Thread: Cockpit seat design

Question Cockpit seat design

I'm looking at building wooden seats for my Elver cockpit. These would substitute for the canvas seats depicted in the plans since they would be higher, could be left in place, and avoid the time consuming step of lacing up the canvas. I estimate the seats to not weigh more than about 10 lbs each side. And they could be easily popped out for maintenance.

I've looked on Google and thought about the shape of the seats. The best that I could come up with were bench front being 17" off the deck, the bench would slope down 6 degrees from front to back and the back would be 90 degrees in relation to the bench.

I plan to build these of 1/2" cedar strips spaced 1/2" apart. The strips would run fore and aft or crosswise to someone sitting in the seat. The back will be at most, 6" high off the rear of the bench.

I could make the bench flat but since the seat will be built of strips it's a simple matter of building in a slight curve for better comfort. But I'm at a loss for finding any standards for the bench curve. I suppose that I could build some trial curves and test them for comfort but does anyone know of some design standards for this curve?

Thanks and best regards,
    Will

Default Re: Cockpit seat design

Absent documentation, or mention of a clearly popular marine candidate, I would audition some porch swings. Or, look for some porch swing plans on woodworking sites and mock some up.

Chip

Porch swings? - excellent idea. There's a few around where I live. Thanks!
    Will

Park benches and Adirondack type chairs might be worth a look too.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Hi Will
    The standard seat for the ARTEMIS sailing canoe, the HUGH HORTON Venice seat, is made from strips (or slats). It's a piece of human engineering, designed to fit like a car seat, and has been extensively tested. You obviously do not need the full adjustability of that seat, but feel free to copy the bottom and back curves.
    https://www.bootsbaugarage.ch/produkte.htm
    Plans are free. Just send me a mail to receive a copy.

More photos:
    https://www.bootsbaugarage.ch/img/seat_2.JPG
    https://www.bootsbaugarage.ch/img/seat_3.JPG

Best, Axel
    Last edited by canoe_sailor; 07-18-2017 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Adding links for photos