Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Double planking

Default Re: Double planking

I have experience with Line X, it wouldn't get my tick on restoring carvel boats because I don't think it can be removed, but yeah I can try different formula on different wood first.

I know we have gone far off topic to double planking, I am just looking for ways to restore/waterproof/sheath a carvel boat reliably without the use of irreversible epoxy and fiberglass, and thought if an additional layer of planking with faster her overlapping the seams possible as in the traditional double planking, but this is the easiest and most repairable method I seen so far.
    It is understandable that many are skeptical of using materials that aren't "marine", after what work for them over the years, there is some compromise in every method, and chaulking isn't for everyone/every conditions.

There is a method to replank in double planking using the original material. Take each plank of, saw it in two on the bandsaw and you end up with two planks of half the thickness. Then you make a filler plank, half the width of the garboard and begin planking with it. This raises the plank seams on the first layer so when you install the second layer in the original position they land in the middle of the outside plank. You can use canvas in paint in between as was done on diagonal double planking in the past, or use nothing.
    It's a lot of work and it basicly means replanking the vessel twice. A lot of screws will be used.

Stri[p plamk the hull using the original wide planking, slice then into thirds.
    I don't like this idea of splitting the old planking in half, planks are not flat after being on a boat hull. they will be warped every which way.
    My boat is in a sense strip planked, by all the edge gluing I did, using all the original planks as they were already cut and fit to the hull. I had numbered them all.

It is quite impossible to saw the planks uniformly in half since the planks aren't straight after removal, not to mention the hard work of removing all the planks.
    If I were to remove the planks, it would just make better sense to rebuild the hull cold molded, strip plank or any other modern method. But if the hull is already carvel build and not require an entire plank replacement, I would opt for an option that is reversible, hence thinking of double plank with additional fastener, but PL and seam filler seemed like the easier option here now.

How about this, if some planks needed to be replace, can it be cold molded or strip plank over the planks? And over time have the planks gradually replaced by strip plank or cold molded, or the results will be uneven?

It is possible to saw the planks after removal. But it is not an easy job to do it right.
    If you want to stay "reversible" the only good option I know of is a propper carveel repair. I don't really get the problem, if the planks are good no repair is needed, if there is rot the rotten parts will need replacement regardless of what planking system you convert the boat to.