Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E-Bike, I Like!

Default Re: E-Bike, I Like!

First question is: What do you want to do with it? Transport stuff? Or go mountain biking? Or commute? There are horses for courses ...

Quote Originally Posted by Henning 4148 View Post
    First question is: What do you want to do with it? Transport stuff? Or go mountain biking? Or commute? There are horses for courses ...
    For me it would be for riding groceries home uphills at unloaded speeds. Look like a utility bike, act like a utility bike but keep my motor from blowing up on hot days.

Looks like a marketing-based design, calculated to appeal to steampunk fans, urban coolbats, and weekend mountain bikers. Way too much metal in the frame and the headlamp is silly.

I wonder if the battery and power-train might be adapted to a lighter frame. That'd be a screamer.

(But jesus look down on you, if you crashed at 40 mph.)
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

I don't get why everybody's hating the fact that this bike is 'styled'

It's a cargo bike, so welded, integral carriers are part of the deal - way sturdier and more reliable than any temporary, bolt-on solution.

The big tyres are there so that it can carry the weight of itself, a rider and a week's groceries without having to pump the them up to 120psi, so you get a modicum of street comfort without the complexity of suspension.

And the big front light - seems like a good idea, so long as it LED and gives off a decent glow. So it's not aero, but neither is the rest of the bike.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Cargo bike for sand or gravel or pothole roads? Why not. For that, the big tires make sense, especially when after some rain the road is soft.

For a cargo bike, I'd consider chain guards (protection of the chains from dirt and protection of your trousers and fingers from the chains) and perhaps better (wider and longer) mudguards. Not as stylish, but for a working bike, it might make a lot of sense. Chain guards protecting the chain from all sides will (from my experience) more than double chain life. They are a bit more work when oiling the chain or when repairing a tire.

The gas version
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    For me it would be for riding groceries home uphills at unloaded speeds. Look like a utility bike, act like a utility bike but keep my motor from blowing up on hot days.
    I like the bottom bracket e-bikes like the one's from Giant. I saw the GCN e-bike video. I am sure someone has used that drive for almost all purposes.

You can even hack the speed control to get assist up to 50mph.
    Life is complex.

For me an ebike would be for if I grow another brain tumour and need another craniotomy. I wouldn't be allowed to drive or ride a motor vehicle for 6 months and a I'm 18 miles or 27 km from town an ebike would be transport, ride in, recharge at a coffee shop, ride home. I hope I don't need it.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

For those preferring a somewhat more conventional looking e-bike, here's one from Canada:

http://www.voltbike.ca/

F&R Suspension, 750 watt $1800 US:

Front suspension, fatter tires $1450 US:

They have a folding 500 watt bike too.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

And here's an $850 bike:

https://chargdelectricbikes.com/products/

$650 US:

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I wouldn't touch one with a hub motor these days. The motors have to be big and heavy to deliver the required torque across the speed range, the resulting bike balance is awful, and the motors get hot and don't last so long when pushed hard uphill.

The best setups use mid-mount drives that allow the motor to run through the same gearing as the rider's leg power. Early versions weren't so great and needed a lot of cabling, but torque-sensing ones are fantastic. Bosch seem to own the market on European markets, while the Shimano Steps system is popular on bikes I see imported to NZ. Yamaha also have a similar system, and there are DIY conversion kits that are torque-controlled too, like the Techbikes TBDZ2.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Main use would be running around to the various grocery stores, which is all right around 10km round trip. I'd like to load up the camera bag and tripod, also sticking pretty close to home, 10 or 20km out and back.
    Nosce te ipsum

Then the bike in your OP would seem ideal. You've got to be excited by it to make it worth shelling out your hard earned dollars, and to encourage you to use it. If you want phat-tyred-steampunk-inspired-badassness, you go for it!