Thread: Thin plank knot hole patching

Default Thin plank knot hole patching

Holes too large for epoxy putty is what I'm talking about here.

As NJ white cedar is more knotty then northern I'm going to be filling quite a few knot holes.

The router inlay collar set should come in really handy on this type of "patch"

BUT

This is usually done with a router but cedar is so soft I think a sharp knife will cut the patch if I just make or get the templates?

Just wondering what Ya'll have done.

Pic just for the attention
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Default Re: Thin plank knot hole patching

How thin is the planking for your Ducker and how big are the knots?

This is what I have done, tapered hole, tapered plug. I think it is 1/2" planking.

Ned! I like that approach! 5/16" thickness the new stock has some knots 1" or so.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Sounds like a dutchman with 1:6 scarfs on all four sides.
    Or if you want to router rather than chisel, a dutchman with a half thickness flange.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I was thinking only about 3/8", ......... What I did should certainly work on the smaller ones. it would probably work on the larger ones too, but most people would probably want a different approach.
    Nothing wrong with plugged black knots. The 33ft sea skiff I just finished up must have more than a dozen plugged knots in her. I had to make up three plugs quickly just last week as I was painting her bottom and found them missing.

I set a piece of hacksaw blade (straight side out) in the wooden 'ream' as the cutting edge.

I did a quick look at the new planking which is not been planed to thickness yet.
    I was wrong most of the knots are smaller

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    I was thinking only about 3/8", ......... What I did should certainly work on the smaller ones. it would probably work on the larger ones too, but most people would probably want a different approach.
    Nothing wrong with plugged black knots. The 33ft sea skiff I just finished up must have more than a dozen plugged knots in her. I had to make up three plugs quickly just last week as I was painting her bottom and found them missing.

I set a piece of hacksaw blade (straight side out) in the wooden 'ream' as the cutting edge.
    I love your reamer. Very cool.

Peace,
    Robert

Oh,..... and another common type of plug to put in a cleaned out knot was simply a cork. There are corks in two of my boats (trimmed off flush of course). One boat is 60 and the other about 80, so they do last.
    Last edited by nedL; 07-24-2017 at 07:06 PM.

I was thinking on this a bit more. Make a kreg like jig for a hole saw and make a "dowel" out of cross grain instead of long grain, set, glue, slice off, should leave an oval plug!

The old school way is to cut a diamond shaped dutchman, tapered on all sides so it gets tighter as it goes in. Scribe with a knife around it (on the small end) and chisel it out to 3/4 thickness or so. Glue in.

If you up the angle to be more like a scarf you could go all the way through the plank and eliminate the knot entirely.

For knots up to 1/2" I do the plug trick shown above. If you do an edge grain bung, so much the better.

The boards grain usually flows cleanly around the knothole.
    I'd try to preserve as much of that flow as I could by reaming or filing out to clean wood and filling with epoxy putty of microspheres and sawdust to tint.

Bungs...
    (You can get bung cutters up to 1-1/2")

^^this
    For holes up to 35mm(very close to 1 3/8"), I drill them out with a Euro hinge bit and then plug them with a 1 3/8" O.S. bung.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Thank you everyone for the input.. as guessed there are as many ways to do the task!

Part of the process is to get rid of the end grain.
    I only use a "dowel" if it is not much larger than a toothpick. Stacking up bungs with epoxy always seems a better solution. We used to use Weldwood and I can walk out and look at plenty of those that are over 30 years old!

I don't like end grain plugs for obvious reasons. The way I've done this is to turn (cross grain) a piece of the same wood if possible, to the diameter of a suitable forstner bit or even a step drill (minus a bit for clearance). Glue up several thicknesses (usually a lot of them) of the same wood for turning stock if other wood blocks are not available. Then bandsaw discs of the board thickness plus a bit more for sanding smooth. Set the plugs in grain alignment with epoxy or whatever glue you prefer. A large number of accurate plugs can be made up very quickly this way.
    Last edited by Tom Lathrop; 07-25-2017 at 03:33 PM.
    Tom L

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Bungs...
    (You can get bung cutters up to 1-1/2")
    https://woodworker.com/3-8-self-ejec...SABEgLLzfD_BwE
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch