Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small runabout barn-find

Default Small runabout barn-find

Well the barn, or shed was teared down, and the reason the owner had to let it go, for free This will get in line with other projects, maybe start next year. I am lucky to have a place to store it.

Sent fra min GT-N7100 via Tapatalk

Default Re: Small runabout barn-find

I'm going to look at a similar small Bristol runabout next week. Bankruptcy auction:

That looks lik a nice boat. Ply or carvel? Mine is lapstrake

Ply, made by Quimby Veneer Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredostli View Post
    Well the barn, or shed was teared down, and the reason the owner had to let it go, for free This will get in line with other projects, maybe start next year. I am lucky to have a place to store it.
    Really pretty. Good luck with it.

How much of that do you think you will have to replace? I like the lines of it, but, personally, I enjoy building new more than renovation.

First; I am building new too 😉 I will pick it up tomorrow and take some more photos. I think I will do some changes on the sheer and build a new windscreen. The hull is in good shape as far as I have seen now. I will lay a new deck on it also.

Got it home today. Some more photos. The planking is a bit worn at the ends on the transom. But the wood gives the right sound knocking on it elsewhere. A bit messy inside. I will clean it up and maybe start a little this summer, but my priority is the Argie15 I am building. ☺

That's going to be quite a project. I rebuilt a similar size PennYan years ago. Planking was fine, but had to replace all ribs. I'm surprised the rib spacing is so far apart on your boat.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

i have studied some plans and see often closer spacing between ribs. Close to the keel bottom there is a sawed frame at each rib and the rib is layed on top of it and extend up on the sides. Maybe this is the reason it can have this spacing.

A photo explains better maybe

Skinny and wide spacing they may be, but she has held together OK, so if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    That said if you do need to replace some broken ribs, it might give peace of mind to go up a bit in thickness as you can't really change the width.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

All the ribs are in good shape. a really small crack in the bend in one of the ribs aft, there is a tight bend on the ribs aft, because it has a relatively flat bottom.

All the ribs are in good shape. a really small crack in the bend in one of the ribs aft, there is a tight bend on the ribs aft, because it has a relatively flat bottom.
    There you go then.
    See if you can find some nice crooks for those standing knees, she deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    There you go then.
    See if you can find some nice crooks for those standing knees, she deserves it.
    I am thinkig about a total rebuild of the benches. It looks like it has been customized a bit. In november/desember issue of watercraft 2016 Gartside has a 17 ft. runabout. I might build a windscreen and interior inspired by that design. (Gartside #221)

I agree she deserves upgrading some details like those knees. I have a question: Do you think the benches is needed for the integrety/stiffness of the hull? The Gartside design have this side benches aft, and no benches across. Its a design for glued lap, , but can also be buildt trad. lap. he says in the article, so i guess I could build a partly similar interior.

I am thinkig about a total rebuild of the benches. It looks like it has been customized a bit. In november/desember issue of watercraft 2016 Gartside has a 17 ft. runabout. I might build a windscreen and interior inspired by that design. (Gartside #221)

I agree she deserves upgrading some details like those knees. I have a question: Do you think the benches is needed for the integrety/stiffness of the hull? The Gartside design have this side benches aft, and no benches across. Its a design for glued lap, , but can also be buildt trad. lap. he says in the article, so i guess I could build a partly similar interior.
    I think with those skinny and widely spaced frames I would want the resistance to panting that those thwarts and their standing knees provide.

A similar Electrolux boat....

And an Archimedes

I have my eyes always open for a good one of these....but means the bigger Storebro has to go

Sad how many of these dissappeared when plastic came along, and how many of the builders went with it....
    Any builders plate on the boat, or a home build?

Cool. Never heard about Electroluxbåten. Sweedish?

There are no builders plate on the boat but I am pretty sure its a Rana-boat. The planking is spruce with oak ribs, like they used on Rana-boats. The beam is relatively narrow at 156 cm including sheer batten at the widest. Relatively flat bottom, so I guess 25 hp will be suitable, making here go 20 knots.

Cool. Never heard about Electroluxbåten. Sweedish?

There are no builders plate on the boat but I am pretty sure its a Rana-boat. The planking is spruce with oak ribs, like they used on Rana-boats. The beam is relatively narrow at 156 cm including sheer batten at the widest. Relatively flat bottom, so I guess 25 hp will be suitable, making here go 20 knots.
    There was a lot of builders in the "campingbåt" market, Storebro and Electrolux (Swedish) being the most common, but were many others, in mahogany and pine/fir. I find these old boats, from a styling perspective, have curves in all the right places, modern plastic in this size just does not compare.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    I find these old boats, from a styling perspective, have curves in all the right places, modern plastic in this size just does not compare.
    I totally agree. I like to spend time on the water, and a big part of this is to be in a boat with nice lines, an wooden boats smells different, sounds different and feels in a way "warmer" I think it is worth the extra maintenance! And the maintenance is quality time in itself. I do not feel that way in my plastic cabincruiser, although its good for holiday trips with the family ;-)

Pretty little runabout. Very Norwegian in design and construction.

Lovely shape, I’m looking forward to watching this one being restored.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Beauty. She about 14 feet/ 4 meters?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

She is 4,3 meters total lenght. I like it better the more I look at it, and I am eager to start restoring it. My Argie 15 will be finished and get out of my shop next summer so then the runabout is next. Also need a suitable outboard, and will look for one (and money to buy it )

A god day for my Runaboat project. Got this 30 hp Honda four stroke very cheap from a neighbour. A litter bigger than first planned but we mounted it on at it loooked right!

I have been joining the coastal federation http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...%F8&highlight= and we have a boatshed where we are working on mostly nordlandsboats for the federation, but its posible to bring your own wooden boat. We meet there once a week, and I have decided to take the runabout there and work on it thru the winter. Now that I allredy have a motor, my motivation to work on it got some boost :-) It is also a good thing to work together and get help from other enthusiasts.

Cracking deal on the Honda! Sounds like a good plan of action.It would be nice if there was a co-operative like that around here, rather than boat bonfires....

Nice looking boat. And a good size motor for it. We are happy on our 1959 Sorg 15 foot runabout with a Suzuki 25.

I definitely think you need the thwarts. Ours has 3 rows of seating, 4 ride comfortably and I think any more would be too much. Fixed bench back with a step through up front to balance the motor, battery and fuel tank(s). Then two benches with fold down backs. Side benches aft might be tempting but there is a lot of stress back there, so I'd brace it with a thwart, or maybe a horseshoe type bench. And check out that windshield, one of the prettitest we've seen. For More Info

Have fun with your new boat!

Kent and Audrey

Wow! that is a real beauty Kent and Audrey. Inspiring to se the photos. Do you have more specific measurments. I see the manufacture plate has a number 430. Is this the length? (metric) What is the beam? The reason for asking is to compare with mine. I am thinking about moving the dashboard and seat 10-20 cm aft, to get better room for the legs. I know it is important to balance the hull so it`s a dilemma here. I will be using this boat mostly alone, or maybe with my Wife on a nice summerday, so my priority is not to balance it for people in the aft rows. (Family trips we take in the larger plastic-cruiser.) i would like you to tell me total length of your boat, and distance between the forward seats, and the transom. This will give some ideas for placing the seats/rows on mine.

I discovered today the keel is not straight (vertically. It looks like the keel have a dropdown at the transom. The hull looks symetric thou. I dont know if its suppose to be like that? It could be a shape to help lift the transom up from the water, but it could also be a sag from bad storage etc. In the worst case i will need to replace the keel, and may be the first lap... i post a drawing to explain the profile of the keel in next post via tapatalk.

Fred

Keel profile, I must add that the planking follow the keel profile (look at post #8)

Last edited by Fredostli; 07-28-2017 at 02:08 AM.

Keel profile, I must add that the planking follow the keel profile (look at post #8)

Months of being badly supported on a trailer. You should be able to get that hook out with proper blocking under the keel back to the transom and some weights pushing down on the hump.

Hi Fred

The boat is 15 feet from the tip of the bow to the top of the transom. 5 foot beam. I'll get the other measurements but in the meantime you might be able to scale the seat location from the photos. Here is the boat with 2 adults up front, she ran 20 plus mph loaded this way just to see if the prop and motor tilt performed as anticipated, they did.

Here is a video of how we outfit the Willow, some things to consider as you design your interior, like access to safety gear, battery, bilge, motor, etc...and where your USB port will go

The Sorg is a close cousin to the Lyman 15 runabout, so you might look a images of that boat to see the variety of seat and steering configurations.

Cheers
    Kent and Audrey
    Willow

Here is a better wiev of the bottom and the arched keel

Last edited by Fredostli; 07-29-2017 at 04:18 PM.

I shared this on a Norwegian woden boat Facebook group. Several people told me this is the original shape of the hull. They also had owned one themselves.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

She looks stove in to my eye.

This boat is not hooked and has a small ob .

I recon this beam that is NOT under the transom is the culprit.