Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Bow shed for storage

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    9,718

    Default Bow shed for storage

    Now that my 18' Palmer launch is finished, I'll need somewhere to store her during the winter. Right now it's in my garage, but my Jeep is spoiled and will want the garage back once the snow starts piling up.
    I'd like to put a bow shed next to the garage for the boat but can only find the ones that are 10' tall and 10' wide. Since they are so unsightly, I'd like to keep the size down to about 6' tall and 8' wide. I need more of a cocoon then a full sized one car garage. This also needs to be 20' long.
    Any ideas out there or suggestions on how to build one without complicated metal bending of the support tubes?
    One idea I had was to buy the 10' tall one and cut it down. Can this be done? Anyone have experience with these things?
    I'm also in heavy snow-load country, so that has to be taken into consideration.
    I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible and I tend to always come up with the most complex solutions to problems!
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    S.W. Florida
    Posts
    2,148

    Default Re: Bow shed for storage

    Sorry, no first hand experience.
    If you paste this: site:http://forum.woodenboat.com/ "Bow shed"
    in your browser search window, you'll get a list of previous bow shed threads on the forum.

    Good luck & have fun!

    Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

    Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,913

    Default Re: Bow shed for storage

    How about laminating up a set of arches, let's say out of framing lumber rippings, 1 1/2" x 3" finished, four foot centers you'd need six. Splice them onto CCA 4x4 legs and bury the ends in the ground. 1x3 longitudinals and a cute front end. Plant some shrubs down the side. Good lumber storage as well.

    Don't forget to consider snow sliding off the roofs of adjacent buildings and the snow sliding off the bowshed itself. The snow needs space to pile up.

    Jim

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    9,718

    Default Re: Bow shed for storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    How about laminating up a set of arches, let's say out of framing lumber rippings, 1 1/2" x 3" finished, four foot centers you'd need six. Splice them onto CCA 4x4 legs and bury the ends in the ground. 1x3 longitudinals and a cute front end. Plant some shrubs down the side. Good lumber storage as well.

    Don't forget to consider snow sliding off the roofs of adjacent buildings and the snow sliding off the bowshed itself. The snow needs space to pile up.

    Jim
    Laminating arches seems like a good idea. A lot of work, but since I'm retired, I've got the time to do it. The shed would be away from the garage. I'll have my 14' plywood fishing boat, all covered in plastic, next to the garage. The bow shed would be next to that. Plenty of room for snow.
    Shrubs along the side? I don't think so...
    I could just drape the boat in plastic tarps like my fishing boat, but fear for all those highly varnished surfaces. I'd like a nice airy bow shed.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    New York, NY USA
    Posts
    996

    Default Re: Bow shed for storage

    Why not just build a wooden extension to the garage? It wouldn't be as ugly as a plastic sheet arched structure and it would be supported by the existing garage. Perhaps a lean-to with wood framed roof and walls.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    9,718

    Default Re: Bow shed for storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cumming View Post
    Why not just build a wooden extension to the garage? It wouldn't be as ugly as a plastic sheet arched structure and it would be supported by the existing garage. Perhaps a lean-to with wood framed roof and walls.
    That's one of the options. Solid, shingled roof with open sides. Tarp sidewalls for the winter.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Bow shed for storage

    I got my plans from Shamrock aquaponics. simple design with engineered plans. They sell 3 different size options but you could cut them to any any height so long as they were all the same. You can build them to any length so long as you don't get bored building the same thing over and over.

    This plan uses dimensional lumber, ripped to specific size and then bent around a building jig. Clamp it up and Add glue, nails and some screws. Then mark the end angles and cut them. Release the clamps and repeat. Good luck!

    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...roof-boat-shed
    A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

    http://www.seadreamerproject.com
    http://www.youtube.com/c/SixPointsWoodWorks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    139

    Default Re: Bow shed for storage

    Quote Originally Posted by scott2640 View Post
    I got my plans from Shamrock aquaponics. simple design with engineered plans. They sell 3 different size options but you could cut them to any any height so long as they were all the same. You can build them to any length so long as you don't get bored building the same thing over and over.

    This plan uses dimensional lumber, ripped to specific size and then bent around a building jig. Clamp it up and Add glue, nails and some screws. Then mark the end angles and cut them. Release the clamps and repeat. Good luck!

    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...roof-boat-shed
    The design looks similar to a Stimson Shed. It uses 1x3 pine (fir?) strapping found at most lumber yards and is bent around a jig. Super simple to build and very durable. Mine was up for 6 years and sold the bows when I took it down 2 years ago. If I remember correctly, there are really simple formulas in the plans to build it to any size you want.

    You can order plans here: http://www.by-the-sea.com/stimsonmarine/bowroof.html

    Snow and wind loads are no problem, here is a photo of mine after being up for 4 or 5 years. The lumps in the foreground are 14' boats to help give perspective.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Champlain, Vermont
    Posts
    2,301

    Default Re: Bow shed for storage

    What you really need, Rich, is a simple Vermont equipment shed and it wants to have at least three bays, because I have a feeling you will fill it in no time.... https://www.google.com/search?q=farm...w=1910&bih=898

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    9,718

    Default Re: Bow shed for storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    What you really need, Rich, is a simple Vermont equipment shed and it wants to have at least three bays, because I have a feeling you will fill it in no time.... https://www.google.com/search?q=farm...w=1910&bih=898
    I'd love nothing better then a boat-barn, but I just can't justify the cost. Sure would be sweet to put all three boat trailers in one building along with lawn tractor, etc.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Concord, Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,164

    Default Re: Bow shed for storage

    Rich:

    I have most of the lumber for a bow shed and some frames that were already built by a friend that passed over the bar before he got his boat shed done. You are more than welcomed to come and get it. You would likely need a trailer to transport.

    Fitz
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    9,718

    Default Re: Bow shed for storage

    Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    Rich:

    I have most of the lumber for a bow shed and some frames that were already built by a friend that passed over the bar before he got his boat shed done. You are more than welcomed to come and get it. You would likely need a trailer to transport.

    Fitz
    Thanks. Fitz. I'm still contemplating which direction to go with this. Permanent structure or bow shed.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Cundys Harbor, Maine
    Posts
    767

    Default Re: Bow shed for storage

    The snow that slides off the bow roof can exert high side loads on the structure. If I built one, I'd make sure there was room to run the snowblower down beside the shed. Just sayin

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    139

    Default Re: Bow shed for storage

    Quote Originally Posted by CundysHarbor View Post
    The snow that slides off the bow roof can exert high side loads on the structure. If I built one, I'd make sure there was room to run the snowblower down beside the shed. Just sayin
    I think your right, and probably would have done the same had I owned a snowblower, but I never had an issue. When the snow would slide off, the force seemed to direct outward from the shed and I never saw any indication that there was an undue strain on the structure. The photo I posted above has about 8' piled up on the sides. The only times I would worry about the structure were when we would have a storm start as ice/freezing rain and then turn to heavy wet snow. The freezing rain was the only thing that would stick to the shrink wrap and would tend to hold the snow on the shed. 2 feet of wet snow along a 40' ridgeline is a lot of weight. On these occasions I would fire up the propane torpedo heater inside the shed and within 20 minutes it would melt the ice stuck to the shrink wrap and everything would slough off in big satisfying heaps.

    Of course, every spring during mud season would require the use of waterproof boots in the shed at ground level though when everything melted off though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •