Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a William Atkin Perigee

Default Building a William Atkin Perigee

Hello everyone. I've been at my William Atkin's Perigee build for a few years. I've hunted around numerous times trying to find material on other people's builds to this design but always turn up diddly squat. I can't believe I am the only person building to this design so wanted to ask if there are others building or if anyone knows of existing Perigees?

Default Re: Building a William Atkin Perigee

Welcome to the Forum! Pictures, please! We'd love to see it.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

There was at least one built. Photos here -- http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Sail/Perigee.html

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

A 17 foot boat with 1700 pounds of lead,yowza!

Not familiar with the design, but it looks like you've chosen to build a very pretty and handy packet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Welcome to the Forum! Pictures, please! We'd love to see it.
    Thanks for the welcome. Actually there are some pictures available here http://geoffboat.weebly.com/ Only just started to put my site together so the content is limited, but I'll keep adding material.

To avoid disappointing those who build 'real' boats, I should warn everyone up front that my version of the perigee is epoxy strip planked with red cedar and heavily sheathed with double bias glass inside and out. Not a very traditional approach, but I've been careful to keep the weights in line with William's original plan.

She looks terrific!

Thanks for the compliment Wizbang and copying pics onto WBF. I was planning to do that some time, but I keep getting distracted with working on the boat... for instance just now spent a couple of hours reinforcing the fresh water tank (being built using the method no longer endorsed by the gudgeon bros).

As you noted above there are 1700 pounds of lead. This of course has one wondering what that is as a percentage of the total displacement. No displacement figure was provided in the plans but I calculated from the lines drawings and found she displaces just shy of 1900 kg or 4189 pounds. Sounds like a lot, but now she's at the stage where I am daily climbing around inside her, I reckon that calculation is probably about right. The ballast keel is 1400 pounds. The other 300 pounds is internal for trimming purposes... but it need not be lead. Cans of baked beans and cases of beer should be adequate.

David, I get the feeling that the one previously built may have been the only one built. I was hoping this thread might have brought some closet Perigee owners out of the woodwork (so to speak... he he I'm so funny). Still, I guess it might take time before this gets noticed so I'll leave this thread open for a while.

In the meantime, I added another page to my web site showing a series of pics about pouring the Perigee's ballast keel. I used an old gas cylinder as a melting pot (made sure it was very empty before cutting).

Nice choice of design. I'd look it up on the Atkin site, but then my morning would disappear!

I'll be following along for sure.

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    Nice choice of design. I'd look it up on the Atkin site, but then my morning would disappear!

I'll be following along for sure.

Mike
    I hear you. I looked it up on the Atkin site and since then whole years have disappeared...

Finally got around to updating my web site with some more Perigee pics. Here are two of them just to prove I'm still working on this boat:

Also... just finished building the integral water tanks today so I'll make time to take some snaps and post in due course.

awesome, I love to see a nice Atkin plan come to life. I'm especially interested to follow along with your more modern interpretation of materials choice.

and that comment about loosing days to the Atkin online catalogue ...ain't that the truth!! been there a few times myself...

For those who may be interested, I've just been doing some updates on my web site detailing my Perigee build and other stuff. In particular I've added a few details of the deck going on and some interior features.

In the meantime, I'll paste in a couple of pics here to give an idea.

The two 60 litre water tanks being built.

An attempt to build a Matt Layden style vent box in the stern area shown here in profile before the sides have been installed so that you can see how it works. For those not familiar with Matt Layden's 'Paradox' design, the vent box is a self draining vent sort of like an interior built dorade vent. In Matt's Paradox the the vent box is in fact far more than just a ventilation system... but in my version adapted to my Perigee build the vent box is nothing but a vent box.

And... one more... the decks taking shape:

What a pleasure it is to see one of Bill Atkin's boats coming to life! Atkin boats have always warmed my heart by their no nonsense ability to catch the eye of the sailor, always making one happy to see her, when rowing out to the mooring and sad to leave her when rowing home. On the rare chance that you may not have seen his great book that coveys the same warmth of balance and sweet lines do take the time to seek out, "Of Yachts and Men". It is a great read!
    Jay

Actually I wasn't aware of the book, but will definitely seek it out... after having spent the better part of my life reading every nautically related book I can lay my hands on my appetite for such literature has not diminished at all. Thanks for the tip.

Thats a proper wee ship. What kind of weight cloth did you use for the sheathing?.

Good question, I don't recall the exact details off the top of my head, but something in the order of two layers of 450 gsm double bias outside and inside is one layer of something heavier... I think it was close to 700 gsm. Since the original design was done before the days of epoxy resin and fancy glass cloth I've been working out some of the engineering based on Dave Gerr's 'Elements of Boat Strength'... the cloth weights I chose may be a shade heavier than what he says... but then Perigee is a pretty hefty girl. In case you're wondering the sheathing inside and out including resin comes to a grand total of around 45-50 kg.

I've just been updating my web site showing the build of my Perigee. The web site is located here https://geoffboat.weebly.com/ for anyone wanting more detail, but in the meantime here are a few pics:

The cabin sides roughed out

A view from the main cabin looking aft

Getting all left wing and crazy with the rudder attachment

A spectator watching from just outside my workshop doobr />

The Perigee build continues. You can see in this picture the exterior painting is complete. The top coat is an automotive acrylic polyurethane rolled and tipped. The results are a satisfactory glossy surface with slight roughness in places if examined very closely. If a mirror finish were desired, this type of paint can be cut and polished, though I am quite happy with the result as is.

cabin_glazing_2.jpg

The glazing is 6mm polycarbonate (grey tint) applied with stainless fasteners and sikaflex 295 UV.

cabin_glazing_1.jpg

And, a whee bit of work going on inside the cabin. Here we see some painting done with a single pack alkyd paint. Lots of coats, but the result is good. Painting the interior with such old fashioned paint has the very big advantage of not giving off too many fumes, so I have been able to work on this without any ill effect and with no ventilation other than having all the hatches open.

cabin_paint.jpg

These pics look very small in this post while editing... I wonder if they will be bigger when it is actually posted. No idea how to make them bigger.

Beautiful workmanship!
    I'm not seeing a cockpit. Do you steer from inside the hatch? Was that in the original design or did you alter it for more cabin space?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

You have done a cracking job of getting that cabin shape sorted, sometimes a tough job to get right, certainly looks good from those angles. Always good to see personal experience with previous boats and the good bits following on in another boat.

Yes the original design has a cockpit, but I'm thrilled with the inside steering in my paradox and so trying to do something similar with the perigee. There will be a tiller as per original design, but with lines lead from this through tubes at the back of the cabin. If you look carefully at the first of the three pics just posted the tubes are visible. As for sail handling, I am working on all lines running to the main hatch for a 'jester' like set up (except perigee has a gaff rig). In case my no cockpit approach does not work out well I have organised the interior structure such that the back of the cabin and part of the aft deck can be easily sawn out to make way for a cockpit as shown in the original design. Would probably be a couple of months work for me to convert, or less for a really speedie builder... but no big deal to do. As for the shape of the cabin, I have followed the plan with the exception of radiused edges and big dead lights. I don't like the big dead lights much, but this is needed to keep watch from below. I looked at moitessier's Joshua when deciding how best to shape dead lights.

I decked over the "cockpit well" on my Seabird Yawl(long ago) , built no well on my next ocean boat (a 21'er), and have no well on my 34'er now. It is much safer for deep water and worked out . (I resisted saying "well"...see that?)
    good move,imo.

Thanks Bruce, it is encouraging to hear of your successful experience.

Here's an old photo of my 21'er (modified Antigua Sloop). We just sat on deck, coaming came right out to the hull. Most of the time , on the ocean, yer in yer bunk.

Oh cool, you read my mind, I was just thinking it would be great to see a pic. Nice rig.

Moving day finally arrived. Following are a few pictures showing her ready and waiting for the truck to arrive.

movingday1.jpg
    movingday2.jpg
    movingday3.jpg

Wow! Terrific!

And some more loading to a truck from Northam.

movingday4.jpg
    movingday6.jpg

I followed the truck in my car admiring her backside for 150 heart in mouth clicks down the track to The Cruising Yacht Club of WA where she was unloaded unscathed except for a few bug splatters.
    movingday7.jpg

And here is my mate Roselt, who kindly tidied up my hard stand bay, opened the gate for us on arrival, and who guided the truck driver as to the best approach and placement of my boat.

movingday8.jpg

Soooooooooooooooooo glad to have my boat out of my shed since I am in a high risk area for bush fire and we are getting well into the risky season.

Well, she looks terrific! Great job and great to see her by the sea!

Rick

Thanks Rick

That’s a lot of boat in 17 feet. Look great.
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.