Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Urban Prairies & watching Cities Die.

Default Re: Urban Prairies & watching Cities Die.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Ghost Fleet Mallows Bay Maryland

Now THAT would be an interesting restoration job!
    John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Ye Olde Abandoned Renaissance Faire, Fredericksburg, Virginia

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

Wonder if any other country abandons so much and just leaves it. (Maybe Italy?) There was a half-finished skyscraper downtown where construction was stopped in the 1929 crash. The steel skeleton was still standing in the 1950s, finally torn down in the 1960s.

There is no doubt in my mind that cities built on old technology that fail to change will die. Detroit failed. They will be reborn when we adopt a new model for urban landscape and the technology that supports them. Not before.

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Some great sets for dystopian films.

Cheap, too.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Wonder if any other country abandons so much and just leaves it. (Maybe Italy?) There was a half-finished skyscraper downtown where construction was stopped in the 1929 crash. The steel skeleton was still standing in the 1950s, finally torn down in the 1960s.

at least we use our first.

http://www.businessinsider.com/these...-stand-empty-2

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    There is no doubt in my mind that cities built on old technology that fail to change will die. Detroit failed. They will be reborn when we adopt a new model for urban landscape and the technology that supports them. Not before.
    Cities 60 feet away from Detroit do quite well. What old technology is it that can't cross a street?

Cities 60 feet away from Detroit do quite well. What old technology is it that can't cross a street?
    I don't think that your question makes any sense or demonstrates any understanding of what I said.

What happens when Government enters the same abandoned state?

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    What happens when Government enters the same abandoned state?
    You mean when it abandons new energy technology in favor of coal? When it abandons valid news sources in favor of partisan lies? When it abandons education entirely? When we abandon real science in favor of supporting partisan agendas? When it abandons capital investment in roads and bridges in favor of military arms and tax breaks? I think we will look more like Detroit every day until we reverse our direction.

fasinating.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

If everyone wanted a new build there would be no restoration.
    Makin old new again is magic.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

A glimpse of what remains of where I worked the summers of 1972, 1973, 1974 and from 8/76 until 9/97.

The open section in the video once contained a 2 story part of the plant with a paint department on the 2nd floor. It has been demolished.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you have heard this bull before.

There's condos where The Shipyards were.
    Things sure have changed in our town.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

^
    They sure have. I drove Rt 57 from Rt 2 in Elyria to Broadway to Lake Road in Lorain this past May.

I remember when Lorain, Ohio was a vibrant manufacturing City in the 60's and 70's. Steel mills, ship building and auto building... all gone.

Some parts are new, pretty and alive. Other parts not so much.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 07-28-2017 at 10:21 PM.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you have heard this bull before.

https://assets.stuff.co.nz/video/pro...08528-chch.mp4

Natural events such as earthquakes can do it too.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    https://assets.stuff.co.nz/video/pro...08528-chch.mp4

Natural events such as earthquakes can do it too.

Wow
    That reminds me of New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina
    Skip

Unfinished?
    It is written...

There's a quote from a painter I like "Painters alway only live half a life"
    Meaning there's never enough tim to 'finish' and there never would be.

just got back from a cross country drive... into some remote parts of Colorado. there are even abandoned rail roads apparently and the power poles along side are even fallen into disrepair... lots of stolen glass insulators but not all of them
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

I don't think that your question makes any sense or demonstrates any understanding of what I said.
    As far as understanding, I'll leave that discussion to you and Dan...but part of Dan's question is rooted in the relationship between Detroit and the neighboring municipalities.

Jeff C

Detroit didn't actually die. It was taken over by the city government, which threw the people out. The vacant land is owned by the city, which supports itself by taxing the land that it owns.
    And from what I read, is rapidly being gentrified by vastly overtaxing properties, often at 10X market value.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Ghost Fleet Mallows Bay Maryland

I never knew about this. I'm astonished the government has never cleaned it up. I'm all for historical preservation and all, but this is just a junkyard obstructing and contaminating with rust, what could be a beautiful harbor.

Detroit didn't fail because of technology, it failed because of poverty, fueled by corruption. When you look around the world at governments that succeed or fail, corruption is usually the deciding factor, not ideology. Because when not corrupt, they are honest about realities and adapt with pragmatic solutions, usually a la carte and not skewing completely one way or the other. Also, diversification of industries, good schools, careful urban planning, and building for the long term rather than a disposable mentality helps a whole lot. Do you think the governments and developers of today would set aside "unprofitable" land the size of Central Park in NYC? Not a chance. But think about NYC without it.

This Old House just did a series on fixing up two homes in Detroit.

http://www.pbs.org/show/old-house/episodes/

Episodes 17 to 26 cover the Detroit redoes. It really sounds hopeful that Detroit is finding ways to get to a rebirth.
    Will

Soviet abandoned towns and military facilities

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

lots of you guys act like Detroit's decay is relatively new. Its been going on for 50 years. Knopfler wrote the song Telegraph Road about it in 1981. Read the lyrics, its not new.

I noticed dozens of train engines parked off of I-10 in Arizona near Benson. Didn't get any pictures myself, but they can be seen on Google Maps...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Em...4d-110.5103712

Here's a local article about them...

http://tucson.com/business/local/idl...f3ad54436.html

Hundreds of locomotives are sitting idle in Southern Arizona — a stark illustration of the impact of the energy market’s recession on the railroad industry.Nationwide, about 1,400 Union Pacific locomotives — more than 16 percent of the company’s fleet — are parked in various staging areas off the main line.

“The combination of an energy market recession, low commodity prices, the strength of the U.S. dollar and generally soft global economy, as well as muted U.S. retail demand, have all contributed to overall market weakness across many of our business lines,” said Tom Lange, assistant vice president of corporate communications for Union Pacific.
    Last edited by BrianW; 07-29-2017 at 01:24 AM.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

In 1982 a friend in Kansas City MO was a hot young architect working for a prestigious old firm. His specialty was remodeling shopping malls. The economy was in a prolonged recession, there was no new construction. My friend quickly burned out and longed to go do real art in New Mexico. However, the managing partners kept making him higher and higher offers to stay. He used to say the malls would be the ghost towns of the future. I didn't believe him them, it all came true. The last deluxe shopping centers built in the area have been drive up to the store and park developments, not unlike the earlier first shopping center, the 1920's Plaza, itself an imitation of a pedestrian friendly Spanish village.
    "Never get out of the boat." Apocalypse (Then)

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Washington County Mississippi had a population in 1960 of 78,638. In 2016, the estimated population was 47,231. In 2010, 71% of the population were black. That is a result of "every white family in the county held on average more than eighty slaves" by 1850. About 30% of the population is below the poverty line. There are many empty houses and buildings that are just rotting away with help from the termites. It is about 70 miles to the closest interstate highway. Most schools are failing. I don't think Trump is going to make it great again.

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    As far as understanding, I'll leave that discussion to you and Dan...but part of Dan's question is rooted in the relationship between Detroit and the neighboring municipalities.

Jeff C
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Detroit didn't fail because of technology, it failed because of poverty, fueled by corruption. When you look around the world at governments that succeed or fail, corruption is usually the deciding factor, not ideology. Because when not corrupt, they are honest about realities and adapt with pragmatic solutions, usually a la carte and not skewing completely one way or the other. Also, diversification of industries, good schools, careful urban planning, and building for the long term rather than a disposable mentality helps a whole lot. Do you think the governments and developers of today would set aside "unprofitable" land the size of Central Park in NYC? Not a chance. But think about NYC without it.
    Don't you both think that the decline in steel and the automotive industries were instrumental in the decline of Detroit? Both of those American industries failed to keep up with foreign competition and development. The cities neighboring Detroit are not single-industry communities as far as I can see. Yes, Detroit has many problems, but they all grow worse when there are no jobs.

Don't you both think that the decline in steel and the automotive industries were instrumental in the decline of Detroit? Both of those American industries failed to keep up with foreign competition and development. The cities neighboring Detroit are not single-industry communities as far as I can see. Yes, Detroit has many problems, but they all grow worse when there are no jobs.
    Of course...decline of industry was a huge factor, along with really terrible leadership going all the way back to the immediate post WWII era.

Jeff C