Thread: Seascape 18

Default Seascape 18

I saw one sail by on Wednesday. Fun, light and easy to tow.

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Default Re: Seascape 18

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Nice video, looks like heaps o'fun, thanks for posting. Any thoughts on how this would compare to an i550, a build which I am contemplating.

Ah, to be young and agile...
    Any boat with a heavy reef still needing three people on the rail to stop from flipping over is too much boat for me.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Yevsky View Post
    Nice video, looks like heaps o'fun, thanks for posting. Any thoughts on how this would compare to an i550, a build which I am contemplating.
    I have looked and looked and really liked the i550 too. The boats look to be quite similar in many respects. I ran a cold accounting and have estimated it will take about 7k in basic materials (nearly 10k with carbon mast and fine sails) to pull together. The rest is time. I would guess a 30 day build on one too. In the end about the same cost as a Seascape 18 if you include your labor at market rate.

here is a one mans build where he sunk lots of time and thought into it. Listen to the comments as your mileage may vary.

Not my thing, but pretty exciting. I'm sure some of the perception of speed is camera-work related, but that boat is no doubt quick. Two rudders, catamaran style, make a lot of sense. Interesting touch to see the young woman reading the paper rather than a phone or tablet.

The builders have found that a single rudder works as well as 2 . . . . . or 3.
    Last edited by Timber; 11-11-2017 at 06:10 PM.

Ahhh, trying to post a picture of an experiment with three rudders.... Melbourne, Australia.

There seem to be several similar sport boats being built along those general lines (poor pun, sorry) with some of them garage built.

It got me to thinking about twin centerboards. I'm thinking it eases weather helm when the boat heels over. Any truth to that?

33399_114731755241712_6507294_n.jpg
    Ah HA! This old dog has learned something..