Thread: R/C Sailing

Default R/C Sailing

Does anyone here sail a radio controlled model?

While out fishing this past weekend I ran into two gentlemen sailing their 1 meter boats. I stopped to talk to them for a few minutes and one of them let me pilot his craft around the pond for a few minutes.

I must say I'm intrigued. It would take some time to master it, but I was able to do well right out of the gate. It was just like sailing.

I know the sky is the limit on expenses but I wonder if I could get into this hobby for $300-$500. And how long would this hold my interest?

The gentleman who's boat I sailed directed me to AMYA website (American Model Yacht Association) is anyone here a member?

Best regards,
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Default Re: R/C Sailing

Curtism does, but he is currently banned. Some of his old posts about it may still exist. I hope that he wasn't using Botophucket.

Google "Victor Model Products". I had one of their Soling rc boat kits a long time ago and had a blast putting it together and sailing it.

What's so funny about peace love & understanding?

Thank you, Jimmy. I was going to mention, but disremembered the fellers name. He has that really cool green boat, yeah? Nice dude.
    I got to have a few brief discussions with him about his boat.
    Very neat thing.

Don't the footy class boats run r/c?

Peace,
    Robert

I just checked, Curtis' photos are being held for ransom by Botophucket.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    I just checked, Curtis' photos are being held for ransom by Botophucket.
    dem' evil bastardages!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

I made my own. Still, of course, had to by the electronics. I sailed at the South Orange Seaport at the 'duck pond" in South Orange. Very nice. Models that worked well there did not like Union Lake. I have no idea where my photos are, but my third model was a schooner and I sailed through the obstacle course https://southorangeseaportsociety.org/
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

Kits less than $500.00

RC Model Sailboats (LINK)

T47 Fairharbor RC Schooner: A beautiful 47 inch long two-masted model of the ships of earlier times for adults. Complete with four sails and RC gear to sail your boat from shore, the T47 is a whole new kind of RC sailing. Kit: $479, Finished: $1725.

#include [std-disclaimer]

“What use is a house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on?”

~~~ Henry David Thoreau

I used to sail a Newport 12 Meter, a 6' long R/C model. R/C sailing did not hold my interest as well as R/C flying. I raced nearly every weekend for almost a year; til I realized that the activity was taking time away from other things that I really wanted to do, for example, real sailing.
    Schooner captains love to get blown offshore!

I'm pretty sure that Curtis' boat was a 1 meter Soling. http://www.victor-model.com/products/soling-1-meter

https://www.theamya.org/boats/s1m/

I found making the boat easy. Making good sails was tough. Going to have to look for photos. You all know how it is when you know where something is, only it's not there.
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

Our yacht club, NNYC, has a one design indoor r/c winter racing season. They set up a fan and marks at a local hotel pool. As always, drinks follow.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

I know a few people who sail these and I have a few minutes of experience with them myself. https://www.theamya.org/boats/micromagic/

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    I'm pretty sure that Curtis' boat was a 1 meter Soling. http://www.victor-model.com/products/soling-1-meter

https://www.theamya.org/boats/s1m/

The forum for that site indicates that the Victor Company, the only source for the kit, has had some recent difficulties and that several orders have not been filled or even acknowledged for several months.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

I have a 1/12th scale Morris M36. It was built from the Sparkman and Stephens lines and a lot of measurements from several real boats. Fun boat to sail. It is for sale if anyone wants it.

I built a 6' long 3 masted topsail schooner with a Futaba unit and a MC battery in it when I was about 15-16. Wood sheathed FG hull moulded in sand on the beach. Lost it when it sailed out of range one day. Before that I sailed free sailing pond yachts. I collect them now and still have the first one my grandma had made for me when I was 10.

@Skip
    I built an RC Marblehead yacht in the 1970s. Not sailed it for decades.
    In your price range is the RC Laser http://www.intensitysails.com/rclacoretosa.html
    List of clubs that race them http://rclaser.org/clubs/
    There are some videos on youtube of RC Lasers racing.

Thanks folks!

Great info!
    Skip

I had a friend who was a Renegade Class iceboat sailor (now deceased) who used to build and sail RC iceboats, either with runners for winter, or wheels for parking lots in warm weather. He would stop by and pick up scraps of sailcloth or to borrow my vacuum pump for laminating from time to time. Here he is in winter on one of the local lakes. The reaction time is somewhat shorter on them, but at least they never sink.

I inherited a 50's Nova cutter pond yacht that was so well balanced I would spend hours with the kids at the park lake, all thought it was radio controlled , it will sail determinedly toward a far side, nearly reach the bank and the awaiting children trying to capture it then turn at the last moment and sail off to the other end of the lake.
    "Never get out of the boat." Apocalypse (Then)

I`ve been racing the Mico Magic from Graupner since 2009, it`s only 53cm long and I can fit 3 of them fully rigged in the rear footwell of my Renault Scenic. The Micro Magic is sailed world wide by mostly people with slightly greying hair. There are plenty of "you-pipe" videos in the internet, look out for Nationals and Euro Championships.

Greetings from HOT Germany,

Alan
    GER 335

Better info on this page of the RC Laser suppliers website http://www.intensitysails.com/racolasa.html
    Several years ago I had a brief go with an RC Laser. The UK club were giving a demonstration and hoping to start a club in my area.
    I had meant to pick up one second hand but never got around to it. New ones here are much more expensive compared to USA.
    My Marblehead was similar to Landrith's, it needed no input close hauled as it was based on a vane sailing design, there was a radical design change when RC came in, so my boat was never competitive.
    Off topic, a great grandmother of mine was a Kilpatrick.

Well this thread has motivated me to research a hull I have with no rig or provenance, and here it is….