X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greenman
    • Jul 2017

Argie 15 Build for sailing and fishing

Hello all.

Firstly, thank you to all the posters on here for your input in this forum. I've learnt a lot. Thank you especially for posting your mistakes as well as your triumphs. We learn more from these sometimes!

Well the plans and patterns are ordered and posted so I guess the gun has fired for this build.

Living on the bay, it’s time I built a boat so I can enjoy this beautiful area of the world. So much protected water here!!

The Argie 15 was chosen because I liked the look of it. That was pretty much it. It looks pretty stable too, which I liked. Also it is a fairly simple design and this is my first boat build.

Here are a couple that others have built...

Design can be found here: http://www.dixdesign.com/argie15.htm

Some people on here have done some amazing things with this design and you were my inspiration (@capefox, @Fudzwollop and others). I plan on using the boat to sail in, but also as a fishing vessel from time to time. A 6-10hp motor will at times be bolted to the transom for some versatility.

The boat (at this stage) will be built with a balanced lug sail, engine mount on the transom, fibreglass bottom, side seating, storage for fishing rods, and I want some technology on board. A boat trailer will be used to launch it.

Initial questions:

1. I have two choices of 6mm ply from a reputable source. In my price range, it’s either gaboon or pink marine (otherwise known as red meranti or pacific maple). I understand the gaboon (9kg per sheet) is lighter but the pink marine (11.2kg per sheet) should be stronger (shouldn’t it?). I’ll be using 8 sheets all up. As I plan on running an outboard occasionally, should I go the pink marine for strength? I figure 8.4kg difference in the ply selection is not that much for this type of boat?? Correct me if I’m wrong, but rot would be less an issue too, wouldn’t it with the pink marine? Pink marine is $50 per sheet cheaper too. Designer states that both timbers are fine for this boat.

2. Should I choose a thicker ply in the transom due to the outboard motor? The plans state that it should be good for a 10HP motor as is (6mm), but would YOU go a little thicker on the transom if it was your project?

3. Would it be advantageous to butt join the sheets together before marking out and cutting the sides and bottom to ensure the lines are true? Could the cutting, moving damage the joins in some way (assuming I was careful).

Thank you in advance for any help/advice/constructive criticism you may offer. What a great community for this kind of project you all are!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Greenman; 07-28-2017, 03:09 AM.
  • Fredostli
    • Aug 2013

Re: Argie 15 Build for sailing and fishing

Hei

Good idea with luggsail. I am also building Argie with a lug-rig, and I believe it is a great advantage when using it for fishing.

1. The stich and glue design is very light, so I guess some more weight for extra strenght is worth it.

2. You could always strenghten the transom where the motor is mounted, I believe I would. (I am building for rowing or an electric, so no problem here)

3. Others will tell you, I am sure :-)

looking forward to follow your build. Have you also considered standing lug?

Regards

Fred

Comment

• Fudzwollop
      • May 2015

I can't praise my boomless Standing Lug enough... looking forward to following your build Greenman.

Comment

• Greenman
        • Jul 2017

Thanks guys.

I am trying to source 50mm fibreglass tape for fillets. I note that if you buy the Argie 15 as a kit, you get 9oz tape (approx. 300gsm). I also note that most places only stock 200 gsm tapes (6oz). Am I overthinking it to believe that 6oz won't be strong enough? I don't want to under-engineer this thing with the amount of hours and $$ that will go into it.

Opinions much appreciated.

Comment

• Fredostli
          • Aug 2013

200 gsm on both side and a good fillet, and I believe you rip apart the plywood long before the fillet! But I have not tested it ;-) You could also make a little test with two pieced joined this way, to get a feel of how strong it gets.

Comment

• Fudzwollop
            • May 2015

Originally posted by Greenman
            Thanks guys.

I am trying to source 50mm fibreglass tape for fillets. I note that if you buy the Argie 15 as a kit, you get 9oz tape (approx. 300gsm). I also note that most places only stock 200 gsm tapes (6oz). Am I overthinking it to believe that 6oz won't be strong enough? I don't want to under-engineer this thing with the amount of hours and $$ that will go into it.

Opinions much appreciated.
            Yeah....lol. 200gsm either side after the fillet and the joint can get passed onto your great grand kids after the rest of the boat has rotted away. I had a boat come off the trailer at 95km an hour. It landed on the rudder and tore the rudder clean off the boat. I had joined the rudder with one small fillet and one peice of 200gsm tape around it. The joint was solid, it tore a big peice of the transom wood out around the rudder to come free. None of the other joints budged either.....patched up the transom and went sailing a week later. Payson says the join will be stronger than the wood either side of the join and he's right!!!

Comment

• Nikky
              • Nov 2016

Hiya, you might do well to consider where youre going to keep you Argie and how steep the launch ramp is. Although the stitch and glue method is very light I'd sacrifice some strength to give maouverability on the trailer. Especially if you're going to be single handed. The lighter ply should be fine. Especially if your glassing the outside too. I used gaboon on mine. Seems plenty strong enough.

As to joining the sheets together before cutting... I didn't. The disadvantage if you do is the weight of both sheets and the weekness of the joint on the vertical plane. Moving the double sheets about might be tricky. On the other hand it would avoid the mistake i made in cutting the scarph on the wrong side..... thats why my argie is 3 inches shorter than everyone elses.... oops!

Comment

• Greenman
                • Jul 2017

Awesome. 200gsm it is then. I'll be launching from a boat trailer an we have relatively new boat ramps installed here. Launching won't be an issue.

Comment

• Greenman
                  • Jul 2017

Seems "stuff" has appeared in the garage....

Looks like I'll be having a crack at scarfing the joins too...

Also just worked out how to upload the photos properly.

Comment

• mchex
                    • Feb 2016

Congratulations. I think you've selected a great boat. Am looking forward to following your progress here.

Comment

• Greenman
                      • Jul 2017

Thanks mchex

Well I started the prep work for the scarf joints. It was going to take forever with a hand plane so I started with the electric plane, then moved onto the hand plane, then onto the electric sander. I will finish with a long sanding block. It doesn't need to be perfect as I am not finishing bright.

The prep for the scarf was not as scary as I initially thought. Should end up ok. I have plenty of time as the plans will take a few weeks to get to here.

Comment

• Fredostli
                        • Aug 2013

Something tells me this will be a good boat in the end! Waiting for plans you said? Mine took 0,5 seconds (pdf via email in a zip file) Just ask if you need other info on preparations you can do. That said, I recomend building a bench to lift the build up from the floor 50cm or so (Your back will thank you :-))

Comment

• Nikky
                          • Nov 2016

I second that. Even with a raised bench it felt like a real workout on some days. I had my bench (made out of an old bed frame) on castors so I could move it around the work-space which was limited.
                          Be careful while moving the scarfed pieces once they are glued. Until you get them all joined together the joints are still vulnerable as they are great long planks of wood. I lifted my port hand topside and heard a crack that had me reaching for the fiber glass tape. Perfectly strong once held by the surrounding pieces though.

Comment

• mchex
                            • Feb 2016

Greenman,

I ordered my plans from Duckworks and they got here fast. Maybe yours will be in hand quickly too.

A nice looking scarf stack! Seriously.

I feel that I need to warn you about something you will discover on the plans. Dix calls for the plywood sheets to be butted together end-to-end. Some of the boat panels are drawn pretty tight to the space. By scarfing you just cost yourself whatever length your scarf is. There is some wiggle room, by which I mean a couple of cms. to shift here and there and close up some of the gaps. You need to watch your panel layouts carefully to make sure the drawn pieces won't overlap.

Take a good look at the plan sheets before you begin. Realize that what Dix thinks ought to be 192" is going to be like 190" instead. Dix also gives laying-out dimensions from the edges of the panels and you may no longer be able to use some of them; just be careful. If it all won't fit, then go for the bottom and the four side panels: you can always buy other wood later on for the seat tops.

Forewarned is forearmed. If you pay attention I think you can get it out.

Comment

• Greenman
                              • Jul 2017

Thanks all. Really appreciate the comments (help).

Mchex, I have ordered the full scale plans and from what I gather, there is an inch either side not used on the ply (I really hope this is right!!). The scarf is 48mm, so effectively I only lose 48mm in total with the scarf. It will be very close though. Nothing like living on the edge!!!

Comment

Working...