Thread: Internet browsers

Default Internet browsers

I've been using Firefox, but just got a pop up in my hotmail box saying Edge by Microsoft is faster and more secure. Opinions on browsers, and while I'm at it your 2 cents on ad blockers would be welcome. I'm currently running Adblock.
    So many questions, so little time.

Default Re: Internet browsers

I've been using Chrome for quite a while now.

I suspect that the differences among browsers are not all that large... and that the choice is really one of familiarity, more than technical merit. I'm sure they all do the fundamental job... but you might like the features of one, over the other. If you're familiar with Firefox, you'll probably like it better than another browser that you have to 'learn'.

Right now, I'm sitting at the kitchen table, using a Chromebook... whose operating system is essentially just the Chrome browser, itself... so there are no other choices. Fortunately, it's the same as the Chrome browser I run on my Windows 10 machine that I use in the office.... so it all feels the same.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
    I've been using Firefox, but just got a pop up in my hotmail box saying Edge by Microsoft is faster and more secure. Opinions on browsers, and while I'm at it your 2 cents on ad blockers would be welcome. I'm currently running Adblock.
    Are you having speed problems? Are you feeling insecure? If not, no reason to change. I use Firefox and Chrome, but for no particular reason.

Microsoft has a program it wants to profit from. So they try to sell you on it. If you want to help out Microsoft, change to Edge.
    Life is complex.

NoScript Firefox Extension (LINK)

NoScript Firefox extension provides extra protection for Firefox, Seamonkey and other mozilla-based browsers: this free, open source add-on allows JavaScript, Java, Flash and other plugins to be executed only by trusted web sites of your choice (e.g. your online bank).
    I turned off javascript for a whole week and it was glorious. (LINK)

THERE'S ANOTHER WEB out there, a better web hiding just below the surface of the one we surf from our phones and tablets and laptops every day. A web with no ads, no endlessly scrolling pages, and no annoying modal windows begging you to share the site on social media or sign up for a newsletter. The best part is that you don't need a special browser extension or an invite-only app to access this alternate reality. All you need to do is change one little setting in your browser of choice. Just un-tick the checkbox that enables "JavaScript" and away you go, to a simpler, cleaner web.

“What use is a house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on?”

~~~ Henry David Thoreau

I've long been a fan of the Opera browser which I am using now with it's built in ad blocker. Works fine. I also have most other browsers on my desktop just to check that any changes I make to my web page still function on all. But Opera is my go-to everyday browser.

I don't worry much about ad blocks because I turn the computer's sound off, I have a working IGNORE function between my ears, and my right pinkie can touch type the the down scroll button. There are some sites with incredibly aggressive ads but those tend to be either totally fake news or even if remotely true are dumbed down to total imbecility. I tend not to visit such places a second time.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Are you having speed problems? Are you feeling insecure? If not, no reason to change. I use Firefox and Chrome, but for no particular reason.

Microsoft has a program it wants to profit from. So they try to sell you on it. If you want to help out Microsoft, change to Edge.
    Ummm... Edge (like most browsers) is free.

To the OP: I would not switch to Edge, it is the least compatible browser (of the majors) with the latest HTML standards. I'd stick with Firefox or (if you like Google tracking you) Chrome.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I use Chrome with Adblock Plus. Works OK; I'm used to it.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I have used Firefox since version 3.Knowledgeable people recommended using adblock and no-script,so I do,and it works well.

I'm forced to use a machine not my own, which has only Edge and no ad blockers. Every other minute, it locks up, churning and churning and churning. When I was running Firefox, and ad blocker, and had Flash Player disabled with a prompt to use (most ads run Flash Player), it ran fast. And that was an older machine.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Adobe has FINALLY officially killed Flash.

My old MacBook Pro with Safari died and I have since been using a cheap Windows laptop at home and a Windows desktop pc at work using both Chrome and FireFox.

Ugh.... just dig a hole and bury me.
    " Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy. You in America will see that some day."

" The truth is that men are tired of liberty."

-- Benito Mussolini

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    I'm forced to use a machine not my own, which has only Edge and no ad blockers. Every other minute, it locks up, churning and churning and churning. When I was running Firefox, and ad blocker, and had Flash Player disabled with a prompt to use (most ads run Flash Player), it ran fast. And that was an older machine.
    Turn off JavaScript and Flash in the browser.

~~~ Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by sharpiefan View Post
    Turn off JavaScript and Flash in the browser.
    Maybe it's Java I had turned off on the other machine I used to use?

But on current machine: Can't. Or would have already. Not mine. No admin privileges. Just a user. I've bitched nicely to the management about it, they'll see what they can do the next time someone is here to do maintenance.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Maybe it's Java I had turned off on the other machine I used to use?

But on current machine: Can't. Or would have already. Not mine. No admin privileges. Just a user. I've bitched nicely to the management about it, they'll see what they can do the next time someone is here to do maintenance.
    Setting browser options is *admin privilege*?!??! Crazy place.

I'd love to have a roll of the tape he's putting up in the last panel!

Print this up for the next I.T. visit.

Last edited by sharpiefan; 07-28-2017 at 07:51 PM.

~~~ Henry David Thoreau

I use Firefox and Adblock. I use Chrome on occasion.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.