Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doug Hylan Crab Skiff build in Florida

Default Re: Doug Hylan Crab Skiff build in Florida

And a couple of pics of those pretty boats.IMG_1242.jpgIMG_1243.jpgIMG_1244.jpg

Once again, haven't posted for awhile. Did manage to get some interior work done. Breasthook, a few knees, centerboard and trunk (not installed). Struggled a bit installing the long risers, so I made up some clamps this weekend that look like they are going to work. That's it for now.IMG_1201 (1).jpgIMG_1207 (1).jpgIMG_1209 (1).jpgIMG_1203 (1).jpgIMG_1212 (1).jpg

If I came walking out of my house and saw this in a neighbor's yard I would have to think I had died and gone to heaven.
    Re-naming straits as necessary.

Enjoyed the PC - 18 build and now the crab skiff. What is the next Doug Hylan boat you will be building? I would like to put a vote in for the Marsh Hen.

Cheers
    Dennis

Hello to everyone. Got a bit more done on the Crab Skiff, the having to go to work thing sure does slow you up from doing the important things in life. Oh well. Centerboard and trunk is finally finished. Finally tamed those long risers with the help of some homemade clamps. Got the main thwart installed along with all the cross members for the mast partner, fore and sternsheets. I think I have all the doug fir I'm going to need to start building the birdsmouth mast, that should be fun.IMG_1211 (2).jpgIMG_1215 (1).jpgIMG_1225 (1).jpgIMG_1226 (1).jpgIMG_1227.jpg

Very nice design and construction method.
    Doug Hylan, I will have to look it up.
    Your workmanship is excellent too!
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

That is looking really good.

Great looking boat so far. Simple classic little skiff. Love it.

Hello to All, It's been over a month since my last post, so I thought I should update. Well I built a mast. Don't know why it took 5 weeks, but it did. It was fun however. Had to scarf the last of my doug fir to get enough stock for a 17'4" mast. I then built a tapered mast using the birdsmouth system described by Geoff Kerr in the Off Center Harbor site- Building a Caledonia Yawl. Great 40 part series of videos as Geoff builds a beautiful yawl. Highly recommend the site. Anyway here are a few pics. of my build including one of me practicing on a hunk of old oar, my homebuilt spar rounder-over.IMG_1228 (1).jpgIMG_1229 (1).jpgIMG_1233.jpgIMG_1236 (1).jpg