Thread: Doug Hylan Crab Skiff build in Florida

Default Doug Hylan Crab Skiff build in Florida

Hi all,

Starting a new build, Doug's 15'3'' Crab Skiff. Plans are just that, plans, so lofting is required and off you go. Should be a challenge. I also deviated from the plans a little and will try and get the topsides out of glued plywood laps just to keep it interesting. I'm using Tom Hill's book "Ultralight Boatbuilding " as a guide. I'll try to post some pics using "post image.com" because photobucket is gone. Thanks.

Default Re: Doug Hylan Crab Skiff build in Florida

That is going to be lovely
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

suscribed
    good luck with your build

let the fun begin

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

The line off for lapstrake will be a bit of a challenge, as the topsides show considerably more span fwd than aft. Might be tricky to get it to look right. Otherwise it would work fine. Probably don't want a seat riser to cross a lap with no frames.

One of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by jim_cricket View Post
    The line off for lapstrake will be a bit of a challenge, as the topsides show considerably more span fwd than aft. Might be tricky to get it to look right. Otherwise it would work fine. Probably don't want a seat riser to cross a lap with no frames.
    I'd run one lap along the seat riser, climbing above it over the last 1/4 and leave it at that.

All good points, I hadn't thought about how the laps and the seat riser will get along. What I've done so far is divide each station by three and then used battens to check for fairness. The battens are then screwed to the molds, stem, and false transom. When all 3 battens are installed I should have a pretty good idea how it looks, if all looks good I crawl under the boat and trace the planks from the battens. I have one more batten to install this weekend, then I'll take some pic. Thanks all for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsurfer View Post
    All good points, I hadn't thought about how the laps and the seat riser will get along. What I've done so far is divide each station by three and then used battens to check for fairness. The battens are then screwed to the molds, stem, and false transom. When all 3 battens are installed I should have a pretty good idea how it looks, if all looks good I crawl under the boat and trace the planks from the battens. I have one more batten to install this weekend, then I'll take some pic. Thanks all for your help.
    You building upside down right? Then take photos and flip them 180, or stand with your back to her, and bend over to look at her through your legs. Those are the only ways to judge whether she looks right.

You could also use a solid wood sheer strake above the seat riser, with a single ply plank below. The sheer plank is thicker, rabbets over topside plank, and sits proud. Creates your shadow line and could be finished bright.

Jim, Thank you, that might solve a few problems.

Pretty excited to watch the build and hear sailing reports, I'm just a bit north of you on the Banana River side of the Indian River - Skiffs and Sharpies have captured my attention, particularly Hylan's Crab Skiff!

I wonder if you get a similar short chop from the sea breeze like we do up near the Cape.
    Jon
    Building - Ulua Outrigger

Thanks everyone for your help. Got the last of the battens on and the chine logs installed this weekend. Not sure if I like the widths of the lapstrake planks near the transom, kinda narrow, about 3 1/2" or so and about 6 1/2" at the stem. I was thinking maybe 2 planks instead of 3, leaving the sheerstrake where it is so it would have a sort of 1/3 x 2/3 look. Please take a look at the pics and tell me what you think. I tried the bend over and look between the legs thing, but I think someone might have pulling one of my legs.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsurfer View Post
    I tried the bend over and look between the legs thing, but I think someone might have pulling one of my legs.
    In the absence of digital cameras that is all you have got. Did it give you a better feel for the look of her than standing up?

I agree, the garboard does look narrow at the stern.
    I'd go with Jim's suggestion.

After moving battens around and thinking about it, I decided to go with how it was drawn-one plank. Mounted the transom this past weekend and wrapped some 1/4" underlayment from stem to stern and traced it at the chine and sheer batten. I'll try and scarph the 1/2" good stuff this weekend for the topsides.

I'm so glad you're doing this. I've always thought the crab skiff is a nice design. Eagerly awaiting more :-)

Hi All, Just a quick update. Got the 3/8" meranti scarfed earlier this week and I tried something different in that I cleaned up the scarfs with epoxy and micro balloons of course but faired them on the horses rather than after they were installed. I was a bit worried that they wouldn't lie fair, but they did. Probably wouldn't work as well if there was a lot of bend at the scarf joint. Anyway much easier to fair them standing up and working at a comfortable height.