Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunkirk the movie

Default Dunkirk the movie

I glanced at the other thread and was disgusted.So I am starting my own.....No politics (except info about the battle / retreat), and please,no demeaning of other forum members.

I saw the movie last night and was generally disapointed. I was prepared from other reviews to be shocked by the sight of container gantries, some 25 years before they were invented.

I was really upset that they did not do better with the aeroplane stuff, just three ersatz Spitfires. No Merlin engine growl.

I'm not going to comment about the "little ships" scene, because I'm too close to it. I will say I was gobsmacked to see a Thames barge under motor.

There was a whole scene in a beached trawler, which I completely failed to understand.

Two stars on the Garethometer (and one star is for having an actor called "Aneuryn".)
    Last edited by Hwyl; 07-28-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Default Re: Dunkirk the movie

So, not very happy with it then I take it?
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

I was disappointed also
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

The Dunkirk movie was just seen at the Autonation IMAX Theater in Fort Lauderdale.

Most of the movie was shot in the IMAX format. It was visually amazing to observe the cinematography on the six-story-tall screen, w/ the 4K IMAX laser projector and to feel the vibrations from the 52,000 watt sound system. (They will be upgrading soon to 1.21 Jigawatts...)

This is hands-down THE BEST theater to experience these movies.
    2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
    Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI Horizon 380hp
    Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
    many cool mods

1994 Edey & Duff Columbia 11' Rowing / Sailing Dinghy

I noticed the cranes as well. Wasn't certain but I was thinking that container shipping came along well after WW2.

Movie was disjointed, too fragmented. Was disappointed as well.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

This IMAX video about the movie is interesting.

Dunkirk IMAX® Behind the Frame
    2000 SeaRay 380 Sundancer
    Mercruiser 454 MAG MPI Horizon 380hp
    Westerbeke 7.0KW BCGB
    many cool mods

1994 Edey & Duff Columbia 11' Rowing / Sailing Dinghy

Historical accuracy sometimes falls short in story telling. Ignorance of the progress of technology is the bane of most modern filmmakers. Use of the container was a producers decision.

when the longest day was shot in 1960 - it was much easier to recreate as most of the pieces were there. I would even suggest reshooting saving private Ryan would be quite difficult in the landing beaches in Normandy as the whole place has become a Disneyish presentation of the battles in many places.
    There is nothing you can do with an ape/human hybrid. They'll rip your arm off.

Saw an interview with the director. Interestingly he said they used real people rather than computer generated crowds as seen in Troy and so many other battle movies. Watching pbs for years I'm often struck at the Brits attention to detail. The uniforms look like real wool and cotton. Strangely recently on MY MOTHER AND OTHER STRANGERS and FOYLES WAR, the American uniforms not quite on the mark. Recall the combat scenes in Gallipoli. Very memorable.

We saw it last night. It occurs to me that as in other bits of cinema or TV, one's familiarity with this or that "actual" element of a story's setting (or in other shows, with an actual character) can get in the way of the film's intent. I often find that when a story is built around someone who is supposed to be playing piano, but really can't. Or someone who supposedly sings opera, plays cello, does some kind of swordplay, etc. Ignorance of such things when they get bits wrong on screen means that one can be emotional about what the film maker was emotional about, and not hung up on what I get hung up about.

My two lads, both the age of the ordinary soldiers on screen, were deeply moved. Herself was impressed by the very reserved but massive courage of the man who took his family vessel, and his son. Self effacing but quietly driven by a sense of duty. We never learned the man's name, so he is an "everyman" representing the country. As were the even more nameless men bringing the other little boats.

The story is powerful not because of the aircraft or correct vessels, but because it is a fable, which happens to also be a telling of something historical. As my one lad said, "the movie really didn't have an ending, eh? But I guess that really wasn't the end, in 1940."
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

The "everyman" in the private boat was flying the blue ensign, which signifies he's a member of a "Royal" yacht club. So at least, upper middle class.

Oh, sure. But "George" wasn't. Nor presumably were the nameless men who were representing fishermen on other small craft, but exhibiting the same response to duty.

It is romanticized, no doubt, but it is a movie after all.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Directors and producers have often been missing the mark in regard to continuity with military aircraft since the genre was invented. Not many will modify a squadron of AT-6's in order to make "Zero's" as they did with "Pearl Harbor". We owe an awful lot of what we've seen in theatres over the years to the fighter aircraft gun cameras used in WW2.

I saw Dunkirk last night at the Cinerama. The pacing was amazing. It reminded me a lot of the most recent Mad Max movie. (Fine movie. Better than Dunkirk by far.) There were no rests in Dunkirk. Very few pauses in the intensity. As a war film, it covered a storyline that I wasn't too familiar with.

Now, for the boats ... I wished there had been more small wooden boats.

I think the sinking trawler storyline was supposed indicate just how badly these guys wanted off that beach. But yeah, that was a weird rabbit hole they went down. Agreed.

I'd probably be willing to see it again in the theater.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

way to loud
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Given all that, Gareth, was Mark Rylance's performance worth it? He's one of my favorite actors (Bridge of Spies, Wolf Hall).
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Yes, it was very well acted. Rylance was particularly good.
    Last edited by Hwyl; 07-30-2017 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    I saw Dunkirk last night at the Cinerama. The pacing was amazing. It reminded me a lot of the most recent Mad Max movie. (Fine movie. Better than Dunkirk by far.) There were no rests in Dunkirk. Very few pauses in the intensity. As a war film, it covered a storyline that I wasn't too familiar with.

Now, for the boats ... I wished there had been more small wooden boats.

I think the sinking trawler storyline was supposed indicate just how badly these guys wanted off that beach. But yeah, that was a weird rabbit hole they went down. Agreed.

I'd probably be willing to see it again in the theater.
    I haven't seen Dunkirk, but thought the last MM movie was just the biggest steaming pile turd I'd seen in a long while- and I didn't go into it with any expectations. At least the first ones had a hint of a plot.
    As my then 19yo son put it, they drive out into the desert, and f@@k a lot of $hit up, then they drive back again doing more of the same.
    On that measure, Dunkirk must be the most abysmal piece of story telling ever to go on film, because MM had a story that would struggle to complete with something written by a fifth grade student about "what I did over the weekend".

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

<lol> C'mon, Pete; tell us what you really think!
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I want to know more about the "principle boat" captained by the (always great) Mark Rylance. From what I've been able to find out, some of the other boats used are actual "Little Ships" craft, but I don't think Rylance's boat is. What caught my eye particularly was the second chrome wheel that he is seen cranking -- if I'm not mistaken, I believe that is the Kitchen rudder control -- very cool, and very British!

Tom

Oh, and feel free to sign my name to the "Fury Road" was a steaming pile of dragon ****e petition, thank you.

I purposefully avoided thinking about the real Dunkirk or commenting on it while seeing the movie with my SO and her son.
    If you are a serious history buff many aspects of the film will be jarring, and they could easily wreck it for you. Tom F. mentioned his problem with piano playing, I have the same kind of problems with things that I am familiar with.
    I watched a long interview with the director, and a few things stuck with me.
    He decided he wanted to make the movie after a pretty rough passage he made in a friends sailboat from England to Dunkirk 20 years ago. “It was difficult and maybe life threatening, and I thought, if it’s this hard for us, what was it like for the people who went to the battle?”
    The reviewer said that Dunkirk is a ticking clock movie. Everyone is running out of time.
    The script is 74 pages. Very little dialog, almost all the communication is visual.
    I don’t think any of this will spoil the film for those who have not seen it. The acting is great, and the audience where we saw it was clearly moved by the film. This forum is full of people who know the history, and like Gareth your knowledge of how it actually happened may wreck the film for you. I did have a few moments like that, but still enjoyed it very much and recommend it.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

Tom, Rylance's boat was built in the 1930s but was not an actual little ship.

They did sail a bunch of little ships over for the movie.

They also used an actual WWII British destroyer and the planes are real. They even hired thousands of extras instead of using CGI crowds.

They made choices when making the film. The original Dunkirk mole was long gone, and they rebuilt an accurate version for the film. As mentioned above they included non-period cranes in some shots. Over all I thought the director made good choices for most audiences, I bet I was the only person at my showing who knew the loading cranes in the port were wrong.

If the film had been called "loading cranes of WII" I would have been very upset.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

Anyone read or seen the Film version of the "The Snow Goose"? Ends with the flotilla to Dunkirk.

Ticking clock is a good description of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

A 75 year commemoration from two years ago.

A flotilla of little ships has set sail for Dunkirk to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the second world war evacuation.
    About 50 vessels left Ramsgate, Kent, on Thursday, where hundreds of people lined the harbour walls to watch them emerge on to calm seas beyond the breakwater, cheering as those aboard waved to them.

A piper played by the lighthouse as boats such as Aureol, L’Orage and Chumley – names that have gone down in history for the role they played in saving soldiers from the Dunkirk beaches in May 1940 – sailed out of the port.

Aboard one little ship, the Thames passenger vessel Princess Freda, were Dunkirk veterans Garth Wright, 95, from Plymouth, and Michael Bentall, 94, who came over from Canada for the anniversary.

Wright was impressed by the number of boats taking part in the event.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...cond-world-war
    Last edited by John of Phoenix; 07-31-2017 at 01:24 PM.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    The "everyman" in the private boat was flying the blue ensign, which signifies he's a member of a "Royal" yacht club. So at least, upper middle class.
    Not entirely correct I'm afraid - I fly the Blue Ensign of the Army Sailing Association. Nothing royal about us and the vast majority of our members are, and long have been, emphatically not middle class ! There are others ...
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hunter View Post
    I purposefully avoided thinking about the real Dunkirk or commenting on it while seeing the movie with my SO and her son.
    If you are a serious history buff many aspects of the film will be jarring, and they could easily wreck it for you. Tom F. mentioned his problem with piano playing, I have the same kind of problems with things that I am familiar with.
    I watched a long interview with the director, and a few things stuck with me.
    He decided he wanted to make the movie after a pretty rough passage he made in a friends sailboat from England to Dunkirk 20 years ago. “It was difficult and maybe life threatening, and I thought, if it’s this hard for us, what was it like for the people who went to the battle?”
    The reviewer said that Dunkirk is a ticking clock movie. Everyone is running out of time.
    The script is 74 pages. Very little dialog, almost all the communication is visual.
    I don’t think any of this will spoil the film for those who have not seen it. The acting is great, and the audience where we saw it was clearly moved by the film. This forum is full of people who know the history, and like Gareth your knowledge of how it actually happened may wreck the film for you. I did have a few moments like that, but still enjoyed it very much and recommend it.
    I had a few wrecked moments but over all thought it was accurate as far as it went

I didn't know that Whameller. I'm a red duster guy if I have to be, then occasionally Y Ddraig Goch.

I saw an interview with a Dunkirk veteran a couple of days ago. He said it was the first movie he'd seen that showed what it was really like. He said all previous attempts were "rubbish".

Rick

Haven't seen it yet, but from these comments, it sounds almost as bad as Pearl Harbor, with Japanese Zeros flying knife-edge between buildings , ships etc....typical Hollywood crap...

I was also disappointed with it Gareth - the advertising was better than the movie.......SPOILER ALERT

Some of the cinematography was terrific but the “1 week, 1 day, 1 hour” format was quite annoying, even once we realised what was going on with it half way through the movie.

And it wasn’t just the container gantries but the bright green (polycarbonate walls?) warehouses, the 60’s-70’s apartment blocks along the beach in the background as the “Spitfire” flew along it and I couldn’t help wondering just how that Spit' managed to get into the air, let alone stay up until the fuel ran out - the burning wreck had no engine in it .

As for the Dunkirk veteran suggesting it was the first he’d seen that showed what it was really like, I do wonder about the veracity of that claim (i.e. did a vet’ really say that?)....the beach got straffed and the jetty got bombed - but when the camera goes back it appears that no one was killed or injured, the soldiers miraculously all got up again...????? No bodies on the beach, no blood.......a very clean and sanitised evacuation.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Anyone read or seen the Film version of the "The Snow Goose"? Ends with the flotilla to Dunkirk.

I saw it when it came out in the 70’s, I think it was the first movie that bought me to tears (and I think Jenny Agutter was my first screen crush) and for some reason remembering it prior to going to see “Dunkirk" a similar effect.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

^ No comparison to the Pearl Harbor flik. Go see it. Luckily for me, I know nothing about cranes, so wasn't bothered about them.
    It is a very worthwhile movie.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post

As for the Dunkirk veteran suggesting it was the first he’d seen that showed what it was really like, I do wonder about the veracity of that claim (i.e. did a vet’ really say that?)....the beach got straffed and the jetty got bombed - but when the camera goes back it appears that no one was killed or injured, the soldiers miraculously all got up again...????? No bodies on the beach, no blood.......a very clean and sanitised evacuation.
    Calgary veteran who survived Dunkirk causes a stir at movie premiere

http://globalnews.ca/news/3617564/ca...ovie-premiere/
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I was also disappointed with it Gareth - the advertising was better than the movie.......SPOILER ALERT

Some of the cinematography was terrific but the “1 week, 1 day, 1 hour” format was quite annoying, even once we realised what was going on with it half way through the movie.

And it wasn’t just the container gantries but the bright green (polycarbonate walls?) warehouses, the 60’s-70’s apartment blocks along the beach in the background as the “Spitfire” flew along it and I couldn’t help wondering just how that Spit' managed to get into the air, let alone stay up until the fuel ran out - the burning wreck had no engine in it .

This is the chap: http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-0...62?pfmredir=sm

I didn't notice the modern stuff. I did think the plane shooting down another after he ran out of fuel was pretty silly.

Rick

Three Spitfires and a Hispano Buchon were used.... the latter painted to represent a Bf109

Other 'planes were a tad smaller

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"