Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My adventure motorcycle summer ride report

Default Re: My adventure motorcycle summer ride report

On your way home I highly suggest you hit the Alvord desert in southern Oregon.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Sage after a rain, what a thing.
    Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post
    Sage after a rain, what a thing.
    I used to stop along the highway and cut a sprig and leave it on the dashboard of my truck. Then it would dry out, and the leaves would fall into the heater vent. Come winter, I would wonder why it smelled like sage, the first time that I turned on the heater.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

Sadly - i got home last night. had to deliver to a client this afternoon.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

The rally was interesting with informative talks, demo rides, motorcycle exhibits, live music, food trucks and under the stars crowd camping. Several riders rode from 2 and 3,000 miles. A guy in his late 70s rode his r60/5 from scranton which took him a week and another guy win his early 60s did Boston to Salt Lake City in 3 days!

There is nothing you can do with an ape/human hybrid. They'll rip your arm off.

My favorite talks were on travel of course.
    http://www.imtbike.com/ - talked about the joys of riding in Spain, France, Italy and the subside of Corsica and Sardinia. An organized tour looked super but so did a self guide tour too!

Here is the bike ridden from Scranton PA. 1971- r75/5.

One August, about 10 years ago, I rode from NYC to Montana, with a 4 hr stop in Sturgis, S.D., for the rally. BMW riders were about 1% of the bikers, and they always seemed to pass me on the freeway doing 90 mph. Different universe, when you are doing 70 and someone zips past you. They kept apart, you didn't see Harley and BMW riders fraternizing. OK, maybe the Harley riders kept apart...
    bccphalarope(dot)com

A very intriguing talk was the shipping and riding of one's own motorcycle to Europe. Stefan is the real deal and very nice too. I would trust him at his word and his stellar reputation is renown within the whole biking community. His insights were terrific. He is based out of Heidelberg Germany. His warehouse already holds 300 bikes from touring americans.

http://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Welcome.html

We shipped our bikes back from Montana to NYC for $450. They just strap them upright to a pallet. Makes the logistics of a 2 week vacation so much easier. Europe too, looks like.

We also reserved Natl Forest campground sites online, ahead of time. That way, at 4 pm you are still enjoying riding, rather than stressing about where to camp for the night.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

Bikes I saw at the rally. The one directly below is prepped for the cannonball rally.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    I like the side-saddle golf car like rear seat on that one.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

There were at least three different side car riders. each one carries his dog and does lots of camping. It's a thing!

I received a phone call on late Friday. It was one of my good clients and needed to be home by Monday (today)... I quickly purchased a new inexpensive helmet to replace the broken one (thank god as i couldn't breathe or even get sunglasses on!) for a show price of $124 saving a hundred off the retail price.

So on Saturday morning - we got up and were out of the rally by 7am. Obviously the yellowstone portion of the trip was cancelled but a ride back a different way was the compromise to a disappointing turn. I was determined to minimize interstate riding only 25 miles of the superslab and make the most of the trip even at speed.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-17-2017 at 03:08 PM.

As we passed through Ely making good time, my camelbak ice cube and water bladder valve broke releasing all the water down my jacket. Luckily it was hot and i needed the cool down. I stopped into the hunting store to pick one up. Hundreds of guns and was told millions of rounds were available to me there. Since on a bike i only picked up a valve.

Did stop for a good ice cream in Austin Nevada. It was 108 and i needed to get out of the sun. I drank 4 16 oz of ice water in 30 mins.

We made Fallon by 5pm. This time we stayed at the Comfort Inn. New motel with breakfast and a great cold indoor pool and hot tub. I thought 97 a night was reasonable for the only other motel stay and a good vietnamese Pho was had next door to boot.
    Note: The heat from the road melted the taped bag which is revealed as broken as it was over 110 degrees in the low desert parts and nearly 70 at 8000 feet.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-17-2017 at 03:24 PM.

The route I chose was going to be a big finish to a wonderful day in a great week of riding. Highway 50 to 95a to 395 to 208 then to the famous 108 to the 4 and home via the delta roads.

Have any of you ever driven or ridden the 108 Sonora Pass. It was epic yesterday!

Nearly got high enough to ride the clouds.

From the top of the Summit i was able to ride 11 miles down without turning on my motor and no cars in front or behind me.
    I soared in quiet rush and barely making the bumps and rises along the route. It was truly one of the best rides ever!

I came to a stop at a turn in the road after my coast at this bend in the river.

I rolled into Sonora, it was already near 100 and ordered breakfast fit for a lumberjack. As i ate - i became grateful for the ride and the time I took to do this. It doesn't get better than this really.

I had another 90 miles to go before I got home. It got hotter as i fueled up in near Escalon and for the delta levy ride home.

When I got home there was my wife and son happy to see me. She was just about to take him to work. I took off my hot suit and unpacked. Put on my bathing suit and jumped into the pool.

Great thread, Ted. Thanks for sharing your trip journal. I like the stripped-down functional look of the older BMW bikes. One can be forgiven for experiencing culture shock when traveling in the rural inter-mountain West. It's like being in an entirely different country. Maybe it is.

I'm so buying another road bike! But I need a new set of sails too. Lots of miles in hot conditions there Ted, but it sounds like you and your buddy had a good time of it. Pity you had to rush home.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I'm so buying another road bike! But I need a new set of sails too. Lots of miles in hot conditions there Ted, but it sounds like you and your buddy had a good time of it. Pity you had to rush home.
    It is just as well. brought home some extra cash i had stored away. will finish fixing up the boat. I just was happy to used something of mine that wasn't a big project.

New sails? are you racing? As for a road bike - I am beginning to understand the idea behind of the cruiser after so many years.

It is just as well. brought home some extra cash i had stored away. will finish fixing up the boat. I just was happy to used something of mine that wasn't a big project.

New sails? are you racing? As for a road bike - I am beginning to understand the idea behind of the cruiser after so many years.
    No not racing. My sails are old, poorly shaped and too small, as a result the boat really doesn't sail all that well.

Got me looking at the Honda ST1100. They are getting old and cheap, (like me) but seem to have a great reputation as a bulletproof blacktop cruiser with good 2 up capability. Pretty much a Japanese equivalent of the BMW R1100RT I used to have. But cheap, seem to be advertised from A$2500 up around here. Not bad for a full on sports tourer I'd say.

Got me looking at the Honda ST1100. They are getting old and cheap, (like me) but seem to have a great reputation as a bulletproof blacktop cruiser with good 2 up capability. Pretty much a Japanese equivalent of the BMW R1100RT I used to have. But cheap, seem to be advertised from A$2500 up around here. Not bad for a full on sports tourer I'd say.
    That seems like a fair price for that model and would make a fine rider. The ST1100 had a good record. The bikes got lost in the retail shuffle as adventure touring took hold, the cruisers tried to capture the rest with the upstarts on sports bikes.

I discovered this past week that my long distance miles per day have been shortened. I am good for around 300 miles or 500 kilometers. Handlebars and saddles now have become more important that style statements. I never cared to look at other choices. Old and cheap seems to be a world wide phenomena for those who have seen a thing or two.

Truthfully speaking - today i am sore from riding. Butt hurts. shoulders and wrists ache a little and i did take advil.

Classic case of helmet hair in this shot!

Looks like a fantastic trip. I'd love to ride out West someday.

280 kg !!! Wow !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    280 kg !!! Wow !
    Yeah I know. But all the reports Ive read say they are surprisingly nimble, a delight to ride, smooth as silk, run forever, need barely any maintenance, and are easy to work on when they do, the only weakness is the alternator on the early ones.....

Just don't put your foot in a grassy hole on your travels, I've done that a few times on my ST. Mine weighs 210 kg and she's a good lift back up. 280 would be way too much, but you're young and strong !

It's also a matter of how far over she goes and that's one place a boxer shines . They stop at about 40 degrees of heel. Not right down flat.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Good thread, nice ride... thanks Ted.

Big Hondas eh?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"