Thread: Which plywood???

Default Which plywood???

In the next month or so (I hope), I'll be ready to apply the decks and cabin roof to my Wm Garden TomCat. I plan to use plywood covered with dynel/epoxy to simulate painted canvas. I've read John Harris' article in the May/June issue of WB several times, but still can't decide which type to use. Would appreciate some advice. Thanks!

Default Re: Which plywood???

Greg, I'm using Bryunzeel 9mm Occume for the deck of my catboat, doubled, with a dynel/epoxy covering same as you. The outboard edges that lap over the sheer plank will have a solid mahogany strip glued on to cover the end grain. I'll seal the underside and inboard edges with CPES.

Jim

Hopefully I'm not double-posting. How big a factor is weight and cost? Meranti might be a contender as it is more rot-resistant.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

The Bruynzeel brand that Jim mentions is one of the best available -- http://www.bruynzeelmultipanel.com/p.../cid/3?lang=en

You don't mention any budget constraints - but if you're looking for a very solid marine panel for a bit less money, I often use Hydortek and Aquatek -- http://www.edensaw.com/MainSite/Stor...roductList/411

A lot of folks use a panel with occoume. Because of the lack of rot resistance of that species, I tend to stay away from it unless weight or ability to take a tight bend become the overwhelming drivers. Neither probably matters in your application.

Have fun!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I might have considered Meranti, but it wasn't available in 9mm from my supplier. Meranti is a stiffer panel than Occume, which might be an advantage. However, with a catboats strong sheer and heavy deck crown some form of gentle persuasion might be called for, along with a general flouting of conventional wisdom that speaks in knowing tones of "developable" curves.

Thanks for the input guys- Aquatek is available at a local lumber yard, so that's how I'll go. It's available in 6, 9, 12, & 15mm thicknesses, and since there is some curvature involved (especially in the cabin roof), I'm thinking 2 layers - 6mm & 6mm, or 6mm & 9mm? What's your thoughts? Thanks again!

"Bright Star's" coach roof is planked with a single, fore and aft, layer of five eigths in. red cedar tongue and groove car siding (V or bead and V profile). It is covered with canvas set in white lead and painted with oil based house paint. Still going strong since 1960! This tongue and groove product is available from most lumber yards. Compared to plywood, it is rot proof, easy to install and very light in weight.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 07-17-2017 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    "Bright Star's" coach roof is planked with a single, fore and aft, layer of five eigths in. red cedar tongue and groove car siding (bead and V profile). It is covered with canvas set in white lead and painted with oil based house paint. Still going strong since 1960! This tongue and groove product is available from most lumber yards. Compared to plywood, it is rot proof, easy to install and very light in weight.
    Jay
    Not to mention quite likely much less expensive. And below, you'll have a very nice looking tongue and groove overhead rather than a flat expanse that screams, "plywood!"

It is an easy thing to paint the bottoms of the planks prior to installation. Saves a lot of cutting in later. Yes the T&G is much cheaper than plywood and looks a whole lot better! No torturous bending involved either!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 07-17-2017 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GregH View Post
    Thanks for the input guys- Aquatek is available at a local lumber yard, so that's how I'll go. It's available in 6, 9, 12, & 15mm thicknesses, and since there is some curvature involved (especially in the cabin roof), I'm thinking 2 layers - 6mm & 6mm, or 6mm & 9mm? What's your thoughts? Thanks again!
    We often confuse Aquatek with Hydrotek. Be aware of the differences. Someone may post a better source but here is Edensaw's line card that explains briefly some differences..
    http://www.edensaw.com/MainSite/Stor...d_linecard.pdf

I found 6mm Hydrotek fairly easy to bend but the 9mm Hydrotek was surprisingly stiffer. I had to cut kerfs every 3 or 4 inches in the unseen side of the 9mm to get it to safely bend to a 6-foot radius...

I filled the kerfs with thickened epoxy after setting them in the bend...

I had a Nordic Folkboat with plywood decks and a t&g coachroof, both canvas covered. The only place it leaked was in the coachroof. I would never choose to go canvas with t&g on a new build. for a boat of my own.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by GregH View Post
    If going with 2 layers , I would put the thicker one first(3/8ths) , then a thinner one(1/4).
    This way, you could bang in half inch anchorfast nails willy nilly with out piercing .