Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keyhavenpotterer has passed .

Default Re: Keyhavenpotterer has passed .

I met Brian on a couple of occasions, a very nice man and extremely knowledgeable about small boats. My condolences to Anne, Ed and the rest of his family.

Nick

Thank-you for all your kind words and thoughts.

After a year and a half battle involving surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy for a glioblastoma brain cancer, he fell asleep on Saturday then passed over the bar very peacefully on Monday evening in his home with his family at his bedside aged 66.

Born in Bradford, Yorkshire, throughout his life his greatest love was dinghy sailing and later included mountain biking and recently open water swimming off the beach. He greatly enjoyed following threads on the Wooden boat forum, and it was a great comfort to him through his illness.

He was a great father to me, and we were close, working together for a time, now with my mother, and working in he village I grew up in. I've lost my sailing partner and cycling buddy. We talked boats endlessly, and spent most of our lives buying, renovating and trying different designs going 50:50. Looking back i'm trying to remember when was the last sail, that last ride. I didn't realise at the time. Mum's lost her husband of nearly 50 years. I've lost my father and best mate.

Dad was a racer, his chosen craft: the Lymington river Scow successfully winning 3-4 series on the trot. I know his favourite one, Ula he got to a Zen like state with it. I remember he just steered it small weight shifts. He was adament to dial out weather helm. I remeber his advice was to look for the second best place on the start line...so he could avoid the over crowding at the 'best place'. He always won his race on boat speed. Sailing all through winter ready for the season openers. I remember it caused some problems with friends sailing in the races so he sold it, but then bought a spare moulding of a lapstrake Keyhaven scow. These are regarded as slower, but he put a carbon rig on it, and I remember him gluing structural foam under the gunwale then glassing it in, so it twisted less. Made his own foils, I bought him a new sail and he went out and won again. His carbon mast was too floppy, even with kevlar braiding, but he found it enabled him to point higher as he could get the mast to bend away from the lug sail reducing turbulence. I remember his advice to tip the boat so the leach goes up and more horizontal to put the main area of the sail higher on a run where the wind was stronger.

His keyhaven scow wasn't eligable for the national Lymington River Scow race, so he borrowed a friends unused boat one year and came second. At that level there are good sailors from Lymington who race hard. I remember him winning the Keyhaven to Newtown there and back race with a Laser stratos we had at the time.

Looking back, we had the most fun together with this one...it had a big gennaker and a bulbed keel, like a Dix 15. I was helming and he played the genny. It was on the edge of too windy but the boat ran so fast down to Lymington, flying spray on the edge of control. I remember at the time the slight play in the the rudder was making it steer and just trying to keep the boat under the stick. It could point into the apparent wind that boat too.

He also raced Wednesday evenings at Lymington with his long time friends as crew, again winning silverware. In this aspect we were different. I see the opposite shoreline and want to go over there with a crusing mentalilty to relax, whereas Dad was a 'round the cans guy. That's what made him pumped, and he'd thought about all the back eddies and tide flows he could. Constantly watching his tell tales, i didn't get much peace on the helm.

He also enjoyed sailing canoes. The length to beam ratio and low designed displacement for the reduction in wetted area and wave making resistance. He loved his Solway Dory with outriggers amoung other sailing canoes that came by. He showed his friends with scows, and demonstrated they were faster but couldn't get them interested.

My earliest sailing memory is sailing to Cherbourg from Lymington when I was about 8 perhaps. Dad worked for B&G who make yacht instruments and the MD had a Nic 38 that we and another family used to cross. He gave me a love of sailing, boat design, mountain bikes and F1.

On the cycling side he had the n+1, willing to try new things. Loved his Moonlander, electric Kona Ute but his greatest love was his Salsa Fargo geared as a singlespeed. He was about to try 29+ with a Singular Rooster frameset...

In his work life he spent the majority of his career at B&G instruments getting upto to Production Director. After working hard as a consultant it became harder to find good work as he got older and ended up working for me in my Veterinary practice then stopped a few years ago, so he had enjoyed his last years, early retirement being somewhat forced on him.

I'm somewhat bereft, but feeling relief that he 's not struggling with his condition any more. I remember after surgery in recovery he wanted to talk about which trimaran would now be best. I started a Marples 10, but quickly saw he would be too weak to get in and out. A sailor to the end, out racing a Scow on the Solent was his happiest place.

Given this internet age I've noticed there are a few photos on line which I might collate here.
    Last edited by Edward Pearson; 07-30-2017 at 02:41 PM.

I'm very sorry to hear it. Condolences for your loss; glad he passed peacefully.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

He only ever raced with a cream sail so this is him in Lymington River Scow 365 that he borrowed getting his second.

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 07-31-2017 at 04:47 AM.

This one 249, his last one, a Keyhaven simulated clinker version he fitted out from mouldings with a carbon rig.

His in his sailing canoe. He'd use this to go off down the Solent as it was faster and less affected by tide.

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 07-31-2017 at 04:48 AM.

Enjoying his Bangor Packet

Dad with an Oughtred Gannet.

Checking out Sopranino at Cowes. That was good day.

Enjoying his Moonlander.

Last edited by Edward Pearson; 07-30-2017 at 03:55 PM.

So sorry to hear about your father. His insights about small craft were always valued by me.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Please have my deep and sincere condolence for your loss.

My father died about a year and half ago, suffering terribly from Parkinson's and the indignity visited upon him by the disease. He too was able to pass in his own home surrounded by family. It is only recently, with the passage of time, that the magnitude of his loss begins to seep into my bones.

I enjoyed the photographs that Keyhavenpotterer contributed to the Forum. One in particular sticks with me, that is, a Caledonia Yawl under construction in the traditional manner and in the process of being planked up. You won't see a photo like that everyday, and I thank him for sharing it.

So sorry to hear this.

I am terribly sorry to hear this. Seems like Mr. Pearson was a truly good chap, one of those the world needs a lot more of.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

I'm sorry to learn of his passing.We met a few years ago at Beale Park and had a chat.I have known few men so focused on boats and I know Brian posted in many other places.I had noticed his absence here and hoped it was because a new project had absorbed him.Sadly,not the case.Condolences to Ed and the family.

A life well lived.
    My condolences.
    I still miss my dad.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Much sympathy to you in particular Edward, having lost your father, skipper, and friend. all at once.

We are sometimes an argumentative bunch here, but I encourage you to join us on occasion if you have a mind to.
    You will be most welcome.

Very sorry to hear about Brian and condolances to you, Ed. I always enjoyed the discussions about small boats and the few private chats we had.

Andrew

Sincerest condolences. Very sad news.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Sad news. My condolences you and your families Edward.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Edward, thank you for the writing and the photos. I enjoyed your father's posts, he is one of the people who's postings I looked for. I'll miss him, my condolences to you and your family.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

Condolences to his family and also his friends, many of whom are on this forum.

Fair winds . . .
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Sad news. My condolences.

RIP to a fine Forumite. Condolences to friends and family.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Back in the world of electronics after a week camping and / sailing, very sad loved all Brian's posts. My sympathies to Brian's loved ones.