Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just cut a tendon on my thumb

Default Just cut a tendon on my thumb

Silly manoeuvre with knife while shaping a wedge. Knife slipped and I cut the extensior tendon (or so I believe it is called, it's the tendon that raises the outermost limb of the tumb) clean off. Knife was well sharpened and carried a fair amount of energy, so it didn't stop before it hit bone.

Anyways, a visit to the ER cost me a whooping US$ 50. They gave me a referral to the hospital, due to the weekend and vacation time I am waiting to get an appointment early next week to sew my tendon back in place. Anything that happens at the hospital will cost me exactly zero US$. If the doctor decides I need a sick leave that will be fully paid. If my sick leave interferes with any of my five weeks of planned paid vacation, those lost vacation days will be reimbursed.

Just sayin'...
    Last edited by Oyvind Snibsoer; 07-16-2017 at 07:43 PM.
    Bundin er bátleysur maður

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Default Re: Just cut a tendon on my thumb

I hope it heals well. It's too bad that this country can't afford coverage like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    I hope it heals well. It's too bad that this country can't afford coverage like that.
    Oh we can afford it all right, we are just mean.

Edit to add; Damn that's going to hurt!
    I hope it all heals up well.

Gave me chills just reading about it. Best wishes for full recovery.

When's your birthday?

Stainless Steel Mesh Gloves (LINK)

#include [std-disclaimer]
    Last edited by sharpiefan; 07-17-2017 at 07:38 AM. Reason: original glove site went down

“What use is a house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on?”

~~~ Henry David Thoreau

.... It's too bad that this country can't afford coverage like that.
    That is complete nonsense. Every other civilized country on this planet--and a great number of the uncivilized ones as well--provides that sort of care for their citizens. The US Healthcare costs more than twice as much as any other developed country, and yet US citizens have worse health and a lower life expectancy. Go figure.

My friend just broke his clavicle and needed surgery.

He was out of work for 6 weeks, unpaid, but received a portion of his salary through disability.

The bill so far is only 6 thousand dollars. Yes 6,000 dollars. Yes. 60, 100 dollar bills. His bill. For his portion. So far.
    Just sayin...

I'm hopeful for a full recovery for you.

Peace,
    Robert

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    That is complete nonsense. Every other civilized country on this planet--and a great number of the uncivilized ones as well--provides that sort of care for their citizens. The US Healthcare costs more than twice as much as any other developed country, and yet US citizens have worse health and a lower life expectancy. Go figure.
    One of our Trump worshipers said that just the other day. Shirley they can't be wrong.

What, no pics?

All the way through might be better than sliced along the length, like mine.

I didn't get all my range of motion back. I can't straighten the tip all the way. It's about fifteen degrees short, and I can't flex it all the way, either. Apparently my slice healed up inside and the tendon 'healed,' the surgery was good, but the tendon adhered to the surrounding tissue as it healed and was immobile for six weeks, and that keeps the tendon from sliding as it should for proper movement. I'm getting used to it, but it is a little weird. I had no nerve damage, but it seems like it; it just won't go where it's supposed to. Left thumb. If it never gets any better it's fine. I can still do stuff. They offered to go back in and rework it with another surgery, but I decided if I were a concert violinist I'd go for it.

Heal quick and feel better, soon. Enjoy the pain meds. And 'don't lift anything heavier than a coffee cup for six weeks' means nothing heavier than a coffee cup, and it means the whole six weeks.

I ain't really complaining, and cast no aspersions on any of the pros who put my hand back together and tried to make it work right again, but I hope your outcome is somewhat better.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyvind Snibsoer View Post
    .... Knife slipped and I cut the extensior tendon (or so I believe it is called, it's the tendon that raises the outermost limb of the tumb) clean off...
    That's like on the 'wrong' (outside) side of your hand/wrist - how'd it happen?

...It's too bad that this country can't afford coverage like that.
    You can, y'all just choose not to.

One of our Trump worshipers said that just the other day. Shirley they can't be wrong.
    If 'twas just one you'd be fine, but it's `60% of your voting population...

Hope your recovery goes well.
    I had the reminder to take more care the other day, but I was more lucky and only need to regrow a bit of skin.

Mike

Oyvind, here's hoping for a good outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    What, no pics?

All the way through might be better than sliced along the length, like mine.

I didn't get all my range of motion back. I can't straighten the tip all the way. It's about fifteen degrees short, and I can't flex it all the way, either. Apparently my slice healed up inside and the tendon 'healed,' the surgery was good, but the tendon adhered to the surrounding tissue as it healed and was immobile for six weeks, and that keeps the tendon from sliding as it should for proper movement. I'm getting used to it, but it is a little weird. I had no nerve damage, but it seems like it; it just won't go where it's supposed to. Left thumb. If it never gets any better it's fine. I can still do stuff. They offered to go back in and rework it with another surgery, but I decided if I were a concert violinist I'd go for it.

Heal quick and feel better, soon. Enjoy the pain meds. And 'don't lift anything heavier than a coffee cup for six weeks' means nothing heavier than a coffee cup, and it means the whole six weeks.

I ain't really complaining, and cast no aspersions on any of the pros who put my hand back together and tried to make it work right again, but I hope your outcome is somewhat better.
    Jim, try physio, they might be able to break up the scar tissue. I wrenched my thumb when I was knocked off my bike. Our works physio diagnosed scar tissue and broke it up with massage. May work for you, worth a try.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by B_B View Post
    That's like on the 'wrong' (outside) side of your hand/wrist - how'd it happen?
    Handsaw carpenters used to get those cuts from the saw jumping sideways when starting a cut using the thumb as a steady.

I had two(middle and ring fingers) extensor tendons repaired in 1998.
    the ROM and strength are great and the dexterity is about 90%.

As far as industrial injuries go, it wasn't bad.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Thanks Nick. I had weekly visits with physio. They gave me some training and things to help with that. It might still come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    Thanks Nick. I had weekly visits with physio. They gave me some training and things to help with that. It might still come back.
    OK, keep working on it till it hurts, they don't call physios sadists for nothing.

It only takes an instant, and it can happen to anyone. Best of luck. Hope it's repaired and everything works properly.
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

Ouch! So glad you can get the attention you need.

Most workings americans who would get that kind of injury would be hard pressed to get a reasonable recovery without going bust. That would set back most into huge debt and highly likely loss of their job as well.
    There is nothing you can do with an ape/human hybrid. They'll rip your arm off.

Oyvind - thanks for the real-world personal example. I hate to hear such stories. Heal well. Heal quickly.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Look after yourself. No comment on the politics.

Get the tendon fixed ASAP. Time matters and the sooner the better. I had one fixed and all was well.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    OK, keep working on it till it hurts, they don't call physios sadists for nothing.
    In rehab, a friend called them his "Physical Terrorists".

Best wishes for a good recovery Oyvind.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

With age, comes wisdom -

but sometimes, age comes all alone.

I expect most here can relate to that - and that glimmer of 'insight' when we recognize we might not be following 'best/safe practices', say, with a power tool. When I was younger, I might have just 'powered through', with expected blowback. Now, when I hear that lil' voice saying 'you fool!', I listen.

Good judgement (tends to) comes with experience.

Experience (tends to) come from bad judgement. And yeah - get that fixed, and do the PT. Critical.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

That's such an awful feeling, when you look at it and realise how much damage has been done.

I feel for you, and hope for a steady and full recovery.

Courage!
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Hoping the recovery is swift and as painless as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    With age, comes wisdom -

but sometimes, age comes all alone.

I expect most here can relate to that - and that glimmer of 'insight' when we recognize we might not be following 'best/safe practices', say, with a power tool. When I was younger, I might have just 'powered through', with expected blowback. Now, when I hear that lil' voice saying 'you fool!', I listen.

Good judgement (tends to) comes with experience.

Experience (tends to) come from bad judgement. And yeah - get that fixed, and do the PT. Critical.
    Not if you're any indication.

Quote Originally Posted by KMacDonald View Post
    Never pass up an opportunity.
    BASIC FORUM ETIQUETTE: PLAY NICE
    Reminder... by signing up to post on the WoodenBoat Forum, you've agreed to make nice, and to comply with pages and pages of rules the lawyers wrote. It all comes down to:
    ...Don't be rude.

My right thumb had a run in with a dado blade several years ago. I was fortunate to have a great hand surgeon put things back together and even he was surprised at the complete recovery. I was in cast and couldn't fly for 2 months.

Adjusted for inflation, using only the overall CPI rather than the significantly higher health care inflation rate, that $1,300 comes to $12,200 in today's dollars. Healthcare has never been cheap in this country.

Get it treated as quickly as you can. Hope you heal quickly and well, Oyvind.
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Thanks for the reminder to be grateful for living in a civilised society. We too have good, mostly free, health care. I'd be dead without it.

I was working on my house. It was getting late and I was tired, thinking of wrpping up but anxious to finish what I was doing.
    What happened was really quite silly, I put my left hand in a position where it should absolutely not have been when using a knife.
    Lesson learned, as so many times before, quit before you get so tired that you start making expendive mistakes...

Anyways, I had surgery this morning, my tendon has been rejoined and I'm looking forward to having my hand in a cast for the next five weeks. Vacation plans may need to be reworked a little. Kitesurfing is definitely out, trout fishing is hopefully doable and I will probably take a much more passive role than usual in the sailing part of our vacation.
    Bundin er bátleysur maður

Never pass up an opportunity.

You mean like this:
    I can't quite make it out Is that grey stuff round the back of your head tinfoil?

^ Well there was a difference but you don't do subtle, so I guess it went straight over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by KMacDonald View Post
    You do Know George is a Physician, and you just made a complete asshat of yourself.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    you just made a complete asshat of yourself.
    Mebby that's why he comes here. I can't think of any other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    You do Know George is a Physician, and you just made a complete asshat of yourself.
    Well, the last time I checked our healthcare system was in shambles and the quality of care pitiful. You do the math.