Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Land-locked Yorkshire Guillemot

Quote Originally Posted by KenStocker View Post
    Nice rudder! Pardon the ignorance, but if you glass it, will it appear to look as if finished bright? I have obviously absolutely no experience with glass.
    I agree with gypsie, it begs for that look!

Well chaps, there's the beauty of a selectively framed photo... my planing skills are, shall we say, still developing, and I ended up taking a fraction too much wood away when I was squaring things up after joining the strips together. Only something like 1/16" under but, being the cautious type, I glassed it to make sure it wasn't going to snap off on me. So the wood is currently hiding under several coats of primer... 😔
    But I know what it looks like underneath, of course...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In the meantime, I've glued up the outer stem:

Another miserably sticky, messy and drawn-out process! My wife asked, mid-mess, if there was much more laminating to do, as it didn't appear that I was enjoying myself! I suppose it's like bashing your head against a wall - it's nice when you stop...

It might be a messy business, but I now have an apron and outer stem that match pretty much perfectly. No daylight visible between them... 😁

Stem:

Apron sitting on stem:

Next up is to finish the apron and get it mounted on the building frame...

(Notice the blue sky - seems like it's the first summery day we've had since about June...)

A few jobs today and trips out with the family, but managed to sneak some time to start to bevel the keelson and steam the aft end to pull it down to the transom.

Also planed the apron to width, cut the scarf for the keelson-apron joint and thought about bevelling the plank lands on the apron. But then thought better of it, as I can't work out what to cut, so think it's better left til there are planks to guide me...

I cut the apron by hand, figuring that if I went wrong, it'd be easier to spot and stop than if I used a power saw. It was a bit rough but then I planed it flat afterwards.

Default Re: Land-locked Yorkshire Guillemot

[QUOTE=Racundra;5327828]A few jobs today and trips out with the family, but managed to sneak some time to start to bevel the keelson and steam the aft end to pull it down to the transom.

Also planed the apron to width, cut the scarf for the keelson-apron joint and thought about bevelling the plank lands on the apron. But then thought better of it, as I can't work out what to cut, so think it's better left til there are planks to guide me...

I cut the apron by hand, figuring that if I went wrong, it'd be easier to spot and stop than if I used a power saw. It was a bit rough but then I planed it flat afterwards.

I like your steaming in place idea, how did it work, and did you just ratchet it down a little each day?

[QUOTE=KenStocker;5327962]
    Quote Originally Posted by Racundra View Post
    A few jobs today and trips out with the family, but managed to sneak some time to start to bevel the keelson and steam the aft end to pull it down to the transom.

I like your steaming in place idea, how did it work, and did you just ratchet it down a little each day?

Hi Ken

I'd started to plane the bevel on the keelson, so there wasn't much wood that needed bending. I'd seen Louis Sauzedde steaming a gunwale (I think) like that, so thought I'd give it a go. I must have only had something like 20 minutes or so of steaming, with me adding a turn on the Spanish windlass Avery few minutes. It sat down nicely with no creaks or groans...

So work has reared it’s ugly head and pretty much put a stop to boat building for a while. I’m a teacher, and managed to sneak into the woodwork technician’s room and turn a 13’ rough piece of iroko into some nice 7/8” boards...

Which I then turned into some nice floor timbers:

Being able to trace profiles and fair them now was a good idea (I hope!)...

Then it was time to dry fit the garboards. I probably dry-fitted about ten times! I wasn’t sure exactly how much force to use to twist and pull and persuade and cajole them into place, but knew it needed to be pretty close or trouble would accumulate!

So I’m now at the stage of having the garboards glued on and I’m waiting for some time away from schoolwork to be able to go for plank two. Or I might fit the keel and skeg now while I can clamp it easily...

It looks distinctly more boat-like though!

I like your idea of keeping the wedges from wandering off...("dropping them" sounds clumsy.)
    Nice progress!
    Ken

I like your idea of keeping the wedges from wandering off...("dropping them" sounds clumsy.)
    Nice progress!
    Ken

Thanks Ken! A rare moment of inspiration... Of course I haven't used them with epoxy all over the place yet. I may end up with a boat covered in wedges dangling from bits of string...

Last edited by Racundra; 11-15-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Assuming you made the clamps yourself, could you share dimensions? And how many did you need per side? I have a bit of time and scrap ply I'd like to take advantage of.

Looks good Racundra! You're bringing back good memories of my Whilly Boat build.

Ken, I found that, like regular clamps, you can never have too many of the "clothespin" clamps either.
    On some planks I probably had twenty or so (on one side.)

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Assuming you made the clamps yourself, could you share dimensions? And how many did you need per side? I have a bit of time and scrap ply I'd like to take advantage of.
    The clamps are 3/4" thick ply. 12" long x 4" wide, with an 8" long slot, 3/4" wide. The 8" dimension is enough for any of the strakes, but if I'm going to use the clamps to hold on a rubbing strake, I think I may need to open out the 3/4" slot to something like 1 1/2" for it to fit...

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon1 View Post
    Looks good Racundra! You're bringing back good memories of my Whilly Boat build.

Ken, I found that, like regular clamps, you can never have too many of the "clothespin" clamps either.
    On some planks I probably had twenty or so (on one side.)

Mike
    Thanks Mike! It's sooo frustrating having to focus on paid work instead of unpaid boat building... I found myself talking to 'her' the other day, to make sure she realises I haven't forgotten about the build! (My kids keep asking when we'll be able to go sailing... For them, Christmas is unbearably distant, so the promise of a boat sometime in the next year or so is wholly unreasonable!)

Quote Originally Posted by Racundra View Post
    The clamps are 3/4" thick ply. 12" long x 4" wide, with an 8" long slot, 3/4" wide. The 8" dimension is enough for any of the strakes, but if I'm going to use the clamps to hold on a rubbing strake, I think I may need to open out the 3/4" slot to something like 1 1/2" for it to fit...
    Thanks for the info. I've been saving scrap 3/4" ply for awhile so that I could make these. No time like the present!