Thread: Mast partner wedges.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Mast partner wedges.

Over time, I've seen many failures of conventional mast wedge /partner installations.The traditional sewn canvas style is handy for masts that are removed from a vessel every year ,but are poor for masts left in a vessel for a long period of time. Like mine at 35 years fer instance.They tend to leak both sea water and rainwater. The rain water rots the spar ,the step, the floors and the keel. The canvas is a soft entry point for termites. The canvas can chafe easily on any dingy /oars/liferaft....any cruising gear that may be frapped on deck. More often than not you will find mildew or mold under the canvas.I recently tuned up a buddys wedges. We talked a bit about it, ...how often do you see the spars coming out etc. He had been aboard my boat ,and I soon convinced him to let me help him with his troublesome system. His boat had an even more pressing problem in addition to most of the above, his wedges would come loose, they worked themselves up in a Caribbean seaway. Caribean seas are big, and can be violent, big heavy spars try to flail around. It soon becomes a dangerous situation, the spar can begin beavering itself on any hard edge, rigging goes loose,frightening sounds of banging and shreiking occour. This happened on a 65 ' schooner I helped sail from Antigua to Lunenberg a few years ago. It was no joke banging the wedges back down at sea.Anyway , what I do is to run a filet of epoxy around the top of the wedges right onto the mast. I do not glue the face of the wedges ( that wud B dumm).I run a second filet of epoxy at where the wedges meet the deck. Then I shape the outside edge of the wedges round. Finally I sheath the mess with dynel. The filets are made with WEST407 , which is a weak filler,easily chipped away later , opposed to using 403 or a structural filler. So , Here is a little photo documentary , maybe it can help someone someday.

Default Re: Mast partner wedges.

This is what we started with , after the canvas/vinal boot has been cut away. Tubes of sika/silicone/4200...ugh

The plywood ring will be demolished as it will have no function. All the wedges needed some intense thurough grinding to remove all the goop, especially the silicone caulk.

And the wedges got their own epoxy tune up. Some were split or chipped, some were a bit hollowed out from wear .

The spars had old duct tape goo on them, and I disced off the deck as well

I have some weak internet now, so the one at a time posting....

Everything epoxy precoated, hardened and re sanded . Ready to hammer them back in....dry.

This is a schooner, and the photos are switching between the main and fore, but you get the idea

Hammererd back in. Fer god sake dont beat directly on them. utilize some hardwood chunks.

Here we see the 407 filets and the outside edge radiused off.
    Of course there is a lotta sanding , a lotta dust.Every step is more sanding.

The first layer of dynel. Its cut into triangle sort of shapes. Using dynel like this is a treat, Easy to handle, no itching.

The 205 hardener im using has turned red due to being old , so it looks all red, but it works jusfine.
    Next day, sand the dynel and do it again

The seams are just butted, but staggerred
    Sanding dynel is a bit different than fg, as the fabric tends to fray , and one always needs a final filler coat, but eventually you get here....

A bit more sanding for effect...

An epoxy barrier coat of Interlux 2000 , and there you go, ready for ocean bashing.
    Owner can fine sand this and finish coat it later

Pretty cool. Your mast has been in for 35 years? Those wedges seem massive. Mine are just 3/8” thick or so. One year I couldn’t even find them on launching day so I just used some cedar shingles. Found them the next day, of course. Still just left the shingles in that season.

AS SEEN ON TV!
    I'm not kidding. This stuff works.

This stuff peals off when you are done.There are kids that spray this on the factory finish before doing bizarre paint job on their cars.
    That way they can peel it off when they want to trade it in.
    I had a dry bunk this year for the first time in 20.
    SHC

Or Spartite instead of Flexseal or mast wedge methods. In either case the method for pouring the flexible liquid to shape so that the spar can be removed is shown in Spartite videos and instructions. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/spart...02_065_007_501
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."