Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Argie 15 Build for sailing and fishing

Default Re: Argie 15 Build for sailing and fishing

Unless you plan to have a large number of people on board on a regular basis go ahead with the forward side benches. One person on each side can easily juggle their feet and be comfortable. As for a waterproof hatch, if you can build a boat (and you're doing an excellent job of that) you can make you own hatches. I have made four hatches (one triangular to fit the front deck) all of which will be waterproof when I get around to using some silicone to make gaskets.

This looks ridiculous doesn't it? Is the top supposed to sit up on a cleat or something? The top piece is 90mm wide, reducing down to about 60mm. The plan calls for a piece that reduces from 75mm to 25mm. Really not sure how to do this. The bottom pieces are 42mmx19mm (too large?).

Nothing is glued in yet, except the casing and it is not yet in its final position. The ply is 9mm, rather than 6mm lime the rest of the boat.

What would you do here (apart from making a centreboard...)? All timber is hardwood.

I routed a grove in the top piece, in the depth of the side wall. So the top piece is mounted on the sides, but also cover the top of the sides. I think its a good thing to cover the ends of the plywood. Remember that the total height must be the right height included the top piece, to match the centerboard.

If you already glued the top pieces i would make a thinner piiece and glue on top, and then reduce the the sides the same amount at the bottom...

Should I remake the daggerboard casing and glass the inside?

The daggerboard case is one of the most common places where leaks and rot get into a boat. A glass-sheathed daggerboard case will resist wear and prove more durable, saving you down-time later on. You could also add graphite to the epoxy so that the case is subject to less friction during use.

Thanks capefox and Fred.

I emailed Dudley (the designer of the Argie 15) overnight regarding glassing the daggerboard as the instructions did not ask for it. He stated that he has never glassed the inside of a daggerboard casing. I think I might leave it as is.

On a more positive note, my timber supplier gave me a slab of hoop pine for the top of the daggerboard (140mm wide) so I routed it out to fit the casing (thanks Fred!). It came up really well.

I have dry fitted the seat risers and filled a million holes with thickened epoxy. Starting to feel like I am getting somewhere.

Note the thinner bench seats at the front. With the bow riser moved forward for the standing lug sail, this made sense (I did not have the room for two 300mm wide seats there. I have some additional plans for those front seats if all goes well.

And i thought i built mine quickly! Looking great.

Thanks Nikky. Just hoping one way or another to be on the water before our holidays in December. If I don't have it sailing by then, so be it...I'll use a 9.9 mercury outboard in the meantime.

For those who have built this boat, can anyone recall what dimensions the fibreglass was when you glassed the hull. I'd like to order it soon so it is ready when I need it. Can I assume 6oz (200 gsm) was used? 3 or 4 fibreglass sheets (2 sides, one bottom, one transom), dimensions...?? How much epoxy is used approx. on the hull?

I've never done this before so I could really do with some advise to get my head around how to go about it and what size sheets to order.

I also assume you turn the boat over, fill the holes, fill and round the chines, lay the glass on the boat and then paint/squeegee the epoxy into the glass from top to bottom....?

If this is your first epoxy project I highly recomend reading this: http://www.westsystem.com/the-gougeo...-construction/ Its a free pdf book.I think 60oz should do the job. You are right making the hull smooth before glassing. Avoid pockets for air under the sheets.

But again read the books chapter about glassing

Fred

Sent fra min GT-N7100 via Tapatalk

I think I had 2 metre wide cloth and glassed the bottom in one piece then the two topsides. I used 12 meters of cloth in all with the topsides cut down to a metre width. I didn't count it but I think it used about 2 pints of resin. Don't forget that once you've whetted out the glass and its set hard you'll need to apply a second coat of un-thickened epoxy to fill the weave properly. I didn't do mine properly and if you look you can still see and feel the weave under the epoxy.

Yes turn her upside down to do this. I made a jacket out of the glass cloth stuck together with masking tape then let it settle overnight to allow the creases to smooth out then applied the epoxy. The tactile feeling of the glass cloth covering the whole boat before you apply the sticky stuff is wonderful. I defy you not to spend half an hour stroking you boat (that's not a euphemism).

Sail quote from Far East sails. $465 USD including postage.

Gaff Mainsail
    > 2 Reefs
    > Draft Stripe, Telltails, Triple Stitched
    > Sailbag
    > Mast Rake 8 degrees
    > Aluminum Headboard, Leech line, Cam Cleat
    > Radial Patches Head, Clew and Tack
    > Sail Slides or slugs included
    > Sail Area : 89.87ft2 (8.34m2)
    >
    > 5.18oz Challenge Performance Cruise - Cross cut

How do the specs sound?

Time for an update I guess as it has been over a week. I look forward to someone starting one of these so that I can be the second year apprentice, rather than the first year...

I've done a few odd jobs on it that had to be done but not a lot to show for it.

Side compartments fitted and filleted:

A hole cut for the daggerboard casing. Not sure how to attach or finish this:

Side seats scribed and cut:

Reverse mast step prepared:

If you haven't noticed already....

There is a flagpole in my boat. Wanting to use it for the mast. It is tapered from 80mm to 60mm, is anodised aluminium and just happens to be 4.5 metres long. The only issue I have is that it is 2mm thick and I have no idea if that is too thin?? I'd like to use this to sit on top of what I call the reverse mast step (see above).

Oh, and I have filled lots of holes with thickened epoxy and have lots more to go.

It will soon be time to flip her over and work the underside.
    Last edited by Greenman; 09-09-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Maybe contact dudley dix about the 2mm thick mast. Be a shame if its too thin as it sounds ideal other wise. Maybe you could wrap it in fibreglass?

Boat's comming on beautifully.

Thanks Nikky. Just heard back from Dudley and he reckons it will be fine.

That's a result :-)

HM looking at the photo. is it 4,5 meters from transom to top of stem.? I am not shure my Argie is Must check when I get home :-)

I think its about 4.7metres. Shouldn't worry as long as its close. All Argies are a bit different.

4.61m

Holes have appeared in the boat 200mm or 8". Also set in the daggerboard casing. It is now ready to fillet and fibreglass.

Made some reinforcing rings for the holes and purchased some 200mm waterproof hatches

Daggerboard pieces cut and glued. hardwood on the leading and trailing edges as well as in the middle as a stiffener.

Also grabbed a large circular sander (Fudzwollop signature series). Should help with the foils as well as the hull sanding.

Ha! I read your post on an e-mail that doesn't show pictures. Was worried that there was a problem with unwanted holes appearing in your boat:-) Coming together nicely.

Be careful about the type of caulk you use to seal around the hatch. Some types will yellow and brittle the plastic hatches.