Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust extraction upgrade success - a vast improvement

Default Re: Dust extraction upgrade success - a vast improvement

i just open the front doors of the shed and the SE opening windows to create a venturi effect. my nose filters the rest...

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Some species of dust are very hard on the schnoz, and the lungs. Some are even carcinogenic. But air filters are only a tiny little swipe at the very last of the fines - useful only if your other dust collection is up to snuff. Otherwise, quickly overwhelmed and made useless.
    I sanded a fair amount of Australian rosewood at one stage, now that really is a reason to either have perfect dust extraction and filtration or something like that Air Hat of mine.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I could never rely on personal protection equipment. not only do i hate wearing stuff like that but I'm back and forth to the saw etc. and would only ever take the time to put on all that gear if I was doing a big run, which isn't very often. I just have, actually two, exhaust fans just above the dust extractor so when the saw or other machinery goes on, the extractor and exhaust fans go on too and the big and little dust is whisked away from me. Of course I still get some dust but really not a lot. The shed door is always open and the extraction takes dust the other way out.

Rick

I was producing clouds of very fine sander dust perhaps 24 hours a week while making boxes like this, the Air Hat was brilliant ! I'd finish the day with layers of dust on my shoulders and none in my nose at all. I was using a variety of different sanding machines, on some I could collect the dust, on others it was nearly impossible.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    I was producing clouds of very fine sander dust perhaps 24 hours a week while making boxes like this, the Air Hat was brilliant ! I'd finish the day with layers of dust on my shoulders and none in my nose at all. I was using a variety of different sanding machines, on some I could collect the dust, on others it was nearly impossible.

Horses for courses. Your situation is probably a bit atypical in the proportion of sanding that would be hard to capture at the source.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)