Thread: Mounting bronze transom steps, stagger offset or in line?

Default Mounting bronze transom steps, stagger offset or in line?

Going to put these back on after years of being off.
    But I dont recall if they were originally straight or staggered.
    What is usually done?
    I can imagine a half step sideways offset might make sense stepping up the transom.

So from swim platform, step up right foot to the first bronze step, then left foot to the next broze step offset a little to the left.

These are curved to match the curve of the wood. Were on the transom, but years ago I replaced the wood.
    Last edited by sdowney717; 07-24-2017 at 08:16 AM.

Default Re: Mounting bronze transom steps, stagger offset or in line?

Stagger them.
    Those slots in the " steps" are handholds, btw. Imagine how you would climb out and position them width wise and height wise accordingly.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Stagger them.
    Those slots in the " steps" are handholds, btw. Imagine how you would climb out and position them width wise and height wise accordingly.

Kevin
    Height wise should be evenly spaced, as you show two of them divide the distance from the top of the transom toe rail to the top of the swim platform into three. That way there are no surprises to trip you up.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Height wise should be evenly spaced, as you show two of them divide the distance from the top of the transom toe rail to the top of the swim platform into three. That way there are no surprises to trip you up.
    As Breakaway said, stagger sideways?

I seem to recall that is how they were.
    I am wondering how much staggering apart.
    They measure 10.75 inch wide, 4.5 inch depth.

I looked online for pictures of them mounted more than one, but saw nothing.

Last time out, my 3 and 4 yr old grandkids were jumping in the water and climbing up the swim ladder, but we had to help them up the transom, so it is a good time to put these back on.

You want to be able to reach up from the water and place right hand on the high one and left foot on the low one. Grab, stand up and hopefully there is a cleat/ rail/ fitting/ purchase on--or under- the transom, you can then grab with your left hand as you stand to get you in the boat.

Imagine yourself needing to climb out of the water unassisted, as if no one else is aboard, and position then accordingly.

K
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    As Breakaway said, stagger sideways?

I seem to recall that is how they were.
    I am wondering how much staggering apart.
    They measure 10.75 inch wide, 4.5 inch depth.

I looked online for pictures of them mounted more than one, but saw nothing.

Last time out, my 3 and 4 yr old grandkids were jumping in the water and climbing up the swim ladder, but we had to help them up the transom, so it is a good time to put these back on.
    Your average ladder rung is about 12 to 16 inch, so stagger them 4 to 6 inches.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Your average ladder rung is about 12 to 16 inch, so stagger them 4 to 6 inches.
    Sounds good for 6 inches staggering. will test this and see how it looks.

A silpmate at my old marina with an old CrisCraft mid 60's houseboat put 4 of these inline, with no swim platform and it think it is terrible looking arrangement he has with them all lined up straight.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    You want to be able to reach up from the water and place right hand on the high one and left foot on the low one. Grab, stand up and hopefully there is a cleat/ rail/ fitting/ purchase on--or under- the transom, you can then grab with your left hand as you stand to get you in the boat.

Imagine yourself needing to climb out of the water unassisted, as if no one else is aboard, and position then accordingly.

K
    I have a swim platform with a ladder that goes into the water, so just need to move from that to the transom top.

You still want to stagger them. Width of a ladder.

Kevin
    Edited: now that I see your application--have you considered a set of removable steps, such as these?

Kevin

I would make them wider apart than the width of a ladder. Line up the inner edges of the steps instead. Looks good and provides a stable platform for climbing. Here is a good example of a typical installation.

- Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    I would make them wider apart than the width of a ladder. Line up the inner edges of the steps instead. Looks good and provides a stable platform for climbing. Here is a good example of a typical installation.

Thanks for that photo, that looks good.
    I also plan on putting them on the starboard side

Turned out I staggered them but not that wide, I stepped up on the lower step and picked up left foot and saw where it naturally wanted to go.
    So they overlap about 4 inches. Likely better for the kids to climb up if steps are not that wide apart.

Here they are. And my transom is in need of refinishing this year.
    Planning to use that Starbrite natural teak oil sealer, same as I put on the doors. I think I will get a gallon can.

Those brackets on the swim platform hold a nice ladder. One arm swivels down and locks into the transom in the water, top end curves up and down then slides in the brackets. It has 3 wood steps and is all SS.
    It's disadvantage, if you fall overboard and no ladder in place, you can't just pull a ladder into the water.

Last edited by sdowney717; 07-26-2017 at 07:53 AM.