Thread: had a good cringe lately?

Default had a good cringe lately?

The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Default Re: had a good cringe lately?

Unless the shooter fired the last round, that thing is still loaded.......wow
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Don't under-estimate Jack. He's purty damned talented

Quote Originally Posted by jack grebe View Post
    I was thinking more along the lines of archeological destruction...
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Asa conservator, though mostly of paper, I see what you mean by cringe. If that weapon comes from where he says it does isn't it part of the National Estate?

Evedently he's never watched "Antiques Roadshow".
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Asa conservator, though mostly of paper, I see what you mean by cringe. If that weapon comes from where he says it does isn't it part of the National Estate?
    I thought it was against the law to take anything away from these sites and fines could be pretty hefty if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Grebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen
    I was thinking more along the lines of archeological destruction...
    Quote Originally Posted by Skuthorp
    As a conservator, though mostly of paper, I see what you mean by cringe. If that weapon comes from where he says it does isn't it part of the National Estate?
    Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie
    I thought it was against the law to take anything away from these sites and fines could be pretty hefty if you do.
    WHAT!? Are you people some kind of anti-capitalistic, anti-free-market, libturd pinko radicals?

The guy purchased the relic fair and square at the BIG GUNSHOW held annually in Louisville, Kentucky. He owns the thing and can melt it down for manhole cover material if he wishes. And if it fires off a round and pierces his skull what right do you have to question his actions?

This is U.S. of freaking A.! What is wrong with you guys?
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 07-17-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you have heard this bull before.

But, what if it, instead pierced the skull of the dude holding the camera?

Speaking of the Government Estate, how come the log of the Enola Gay ,noting the Hiroshima mission, is in private hands less than a half mile from my front porch?
    Shouldn't that be in the national archives?
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

'Bought it at a gun show'. Any reliable authentication documentation come with it? Otherwise it has no value as a Custer relic, could be anything. In that condition very careful conservation, x rays etc will be needed to find any serial numbers. Smacking rust of with a hammer will not do that.

'Bought it at a gun show'. Any reliable authentication documentation come with it? Otherwise it has no value as a Custer relic, could be anything. In that condition very careful conservation, x rays etc will be needed to find any serial numbers. Smacking rust of with a hammer will not do that.
    once the serial number is known, it can be looked up

So the guy's determined grinding and repeated acid applications was a success!

So why were you "cringing" in the original post? All's well that ends well. Correct?

Once the guy has cleaned it up he could spray paint it pink, and give it to his sister to take to college
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

In all seriousness... the Little Bighorn Battlefield is a National Monument. The battle was in 1876. The site was declared a U.S. National Cemetery in 1879. The site was transferred from the U.S. Department of War to the National Park Service in 1940.

Unauthorized digging for artifacts on that site are just as illegal as digging for artifacts at Gettysburg or Antietam or any other battlefield national park or national cemetery.

Since the guy in the video evidently has no documentation regarding legal provenance we may assume he purchased contraband. So we may assume he is a moron.

Phillip Allen evidently worried about the guy's ham-handed treatment of the relic. He ought to have been just as concerned -- if not more concerned -- about the evidently illegal acquisition and possession of contraband.

If the guy thought the relic might be a Custer battlefield relic -- as he said he did -- he should have turned it over to the National Park Service rather than butcher it. As I said... a moron.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 07-17-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    In all seriousness... the Little Bighorn Battlefield is a National Monument. The battle was in 1876. The site was declared a U.S. National Cemetery in 1879. The site was transferred from the U.S. Department of War to the National Park Service in 1940.

Unauthorized digging for artifacts on that site are just as illegal as digging for artifacts at Gettysburg or Antietam or any other battlefield national park or national cemetery.

Since the guy in the video evidently has no documentation regarding legal provenance we may assume he purchased contraband. So we may assume he is a moron.

Phillip Allen evidently worried about the guy's ham-handed treatment of the relic. He ought to have been just as concerned -- if not more concerned -- about the evidently illegal acquisition and possession of contraband.
    If you took time to listen, the gun was excavated in the 1930's so it was not a National Park at that time.... Nothing illegal. Documentation was from the 1930's also as to the serial #. The guy is not a moron for buying it, he's a freaking lottery winner......

So the guy's determined grinding and repeated acid applications was a success!

So why were you "cringing" in the original post? All's well that ends well. Correct?
    the number was already known... he just wanted to find it repeated elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by jack grebe
    If you took time to listen, the gun was excavated in the 1930's so it was not a National Park at that time.... Nothing illegal. Documentation was from the 1930's also as to the serial #. The guy is not a moron for buying it, he's a freaking lottery winner......
    IN 1930 THE SITE WAS A FREAKING NATIONAL CEMETERY! AND HAD BEEN FOR 51 YEARS!

The guy is not only moron... he is also a law breaker for knowingly purchasing and keeping contraband.

Your move.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 07-17-2017 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    here's an example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NoNxG2z07c

the number was already known... he just wanted to find it repeated elsewhere
    A relic with that number had been seen and documented in a scholarly tome... and then had disappeared. This moron knew that. So what did he do? Turn it in to the National Park Service which has had responsibility for the site since 1940?

Nope. Grind away and splash acid repeatedly on the thing.

Grebe evidently thinks that since the U.S. Department of War no longer exists any unauthorized digging at the National Cemetery prior to 1940 under their noses no longer applies.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 07-17-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Phillip Allen: Your last post is beside the point.

No one is questioning one way or another the identification of the relic by this moron. I am questioning his illegal possession and butchering of a relic that the moron believed was genuinely found at the Custer National Cemetery in 1930.

Since your original post spoke of "cringing" I am guessing that in your heart of hearts you know I am correct.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 07-17-2017 at 06:55 PM.

Phillip Allen: Your last post is beside the point.

No one is questioning one way or another the identification of the relic by this moron. I am questioning his illegal possession and butchering of a relic that the moron believed was genuinely found on the Custer Battlefield.

Since your original post spoke of "cringing" I am guessing that in your heart of hearts you know I am correct.
    yes... I speak to that in a later post... it IS the source of my cringe

In 1930 the site was the National Cemetery of Custer's Battlefield Reservation aka the Custer National Cemetery. It had been the responsibility of the U.S. Department of War from 1879 until 1940 when the responsibility for the site was turned over to the U.S. National Park Service.

Yes Phillip, it is VERY cringe-worthy. You see? We do not always disagree. But I could not initially resist teasing ya'll.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 07-17-2017 at 06:52 PM.

I cringe every time I hear president Trump on the radio.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    I can't change the channel quick enough, that man can say nothing I want to hear. If I even think he may talk I turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    then find us a better choice next election

To paraphrase another thread, 'you won, you won', and desperately blaming the Dems for that and the damage Donald is now doing and invoking Hillary again just confirms to me that the GOP, and Donald need Hill. as a stalking horse. Well she's gone mate, gone.
    I find it very droll that the party that holds all the aces is really desperate for her to run again to take the pressure off their own performance, such as it is.

To paraphrase another thread, 'you won, you won', and desperately blaming the Dems for that and the damage Donald is now doing and invoking Hillary again just confirms to me that the GOP, and Donald need Hill. as a stalking horse. Well she's gone mate, gone.
    I find it very droll that the party that holds all the aces is really desperate for her to run again to take the pressure off their own performance, such as it is.
    invoking hilly? does that mean there was a better choice than her after all?

A relic with that number had been seen and documented in a scholarly tome... and then had disappeared. This moron knew that. So what did he do? Turn it in to the National Park Service which has had responsibility for the site since 1940?

Nope. Grind away and splash acid repeatedly on the thing.

Grebe evidently thinks that since the U.S. Department of War no longer exists any unauthorized digging at the National Cemetery prior to 1940 under their noses no longer applies.

Where was " unauthorized " digging mentioned?....... They are still burying people there....
    Kinda hard to bury without digging......

I have not had a good cringe since the Seahawks lost the Superb Owl to the Patriots. ;-)
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by jack grebe View Post
    Where was " unauthorized " digging mentioned?....... They are still burying people there....
    Kinda hard to bury without digging......

But taking whatever you found when digging there, even if the digging is authorized, would be illegal.
    Not a difficult concept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    I have not had a good cringe since the Seahawks lost the Superb Owl to the Patriots. ;-)

Nothing like a superb owl!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tom

unauthorized digging... some years ago (I understand) it became illegal to pick up Indian arrow heads from your own garden... if I see one, I intend to do something illegal

Here's another cringe:

A gentleman of my acquaintance inherited a Colt Python in cherry condition. He stored it in the trunk of his car, where it acquired a deep patina of rust. He attacked the rust with the only tool he had, a twelve-inch bastard file, and produced the only Octagon-barreled Python in handgun history.

Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    Here's another cringe:

A gentleman of my acquaintance inherited a Colt Python in cherry condition. He stored it in the trunk of his car, where it acquired a deep patina of rust. He attacked the rust with the only tool he had, a twelve-inch bastard file, and produced the only Octagon-barreled Python in handgun history.
    that's easy... I don't like the python