Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My ideal car

Default Re: My ideal car

This may be the most practical car I ever owned. Only tires, brakes, wiperblades and an air conditioning hose. It went over 300K without a hitch, we used it as a pick-up truck and grocery getter. I sold it it at 335,000 miles still going strong, with the original clutch!
    (I designed a dingy to fit in the back with the tailgate open and we still have that)

Ol Dryfoot, the issue was that the Mass. vehicle I was considering was homebuilt from a kit and the builder did not have a VIN assigned. I could not bring it to Canada and have one assigned as a home-built car. A very Catch-22 situation...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Ol Dryfoot, the issue was that the Mass. vehicle I was considering was homebuilt from a kit and the builder did not have a VIN assigned. I could not bring it to Canada and have one assigned as a home-built car. A very Catch-22 situation...
    The VIN is part of the vehicle though isn't it? If you find a kit built on the Chevette chassis, with original VIN still attached, it should qualify. I've seen some pretty heavily modified 4x4's sold back and forth across the boarder on this condition. Basically the only OEM parts remaining were the frame and portions of the body along with a more or less intact interior. Essentially, these were home built trucks, but for registration purposes, they inherited the OEM VIN.
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    ... Oddly enough, I can build one in my garage here, but I can't import one that you built from the same kit in your garage....
    How on earth would the registering authority know the difference?
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

The issue, OL' Dryfoot, was that the VIN tag was not kept on the old chassis when it was converted to the MG-TD replica. No VIN tag = no registration in NS. I don't mean to beat up on you, but it really doesn't matter how many 4x4's get sold back and forth over the BC/WA border; the car that I was looking at was denied entry into Canada on the east coast because it did not have a VIN tag applied and documented by a professional automobile builder. That was the ruling by the TC office in Halifax. End of story. Believe me, if there had been a legal way to import the car, I'd have posted pics of me in it driving the highways and byways of Nova Scotia long before this.

Figment, to import the car I would have had to go through Canada Customs & Excise and produced the requisite documents. There is/was a line to be filled out on the importation documents labelled "Builder", and C&E has up-to-date lists of registered replica car builders in the USA. If your car builder is not on that list, the car is deemed 'home-built' and not eligible for registration as a legal road vehicle on NS highways.

ok.
    Nosce te ipsum

Technically not a car. I foolishly had my wife talk me into selling mine to by a Kia.

The world's big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.

Ideal car.

The world's big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.

I'm not sure that is an "ideal" car, Ted, but it is certainly drool-worthy...

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post

Jeff C
    The Cabriolet is one of the rarer body styles. is that a 28 or a 29?

Boy, I sure mis-titled this thread, but it's a fun ride.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I think part of the fun would be to fly across country and then drive it back.

How about a 2008, black on black 6 speed. Only 15k miles. Non-s. Asking $46.5k. I can pm you the contact info.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    How about a 2008, black on black 6 speed. Only 15k miles. Non-s. Asking $46.5k. I can pm you the contact info.
    I like the mileage, let me do a little research on that year and let you know. Not "ideal" but close.

I remember cars I loved, or maybe memories had in them would be the things I love. I miss the little 'wing' vent windows of the older cars, and I miss the floor vents, but I do like power windows, A/C, and other niceties.
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

Quote Originally Posted by bob winter View Post
    The Cabriolet is one of the rarer body styles. is that a 28 or a 29?

Jeff C

On of these converted to electric, with racks in the back for bikes, paddleboards or kayaks.

'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

If I'm allowed a 2nd choice after my Morris Z ute ....

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogKid View Post
    On of these converted to electric, with racks in the back for bikes, paddleboards or kayaks.

Theres a Morrie 1000 pickup in the Waikato thats been converted to electric, conventional deep cycle batteries driving a motor out of a big forklift. The owner told me he's got about 120 km range on a charge, does all his local running around in it. Great little wagon.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

My ideal car doesn't make a mechanic to escape through the backdoor and is able to tow a small sailing craft reliably between the garage and the ramps. Most of the ordinary family cars meet those requirements well.

I'm seriously thinking of replacing my 2001 BMW 330i with a 2011 335d. With a few tweaks they make 360hp and 550ft/lb of torque while returning 40mpg hwy. There a local place that makes and installs the hidden euro style hitches. It would easily pull any of my boats, be a blast to drive and be very comfortable. A clean, low mileage example for @ $18k. Add maybe $4k for mods and hitch.

Last edited by Reynard38; 07-27-2017 at 09:21 AM.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    ...I have given up the idea of ever owning another Grand Wagoneer because people have gotten canny about selling them and any decent one you'd find they are going to want >$15K US, and I am essentially a cheapskate.
    http://bringatrailer.com/listing/197...rand-wagoneer/

Never give up.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogKid View Post

That is cool. Two years a go we bought an old ford F-150 full length bed for paddleboards, bikes and monthly hay bale trips. The drawback is trying to park it up at the lake on weekends. The truck is so long and my fellow lake goers are not always with the parking plan that I find it challenging and the Otter wont even try. A little unit like the one you are showing would check all the boxes.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues