Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small runabout barn-find

The boat has been stored on this tractor trailer just a week. But I dont know how it was stored before other than in a shed. It flex on the bottom a little bit when I rock it like it lays now, so I am thinking it might be an idea to stiffen it with more or new frames. Maybe I also make a new keel. But there might have been a slight curve as it was buildt too. Some people here believe it was...

Sent fra min GT-N7100 via Tapatalk

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: Small runabout barn-find

A hook like that can help a boat get up on plane easier, by forcing the bow down.
    But as the boat gets near 25/30 mph, she will try to nose dive ,( to port probably),and be difficult and dangerous to steer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    The boat has been stored on this tractor trailer just a week. But I dont know how it was stored before other than in a shed. It flex on the bottom a little bit when I rock it like it lays now, so I am thinking it might be an idea to stiffen it with more or new frames. Maybe I also make a new keel. But there might have been a slight curve as it was buildt too. Some people here believe it was...

I very much doubt that it was built with a hook.
    Block it level, with support under the transom and put some weights on top of the hump. It will gradually settle out. Then harden up the fastenings and replace any timbers that need it.
    Finally ensure that she is stored and trailed with adequate support under the transom, especially if you leave the motor on.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Is it posible to reinforce the bottom with legs on the benches/ twarts down to the frame under? I will build them complete new and do a proper job with some nice crooks.

Started to rain and I want to keep the boat dry until I start to restore it. Here it is in the shed together with another boat that need to be restored. They both are buildt in Rana Norway. If I succeed with the Runabout the other boat is next.
    I also got a power-tilt from the seller of the motor, but I am not shure if I can use it. It moves the motor mounting 10 cm aft. How much will it affect the handling?. Its a big motor for this boat I believe...

Last edited by Fredostli; 08-01-2017 at 02:57 AM.

Is it posible to reinforce the bottom with legs on the benches/ twarts down to the frame under? I will build them complete new and do a proper job with some nice crooks.

Sounds as though that might create hard spots. I believe that once the bottom is straight proper support will keep it so.

I travelled a whole day to look at a Mysing boat. It had been stored on a trailer with the outboard left on the transom. The issue was the trailer ended halfway along the keel and no support under the engine. The bottom had a very distinct bow in it. It might have been possible, as Nick suggests, to have straightened it out, but it would have been nice to have started with a boat in the correct shape.......especially for the price he was asking for it, and a clear reason i did not get any pictures of the underneath that i had asked for.......

I have allredy decided to replace the keel and the first strake aft. on both sides. the keel and the first strakes is pretty worn by the transom. There is a scarfing on the first strake, right under the forward bench, and the boards are pretty straight up to the scarf, making it easyer to replace. Replacing the keel will also make it easyer to get the shape back.

To cold to start painting my Argie 15, so its good to have this Runabout project. The easter holyday was also wery snowy here so instead of skiing I decided to started to work on the Runabout.

I ripped of the ugly plywood deck. i want to make a solid wood deck, with narrow planking and caulcing paste. I have some very dry pine/fir suited I want to use. It is a small deck, and i want to make it as thin and light as posible. Have not started replacing keel, but ripping of the deck was a bit inspiering :-) Photos follow via Tapatalk.

Photos

Sent fra min SM-N950F via Tapatalk

Another fun project Fred. Hope you have some hair left when its all over.

Good luck - Gary

It never ends Gary, and I will make a new windshield so dont worry about my hair But compared to one of my woodenboat friend, who also like football, I can manage a lot of projects in the time he watches footbal. I dont understand the concept of watching people doing sports on TV, its a handicap I have.

It also gives me more knowledge about clinker lapstrake, and a good preparation for my future lapstake build. Ordered nails and rivets today :-)

I shared this on a Norwegian woden boat Facebook group. Several people told me this is the original shape of the hull. They also had owned one themselves.

I was just thinking that, the hook could have been built in, we did that with Amesbury skiffs, about 3/4 inch along the last 2 ft of the bottom.

the hook helps keep the bow down at speed for a smoother ride... this was well before trim tabs were an option.

I have not measured exactly, but it looks like the hook is an even curve from stem to transom, hollowed 1- 1,5 inch. I have concluded ut must be from storage. The man who gave it to me, got the boat together with the house he bought several years ago, and it had alredy been stored there a long time. It was on an earthen floor which is a good thing for a boat like this, but the supports could have been moved around by frost, if they where proper from the start. We dont know, but the chances for it to be a storage damage is great.

If I use the power tilt i got, it will be no problem to get the bow down if needed.

Using the last weekend this year to start this project. This is a perfect project to have right now, as I am planning and drying materials for a lapstrake build. This gives me practise in this type of construction. How fast it goes depends on the weather as my shop is unheated, but its ok to work down to a few degrees below zero.

First job is to replace the hogged keel an two strakes aft. Thf last photo show the hog in the keel. Tomorrow I will loog in my stock for replacement parts. The keel seems to be fir or spruce, and the planking is spruce. To get acess I also removed the motor well. It was solid, but looked a bit "homemade"

You may need to get the hog out of the floors as well. I would suggest that the top face of the floor-timber assembly should be straight.

The floor timbers was bolted to the keel, and I am hoping the new keel will pull them straight. If not I need some advice on how to straighten them.

The floor timbers was bolted to the keel, and I am hoping the new keel will pull them straight. If not I need some advice on how to straighten them.

I would try to straighten them before bolting them to the keel. I would use a soaking with boiling water, hanging a weight under them and heating with a gas torch. Repeat the boiling soak and heat as nessesary.

Edited to add.
    It might be easier all round to take out the distorted floors. Rebuild the bottom, then steam the floors to fit the new bottom planking and reinstall them
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 12-30-2018 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Second thought.

Thanks peerie maa. l guess its time to build me a steamer, I know I will need it sometime anyway. maybe wrap the floors in plastic and steam them.

Looks like a lot of work Fred. Hang in there.

When will the sun break the horizon again in Bodo?

Gary

Gary, the sun aproach 3 weeks from now, but if the weather is clear, it paints the sky in some real beautiful colors from now on.

Started planing the keel. I have decided to use some old planes instead of powerplaner, and it keeps me warm in my unheated shop.

Good luck staying warm. We're about 0F today with some snow and wind.

Hope your project turns out just as you have dreamed.

Gary

There was a damage hole aft, and I decided to replace it with a short piece and a scarf joint. So first new plece close to finished. I would not do it like this below waterline thou.

I also did some scraping, and the planking looks good. I will replace three bottom planks aft. as they had damage at the transom.

There is three broken ribs, and I consider replacing them with laminated ribs, as I have poor access to grean oak for steambending.

Last edited by Fredostli; 01-06-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Hey Fred. Looks like you know what you're doing.

I have a bunch of air-dried black locust that I will hand-deliver for the price of a plane ticket to Bodo.

Good luck - Gary

Hm... let me check Locust prices here first 😂

Let me know if you strike out in Bodo. Maybe we can work out something.

My father in law had a broken rebate planer, but my son hwo is a mechanical apprentice, managed to weld it. welding cast iron requires special methods. Looking forward to shape the keel with it. Its missing the nose, but I believe it will work ok without it...

Yours is not the first plane to be welded, donít fret to much. (I have two)
    It looks like it will continue to do its job just fine,

Started on the keel rebate. First a cut with the circular saw, then I was ready to test the rebate- planer. The planer works good. btw. My son says the job cost him a lot of money, because he was in a hurry to get home and show me the result. He got a speed ticket...😂 Well, I am not paying that !!! Most of the keel is straight, with a little angle on the rebate. The most challenging part will be towards the bow. I am keeping the strakes there, so I need to work slowly, and shape it until it fits between the keel strakes.

Started on the keel rebate. First a cut with the circular saw, then I was ready to test the rebate- planer. The planer works good. btw. My son says the job cost him a lot of money, because he was in a hurry to get home and show me the result. He got a speed ticket... Well, I am not paying that !!! Most of the keel is straight, with a little angle on the rebate. The most challenging part will be towards the bow. I am keeping the strakes there, so I need to work slowly, and shape it until it fits between the keel strakes.

I would look at making a front tote for that, something like this

Use the tapped hole from the cap iron screw to take a machine screw to fix it. I made one for my (unbroken) plane myself.

I might try to do that, its a good idea. I discovered why the nose is useful 😉

Slowly shaping the keel. I decided to remove the garboard plank on the forward starboard side, because it had some damage. This will also make it easyer to fit the new keel. I will shape the port side of the keel first, and then copy the shape to starboard side.

Last edited by Fredostli; 01-14-2019 at 03:35 AM.