Thread: Have we entered the era of celebrity politicians?

Default Have we entered the era of celebrity politicians?

Well, I guess we entered it a long time ago... although more recently, I think it's changed.

The prototype celebrity politician has to be Ronald Reagan. He was a B actor in his heyday, with a string of genuinely forgettable roles, like in 'Bedtime for Bonzo' (although to be fair, he received very good notices for 'King's Row'). However, after a long stint as President of the Screen Actor's Guild (which I suppose gave him executive experience), he became Governor of California, and I've read that he was a fairly effective governor at the time. His election to the Presidency was no doubt tremendously helped by his understanding of the media... his genuinely folksy style engendered a great deal of affection for the guy. Also, to be fair, I don't think anyone would confuse him for a modern day Republican... of 9 budgets signed during his presidency, 7 of them actually raised taxes... and his big tax cut early in his first term backfired horribly... but he learned from it.

There certainly have been others. Sonny Buono, Jesse Ventura, and others. I don't know enough about either of the aforementioned ones, other than to say that they were not 'jokes'... they actually governed with an eye and attention towards policy, rather than trading on the characteristics of their celebrity.

Al Franken was entirely different.... his apprach to political office was quite specifically to NOT trade on his career as comedian and satirist... but to study, study, and study... paying attention to policy issues, and talking to potential constituents (his recent memior is an excellent read, by the way).

But things have changed now. We have the ultimate celebrity President... who conducts himself like a celebrity, not a President... with tweets as his principal means of communication, and with apparently NO attention towards policy, whatsoever, as if his job were to promote himself, not the accomplishments of his administration (there haven't been any, so far, aside from destroying the accomplishments of past administrations through executive action).

Scarier still, we're not facing the possibility of Kid Rock and Dwayne Johnson as candidates for office. It would be nice to think that these guys were the equivalent of Pat Paulsen, the old TV comedian who used faux campaigns as a publicity stunt.

It's not so clear that Johnson and Kid Rock are viewing it the same way.

Are we ready for President Johnson, and Senator Kid Rock?
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Default Re: Have we entered the era of celebrity politicians?

The nation's self driven process of dumbing down is well in hand it seems.

George Clooney/Gavin Newsome 2020
    There is nothing you can do with an ape/human hybrid. They'll rip your arm off.

Ben Franklin was both a celebrity and statesmen ( and, by many accounts, a philanderer and business mogul).

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Ben Franklin was both a celebrity and statesmen ( and, by many accounts, a philanderer and business mogul).

Kevin
    ..... but NOT president
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

I'd vote for Ashley Judd.

I'll vote for whomever as long as they are a Democrat.

Claiming "independence" or "undecided" is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    George Clooney/Gavin Newsome 2020
    Not after what he did to Batman.

Peace,
    Robert

Will we learn anything from our present disaster, and what will it be? Some possibilities are even more scary.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    ..... but NOT president
    He died during Washington's admin. Not very likely that he'd be more popular than Washington. Heck, without checking, he may have died BEFORE there was a president. I'm guessing he died at or around reaching 85 and he was born in 1707.

Beyonce 2020
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Heard on the radio Facebook Mark is considering a run for president, strange days indeed.

Fine.
    Alright.

I will run for prez.

Once I get to be a celebrity, that is.

Even more than the people cited earlier, is the example of Ahnold as CA governor, straight from film into a governor's chair.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

RESIST. FIGHT THE POWER.

Norm, nice to see you have changed your mind since I started a thread about the topic last year.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ight=celebrity

Quote Originally Posted by genglandoh View Post
    Norm, nice to see you have changed your mind since I started a thread about the topic last year.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ight=celebrity
    No, I didn't. 'Celebrities', by definition, and in the context of the OP, are people who made their name in fields OTHER than politics. Hillary Clinton might be a 'celebrity' in terms of her name recognition... but she was never known for any connection other than to politics. Same story with Obama.

Al Franken WOULD be a celebrity... since he spent 30 years as a comedian and satirist.

Only Trump, among the ones you mentioned, is a 'celebrity' in the context of this thread.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

sigh....

you people are idiots
    We don't know how lucky we are....