having eaten all that muck, pigs transform it into bacon, ribs, ham, etc. French farmers apparently called the family pig "the gentleman who pays rent".

BTW, I hate auto correct. Changing perfectly good (and often quite ordinary) words into ridiculous ones behind one's back.

I have been to Parma. They are very proud of their ham and cheese.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

There's an engaging novel that centers the pig in village culture and subsistence:

If you've not read John Berger, he's worth getting to know.