Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Another stupid battery question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    9,506

    Default Another stupid battery question

    I now have two 12 volt deep cycle batteries, each rated at 100 amp hours, hooked up in series to 24 volts.
    From what I've read, I'd still have 100 amp hours. Is this correct? A google search says yes, but I'd rather get confirmation here.
    Thanks for any answers.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    20,747

    Default Re: Another stupid battery question

    Yes
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    4,726

    Default Re: Another stupid battery question

    Yes indeed.
    Will

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    9,506

    Default Re: Another stupid battery question

    Looks like the yes's have it! Thanks.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    13,460

    Default Re: Another stupid battery question

    ... but at 24 volts your amperage draw is half what it would be at 12 volts, so you effectively double your capacity.

    Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Graceville, Florida
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Another stupid battery question

    Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    ... but at 24 volts your amperage draw is half what it would be at 12 volts, so you effectively double your capacity.

    Kevin
    {nitpicking} Actually, that depends entirely on what kind of load he has. A resistive load will draw double the current at 24 Volts instead of 12 Volts, running the batteries down twice as fast. Reactive loads will draw more current at 24 Volts than at 12 Volts, but less than double. Only PWM input power converters will draw less current at 24 volts than at 12 Volts. {\nitpicking}

    regards,
    Joe
    These days, everything I do is just "puttering around"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    9,506

    Default Re: Another stupid battery question

    Quote Originally Posted by slowpoke View Post
    {nitpicking} Actually, that depends entirely on what kind of load he has. A resistive load will draw double the current at 24 Volts instead of 12 Volts, running the batteries down twice as fast. Reactive loads will draw more current at 24 Volts than at 12 Volts, but less than double. Only PWM input power converters will draw less current at 24 volts than at 12 Volts. {\nitpicking}

    regards,
    Joe
    Resistive load... reactive load... all new terms to me. So which is my 24 volt trolling motor?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Graceville, Florida
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: Another stupid battery question

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Resistive load... reactive load... all new terms to me. So which is my 24 volt trolling motor?
    The motor is mostly an Inductive Reactance load, with a little resistance thrown in. However, it is designed to operate on 24 Volts and while it will draw less current on 12 Volts, the decrease in thrust will be much greater than the decrease in current.

    regards,
    Joe
    Last edited by slowpoke; 07-26-2017 at 07:18 PM.
    These days, everything I do is just "puttering around"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •