Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My ideal car

Default My ideal car

Although not nearly as exciting as Lew's ride, I think I've decided what I want next. I bought my current '01 Boxster new but I really don't like a lot of the design and gadgetry of the current new cars. So I would love to find a low mileage 2010 Carrera. Don't really care if it is an S or even a 4 (AWD) although a C4S would be nice. And I don't want a turbo but it must be a manual trans.

I've checked online a bit but online car shopping is kind of controlled by dealers and I haven't found the perfect one yet. But I'm seriously looking if anyone happens to know of one.

Default Re: My ideal car

Very nice.

For some reason, my musings about my ideal car recently have swung to things like replica Jag XK120s with modern running gear and a set of Minilites.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

I always wanted on of these, just too damn cute !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    Very nice.

For some reason, my musings about my ideal car recently have swung to things like replica Jag XK120s with modern running gear and a set of Minilites.
    11k - Mustang II base

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-Replica...pZY4BM&vxp=mtr
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

“What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

My 'ideal car' thoughts always come with budgets.

But if we're in 'money is no object' territory... I think I'm still looking at Porsches. Anything more expensive is liable to be too ostentatious for my taste.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Mine is one that (1) runs, doesn't leak, has a heater that works, brakes and wipers.

Somebody gave me one of Lew's or a Beemer, or.... I'd sell the SOB and buy (1) above.
    Hands too small: Can't build his Wall!

Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[

Quote Originally Posted by Vince Brennan View Post
    Mine is one that (1) runs, doesn't leak, has a heater that works, brakes and wipers.

Somebody gave me one of Lew's or a Beemer, or.... I'd sell the SOB and buy (1) above.
    An excellent outlook, and one that I've endorsed for all most all of my life, even after I reached the point where I could buy any car ever dreamed of or lusted over by anyone on this forum.

Last year I said what the hell, I've saved so much on transportation over my lifetime that I simply bought a couple of the cheapest, bottom of the line, practical, brand new vehicles that I could find. Those and one other bottom of the line used sedan serve me well. The pleasure I get from a practical ride that I don't give a sh!t about exceeds any pleasure that I could get from (as an old girl friend once told me) a penis car.

Back on topic.... Why don't you want the turbo?
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

A hybrid van that can tow 3500lbs

I think my ideal "car" would be a well trained pair of hypoallergenic (!) draft horses, a bunch of various equipment they could pull, and enough of a teamster's education and experience that I could work them.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I think my ideal "car" would be a well trained pair of hypoallergenic (!) draft horses, a bunch of various equipment they could pull, and enough of a teamster's education and experience that I could work them.
    I've used Clydesdales and Belgians...

Peace,
    Robert

My trouble is that 2 of my family members are so allergic to horses, so very allergic, that the whole idea's just prohibitive. The way we discovered just how allergic our youngest is ... was when a kindergarten outing for a sleigh ride nearly stopped him breathing after about 10 minutes of sitting downwind. Herself, as a girl, had a piano teacher who rode. The residual dander just lingering in the woman's home was enough to trigger asthma. Examples of folks who'd not have survived, 150 years ago.

So my dreaming about teams of draft horses is, for me, about as likely as dreaming about a Lotus.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    My trouble is that 2 of my family members are so allergic to horses, so very allergic, that the whole idea's just prohibitive. The way we discovered just how allergic our youngest is ... was when a kindergarten outing for a sleigh ride nearly stopped him breathing after about 10 minutes of sitting downwind. Herself, as a girl, had a piano teacher who rode. The residual dander just lingering in the woman's home was enough to trigger asthma. Examples of folks who'd not have survived, 150 years ago.

So my dreaming about teams of draft horses is, for me, about as likely as dreaming about a Lotus.
    Perhaps not. Zebras, or zebra hybrids may not trigger their allergies. Maybe a Zebelgian?

What about goats? You could get a few goats and a cart?

Peace,
    Robert

Now you're just trying to get his goat...

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Perhaps not. Zebras, or zebra hybrids may not trigger their allergies. Maybe a Zebelgian?

What about goats? You could get a few goats and a cart?

Peace,
    Robert
    You know about the magic goats that pulled Thor's cart, in the Norse myths?

Could slaughter and eat them for supper, but so long as you collected the bones and put them back into the skin, next morning the goats would be as frisky as ever, ready to pull another day. None the wiser for the inconvenience (which is where for me, with only a little knowledge of goats, the story breaks down ). The only hiccup was that you couldn't break any of the bones. In the story, one of Thor's companions didn't know that little detail, and broke one of the leg bones to suck out the marrow. Next morning, the goat was lame, and Thor was not the most cheerful of dudes.

How far are you willing to travel for the right Carerra? Atlanta is a big Porsche market. I know a few people in the car business here and can ask around.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Oh, yeah. I do know some fancy car guys, too, and I've asked around. I'm actually using the fire and this car as an excuse to head into the hills.

I am going to ask one of my watercooled VW buddies about some leads on a Porsche, too.

Peace,
    Robert

Maybe it's my age, but while I enjoy driving a car that handles and responds reasonably well, how fast it accelerates is less important than how comfortable the seats are, how well the heat/ac work, the quality of the sound system, and how convenient the various controls are. Etc.

I remember taking a bit of a trip in a Corvette, and there was little foot room for the passenger.
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Back on topic.... Why don't you want the turbo?
    Don't like the hesitation. And I know many will chime in and say there is none. Hogwash.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    How far are you willing to travel for the right Carerra? Atlanta is a big Porsche market. I know a few people in the car business here and can ask around.
    I think part of the fun would be to fly across country and then drive it back.

Last edited by ron ll; 07-26-2017 at 10:20 AM.

I have my pickup truck, Maureen has her 4-door economy car. So I want a toy. One that I can afford and one that won't kill me in maintenance costs. I want a replica MG TD built on a pristine reinforced Chevette frame fitted with aftermarket performance-upgrade suspension and powered by a 2.5-litre Chev 4-banger with upgraded cam, intake and exhaust coupled to a modern 5-speed gearbox.

This week.

Next week, I'll want something different.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I have my pickup truck, Maureen has her 4-door economy car. So I want a toy. One that I can afford and one that won't kill me in maintenance costs. I want a replica MG TD built on a pristine reinforced Chevette frame fitted with aftermarket performance-upgrade suspension and powered by a 2.5-litre Chev 4-banger with upgraded cam, intake and exhaust coupled to a modern 5-speed gearbox.

This week.

Next week, I'll want something different.
    While it's far from pristine, I'm going to an auction tomorrow that has a TD replica on a Chevette chassis:

I am actively looking for a 1999-2003 Land Rover Discovery, or an early 2000's Nissan XTerra. I have given up the idea of ever owning another Grand Wagoneer because people have gotten canny about selling them and any decent one you'd find they are going to want >$15K US, and I am essentially a cheapskate.

The older I have gotten the less ambitious my 'dream' things are. Right now if I could get a decent Star boat (the metre boat dream has finally been beaten to death) and one of the above cars I listed I'd be a very happy camper. $10K US total and I am there.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

For Tom F - There exists a hypoallergenic horse - American Bashir Curly Horse - you may want to Google it - but if you stable it near
    other type horses, you will have the similar exposure to dust / allergens ( post 11 )

Rick

'Bashkir' --- spellchecker is not my friend

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    For Tom F - There exists a hypoallergenic horse - American Bashkir Curly Horse - you may want to Google it - but if you stable it near other type horses, you will have the similar exposure to dust / allergens ( post 11 )

Rick
    Now that's interesting - I had no idea. Thanks for this!

Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Perfect for a quick spin to 7-11!

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Perfect for a quick spin to 7-11!
    park it anywhere

or you can get the shorty option

Nosce te ipsum

Garret, that TD is certainly a hurtin' unit. Lotsa work to keep a tinkerer occupied, eh?

Sadly, replica cars cannot be imported into Canada, I believe, unless they are assembled in a licenced auto replica shop, with all attendant documentation and registration. Oddly enough, I can build one in my garage here, but I can't import one that you built from the same kit in your garage. (A few years back I seriously looked at buying one in Massachusetts, and found out about this roadblock when I approached my local DMV for advice on registering it in NS.)

I have enough on my to-do list that taking on a hobby car build is laughably out of the question. But we're dreamin' here, right?

Garret, that TD is certainly a hurtin' unit. Lotsa work to keep a tinkerer occupied, eh?

Sadly, replica cars cannot be imported into Canada, I believe, unless they are assembled in a licenced auto replica shop, with all attendant documentation and registration. Oddly enough, I can build one in my garage here, but I can't import one that you built from the same kit in your garage. (A few years back I seriously looked at buying one in Massachusetts, and found out about this roadblock when I approached my local DMV for advice on registering it in NS.)

I have enough on my to-do list that taking on a hobby car build is laughably out of the question. But we're dreamin' here, right?
    Land Rovers that've been converted to diesel can't be imported into the US from Canada either - your point?

You could finish that puppy up in an afternoon - I think it's only been sitting in the field for 5 or 6 years...

Here's another one in the auction. This one might need a couple of afternoons!

My point is that there are very, very few replica TD's in Canada that aren't based on a VW Bug, and I can't buy one in the USA and bring it home.

My point is that there are very, very few replica TD's in Canada that aren't based on a VW Bug, and I can't buy one in the USA and bring it home.
    I got that. My point was that I've brought diesel LR's into the US - hence the winky.

There is an age exemption. Anything older than 15 years does not fall under the regulation. So a simple VIN check should be all you need, no?
    https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl....htm#completed
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 07-26-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    Nosce te ipsum