Thread: Norway in November

Default Norway in November

Greetings from Montana. We booked a 7-day Hurtigruten "cruise" yesterday for mid-November. Depart from Bergen and disembark at Kirkenes. Our impetus for the trip is to hopefully spend some quality time with the aurora borealis and obviously see the Norwegian coast. I'm not exactly sure now which ports we will visit but would appreciate any advice or recommendations for maritime/nautical sights along the coast and in Oslo and Copenhagen.

Anyone have suggestions for interesting accommodations and/or restaurants in Bergen, Oslo, and/or Copenhagen?

How about day trips from Copenhagen?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Gary Davis

Default Re: Norway in November

The west coast of Norway is spectacular. Around Oslo Fiord the coast is more gentle, there is even farmland. Go to the Viking Museum across the Harbor from Oslo. In Oslo there is Froggner Parken with Viggilund's (pardon the spelling) nude sculptures. You will never see so many larger than life nudes any where else. The Norwegians are very proud of him.

Thanks but my wife already thinks I'm a pervert.

That's it? Is it because my wife thinks I'm a pervert?

Hi Gary,
    In Bergen, go to the Centre for Coastal Culture, the Maritime Museum, and the Fisheries Museum. Also, see the Staatsrad Lemkhul, if she's in. If you have time for a day-trip,
    go to the Centre for Ship Preservation in the Hardangerfjord.
    In Oslo, go to the Viking Ship Museum, the Kon Tiki Museum, the Maritime Museum, the Gjoa, the Fram Museum, the Small Boat Hall, and the Folk Culture Museum. They are all at Bigdoy. You catch a ferry to get there. Also, see the Christian Radich, if she's in.
    For a day-trip from Copenhagen, go to the Viking Ship Museum (working shipyard) at Roskilde.
    Mr Google will help you find the correct names for these places. We did all these things on my Big Retirement Trip in 2004.
    Cheers,
    Ian
    Last edited by IanMilne; 07-23-2017 at 03:32 AM.
    Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

Google each port well ahead of time to see if village is worth a look, or skippable in favor of some boat sponsored excursion. For instance Alesund is too much a jewel to skip for some overpriced outbound excursion, althou I am guessing your boat stops there twice. One excursion prevents you from seeing the worlds best fjord Gieranger at least in the outbound direction as a bus carries you to an onward port.

If you are hungry for a value conscious inland excursion try the 1 day Norway in a nutshell combo ticket from and to Bergen. Not the commercial version, the city mass transit version includes cog railway, Sognefjord ferry, and train tix. Watch for museum, store, and even restaurant opening times which are quite limited for convenience of staff rather than customers.

thanks that's great help

When you get to Bodø (Where I am sitting at work stealing time posting on WBF) they have Rib trips to Saltstraumen Maelstrom. I have never been on such a trip but I have past Saltstraumen with my own boat several times. Its really great! Be prepared the daylight is short in november up north regarding seeing the coast. I grev up with the Aurora borealis further North in Alta. Good luck finding it! :-)

Thanks for that info. Bodo looks like a very interesting locale and the maelstrom equally interesting. We'll see how our schedule goes.

Gary

Oh, you may be late enough that they skip Gier. fjord due to winter schedule. Anyhoo, I found some amazing videos of the whole 134 hour trip in June weather, in case you want to see what you missed in a sleet storm. Search youtube for hurtigruten minute by minute . There are highlights videos, and somewhat boring webcams from the ship, and (this is the amazing part) the actual copy of the edited (still full length) version that played live on Norway TV.

There are pointers to the downloadable files from Norway TV of about a zillion gigs. Years ago I could only find the zombie ship webcams there but the fancy versions ,may be there now since they are on youtube too. There is a shorter video of the entire run of the Oslo to Bergan train run too which is manageable size. The actual edited tv program is wonderful where each port welcomes them with festive music and dance, and even underway they switch webcams to show the most interesting angle from the boat (replica viking ships come alongside, etc).

P.S here is the week long trip sped up to half an hour from unmanned ship camera (skip ahead for better viewing weather) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uXzkNYsQfM
    Last edited by rudderless; 08-10-2017 at 01:25 AM.

Very interesting and a good idea. Thanks for taking the the time.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by IanMilne View Post
    In Oslo, go to the Viking Ship Museum, the Kon Tiki Museum, the Maritime Museum, the Gjoa, the Fram Museum, the Small Boat Hall, and the Folk Culture Museum. They are all at Bigdoy. You catch a ferry to get there. Also, see the Christian Radich, if she's in.
    +1 this, and if you're fit sign up for the city-bike program and ride around that way, great way to see the city. I did it in November no problems, a little chilly but what the hell. You can ride through the royal farm to get to Bigdoy. Riding through Frogner Park at night with the bike and the sculptures is awesome. Frogner is very cool, don't discount it. At night, even better!

Thanks. We're still developing our itinerary for the non-ship days. Maybe another day/night in Oslo?