Thread: silicon bronze wood screws

Default silicon bronze wood screws

I've just received these purchased silicon bronze wood screws from an Australian supplier.
    The supplier wanted to initially sell me Chinese manufactured screws but I insisted on screws imported form either UK or USA. Chinese manufactured screws have doubtful metals in their composition.
    Anyhow, these screws arrived sans identifying manufacture and I note with a keen eye a few inconsistencies such as differing thickness.
    I have paid a whopping $1.89 for each screw so I want to know 100% if Im getting what I paid for.
    Ive left a message with the local supplier to call me to discuss my concerns. I would hate to think Im getting Chinese manufactured fastening which normally retail for a third of the cost!

does anyone recognise the packaging and can identify the source of the screws?

[img]

Default Re: silicon bronze wood screws

Can't say anything specific about them, but I just bought a bag of bronze wood screws that looks exactly like that from Fisheries Supply here in Seattle, WA, USA. Might be worth contacting them to find out where they get their screws from?

https://www.fisheriessupply.com
    - Chris

https://fvpetrel.wordpress.com

Life is short. Go boating now!

Looks like the same packaging I get from Tacoma Screw here in Seattle, which I generally regard as legit (though $$$) and of reasonable quality. The threading looks ok in your picture, as if cut and not rolled. I do share your suspicion of Chinese product. Don't recall delving into that with tac screw and don't recall having problems with the product.

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Can't say anything specific about them, but I just bought a bag of bronze wood screws that looks exactly like that from Fisheries Supply here in Seattle, WA, USA. Might be worth contacting them to find out where they get their screws from?

https://www.fisheriessupply.com
    The part number 2098 matches the same Fasco screw on the Fisheries Supply web site. Fasco has the same P/N on their site.
    http://fascofastener.com/default.asp...98&catlist=287
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

thanks for the information. very much appreciated.
    it wasn't so much the thread I was concerned about, it was more the shaft thickness. to the naked (yet keen) eye, i spied some in the packet that 'look' to be somewhat thinner shaft. i havent taken them out of the bag because I was waiting t find out more about the product and the possibility of returning the screws.

addit:
    I've just looked up the product on the fisheries supply website. the UPC code matches exactly the number on the packet.

so im satisfied i will be able to use the screws now (that is of course if Fasco Fasteners make their own silicon bronze screws and don't import from elsewhere???!!!).
    Last edited by Bernadette; 07-24-2017 at 12:20 AM.

Check with Fisheries. An increasing number of such fasteners are imported from all over. The suppliers just don't advertise the country of origin. Best to inquire.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette View Post
    thanks for the information. very much appreciated.
    it wasn't so much the thread I was concerned about, it was more the shaft thickness. to the naked (yet keen) eye, i spied some in the packet that 'look' to be somewhat thinner shaft. i havent taken them out of the bag because I was waiting t find out more about the product and the possibility of returning the screws.

addit:
    I've just looked up the product on the fisheries supply website. the UPC code matches exactly the number on the packet.

so im satisfied i will be able to use the screws now (that is of course if Fasco Fasteners make their own silicon bronze screws and don't import from elsewhere???!!!).
    Can you shake the thinnest and thickest screws to the edge of the bag and put a calliper on to compare them? Will not be an absolute measure of thickness, but you are only concerned to see if there is any variation.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I've just received these purchased silicon bronze wood screws from an Australian supplier.
    The supplier wanted to initially sell me Chinese manufactured screws but I insisted on screws imported form either UK or USA. Chinese manufactured screws have doubtful metals in their composition.
    Anyhow, these screws arrived sans identifying manufacture and I note with a keen eye a few inconsistencies such as differing thickness.
    I have paid a whopping $1.89 for each screw so I want to know 100% if Im getting what I paid for.
    Ive left a message with the local supplier to call me to discuss my concerns. I would hate to think Im getting Chinese manufactured fastening which normally retail for a third of the cost!

does anyone recognise the packaging and can identify the source of the screws?

[img]
    Did you buy from these people Bern? http://www.classicfasteners.com.au/12-gauge-3/
    Grateful Dead

I'm pretty sure Fasco is just a distributor.

I have had variable results with the quality of their products. One episode I was able to track back through a contact at West Marine, (The fasteners were being used on a managers boat) but there was no concern on my part about where they were made. If it doesn't say "made in USA" on the label the assumption is they're not.

Order a few of the Chinese made screws, in various sizes, from the same supplier. Then compare them to what you already have. Look close using a hand lens. It's surprising what a 10x magnification will reveal.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Did you buy from these people Bern? http://www.classicfasteners.com.au/12-gauge-3/
    hi peter, i got the screws through a outlet in sydney. Classic Boat supplies. i usually deal with Boatcraft in Brisbane but they didnt have any immediate stock available as I had already previously purchased their last 171 screws at $1.58 each! they were 'expecting' an order from Davey & Co (i think) but there was some doubt as to when they could supply me so i looked elsewhere. the shop in sydndey was dead set certain they wanted to sell me chinese screws but i had to 'refuse' to buy them! it was hard work! i also had to pay up front for the screws i just purchased. ridiculous i know. i just have the feeling these screws aren't what I've paid for….even though they are apparently imported from the states. i cant locate their manufacture and i always think its pretty slack of a manufacturer NOT to put their logo/brand on the packaging.
    those SC fasteners and others on ebay are good but all wrong size. i can recall dad's commercial yard being chock-a-block full of SC fasteners of all sizes etc…he had a lot of gear back in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Order a few of the Chinese made screws, in various sizes, from the same supplier. Then compare them to what you already have. Look close using a hand lens. It's surprising what a 10x magnification will reveal.

Jeff
    thanks jeff i will do that. I've got a magnifying glass at the boat shed. with just the naked eye i can pick a few variations.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post

I have had variable results with the quality of their products. One episode I was able to track back through a contact at West Marine, (The fasteners were being used on a managers boat) but there was no concern on my part about where they were made. If it doesn't say "made in USA" on the label the assumption is they're not.
    yes thats what I'm dreading.

I've bought bronze bolts from here Bern, but no screws. They may be worth talking to. https://www.bronzeandbrassfasteners....teners-company
    Grateful Dead

I just put 300 of those exact screws in my boat- I hope they are good ones! (from Fisheries, like the other Seattle guys.)

yes thats what I'm dreading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post

If you click their home page, they say that they are a manufacturer and direct importer, but don't say where they import from. If you contact them using the online form they might be willing to tell you the country(s) of origin for the part number and size you purchased. http://fascofastener.com/Default.aspx?Page=Contact%20Us Responsible fastener companies keep good records. For aerospace applications, I used to get certifications all the way back to the mill that made the raw material. Your bag of screws has passed through too many hands for that, but they should be able to say where their manufacturers are for that part number.

If the variation in diameter is visible through the bag, it is surely measurable through the bag, just measure the bag too and subtract. If the diameter is that far off, it is possible that you are looking at both rolled and cut threads, which is better than poor quality control. The only spec I found was ASME B18.6.11997. the nominal sizes and tolerances are here in table 2, page 3: http://www.aspenfasteners.com/v/vspf...spec_sheet.pdf

FWIW In my attempt to find a standard for wood screws, I found a source of discontinued silicon bronze drywall style #8-15 x 1-1/2" Freason Drive Flat Head Wood Screw, Silicon Bronze for 19.65 each until they run out. https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0178788
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

The manufacturing process may give it away, but our local chandler who supplies the classic scene uses Jamestown Distributors. I have purchased these bronze screws and been very impressed. A cut screw in larger sizes is a work of art!

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...t+Head+Slotted

• Q:
      Are these screws made in the USA?
      Asked on 4/1/2014 by David Hewey

Know the answer? Answer this question
      1 answer
      • A:
        If the threads are cut, the come from italy. If the are rolled, the are probably american. You can tell Italian as thread edges are very sharp. Ones we bought from Jamestown were from Italy.Answered on 4/2/2014 by LIN PARDEY from undisclosed

whatever rocks your boat

I have purchased a lot of fasteners from Jamestown and have always recieved first quality. It may be impractical to ship them to you however.
    ( They do show the 16x2 sil brz screws)
    https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...t+Head+Slotted

(What you have shown doesn't look like high quality, or even what I am used to seeing in Silicon Bronze which is very much a copper color)

I tend to agree, they look too yellow and poorly made. Seriously, a good bronze screw is a pleasure to handle and look at.
    whatever rocks your boat

Bernadette, have been thinking about the bronze screw thing. Was wondering if a process could be developed to test a sample of screws in a batch. Maybe a few days in some strongish acid or alkali, see what happens, perhaps compare to known quality screws. There probably are specific acids for particular metals. Maybe drive a couple into some Aussie hardwood with a too small pilot hole till they break, inch pound torque wrench would help to know the breaking torque.

You're going to lose a few screws but I dislike strongly unknowns. What application/timbers are you using these screws on? Below waterline?

This issue of screw quality can only get worse, even the good manufacturers are probably getting their stock from the sources that concern us.

Some thoughts anyway
    the invisible man........