Thread: How long can you anchor?

Default How long can you anchor?

Any of you Washington state boaters know how long you are allowed to anchor in Washington waters?? State put a notice on my boat to move it.

Default Re: How long can you anchor?

I don't know about Washington, or even Maine, but the City Of Portland lets you anchor for two weeks only.

Google fu: first hit on 'time limit anchoring washington'
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=332-52-155

It looks like 30 days. Then you have to move 5 miles away. It doesn't say how long you have to stay 5 miles away before coming back to work on your total of 90.

WAC 332-52-155

Anchorage.

(1) What is the length of time that a vessel may be moored or anchored on state-owned aquatic lands? Persons shall not moor or anchor a vessel in the same area on state-owned aquatic lands for periods longer than thirty consecutive days or for more than a total of ninety days in any three hundred sixty-five day period. For purposes of WAC 332-52-155, "in the same area" means within a radius of five miles of any location where the vessel was previously moored or anchored.

(2) Are there places where the time limit does not apply? Subsection (1) of this section does not apply where the federal government, a county, a city, a state agency, including DNR, a port, or any other public entity with authority has posted, enacted, or adopted different anchorage or moorage restrictions. Persons shall observe restrictions specific to the locality. Additionally, persons may exceed this time limit if:

(a) Granted express consent by either DNR or the lessee of the state-owned aquatic lands where the vessel is moored or anchored; and
    (b) Anchorage or moorage does not violate any other law or rule.
    (3) Any violation of this section is an infraction under chapter 7.84 RCW.
    [Statutory Authority: Chapter 43.30 RCW and RCW 43.12.065. WSR 09-05-034, 332-52-155, filed 2/11/09, effective 3/14/09.]
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Some mish mash of 90 days , with moving included.
    I got "pink slipped " last year upon return to Gig Harbor from my 10 day trip to PTWBF.
    In the process now of obtaining a legal mooring, it's gonna cost about $6000 and take at least a year.
    Rich pricks on the waterfront combined with boat bum tweakers caused this . The tweakers are gone for the most part, but the pricks stay . (One anesthesiologist living in a 6000 sq ft house in particular). They do not hesitate to drop a dime.
    See? I am turning into Bob Cleek!!! (respect to Bob , that is a good thing).
    Haven't even launched Wonderland this year, so disgusted with our genteel new order.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Some mish mash of 90 days , with moving included.
    I got "pink slipped " last year upon return to Gig Harbor from my 10 day trip to PTWBF.
    In the process now of obtaining a legal mooring, it's gonna cost about $6000 and take at least a year.
    Rich pricks on the waterfront combined with boat bum tweakers caused this . The tweakers are gone for the most part, but the pricks stay . (One anesthesiologist living in a 6000 sq ft house in particular). They do not hesitate to drop a dime.
    See? I am turning into Bob Cleek!!! (respect to Bob , that is a good thing).
    Haven't even launched Wonderland this year, so disgusted with our genteel new order.
    Ya think it would help if I told them I'm a 2nd amendment enthusiast? Just kidding...
    It's not like I'm squatting. Just want the boat in the water 2-3 months.

Trying for a permit is a non starter. local port marinas are helping them. I understand the problems but this is ridiculous.

Same for me Paul . I want 4 , maybe 5 months a year.
    The local cops know me , in a good way. They are sympathetic.
    My tormentor even admits my boat is good looking and well maintained.
    I got guns, but do not recon to out shoot anyone .
    Ya see the guy shot the other day in Bainbridge? really helped the cause
    so, keep trying to fall through the cracks? I have played that game my whole life...
    bruce

$6000 for a mooring? That's crazy. My mooring permit is $73 a year. If I wasn't a Portland resident it'd be double that. I bought a used mooring for $600 ten years ago and have replaced some of the chain and the pennant since.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    $6000 for a mooring? That's crazy. My mooring permit is $73 a year. If I wasn't a Portland resident it'd be double that. I bought a used mooring for $600 ten years ago and have replaced some of the chain and the pennant since.
    Won't let ya do that here...I got all the info on getting a permit...no way!

These are public lands/ tidal waters, they don't want you anchoring...period!

Let you get away for up to 90 days...than they can bill you at Marina rates.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    Won't let ya do that here...I got all the info on getting a permit...no way!

These are public lands/ tidal waters, they don't want you anchoring...period!

Let you get away for up to 90 days...than they can bill you at Marina rates.
    90 days eh. You just need a couple of different boats and rotate through the season.

Quote Originally Posted by sailnstink View Post
    90 days eh. You just need a couple of different boats and rotate through the season.
    I have a free veteran pass at state parks...3 days there..30 days at mooring.

But this is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Only a small bit of that is for the actual "rent" to the state . $3000 just for an environmental impact study that the city requires. I believe they do not give a crap, but just want to discourage moorings. There is at present ONE legal mooring in Gig Harbor. I am hiring out the paperwork and actual installation, a simple screw.
    The paperwork is over the top ridiculous. The whole stinking thing is ridiculous.
    There is no guarantee I will be approved, I may be out a few grand by next year.
    If I DO get a legal mooring , I plan to get a big plastic poo and dangle it on lightweight monofilament over to the neibs front yard, very close to washing up to his bulkhead. Then reel it in a bit when he goes to photograph it for the cops. That will be priceless.

Here the State has no say in the mooring situation. Strictly a local proposition.

Puget sound is not really set up for mooring. Or public beach access for that matter. Its all rich waterfront people and big money marinas. There are a few cost effective marinas, but I called Kingston the other day- 15 year wait list. Mooring can be done, but you have to prove you have shoreside access which basically kills it, unless you are in front of a town with a public dock, but then you have the problem Bruce is having with additional regulations.

Its almost enough to move across the border to BC. Much more reasonable mooring rules there I'm told. And many times more sheltered coves and miles of wilderness shoreline.

Some boat brokers I know have been ethical enough to suggest to buyers that they check into whether they can get moorings where they intend to keep their boats. There are often LONG waiting lists (for moorings AND marina space) or the difficulties mentioned above. I think such considerations may be one reason trailerable boats and kayaks have become increasingly popular. Not a bad thing in the great scheme.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so."

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Puget sound is not really set up for mooring. Or public beach access for that matter. Its all rich waterfront people and big money marinas. There are a few cost effective marinas, but I called Kingston the other day- 15 year wait list. Mooring can be done, but you have to prove you have shoreside access which basically kills it, unless you are in front of a town with a public dock, but then you have the problem Bruce is having with additional regulations.

Its almost enough to move across the border to BC. Much more reasonable mooring rules there I'm told. And many times more sheltered coves and miles of wilderness shoreline.

I recently assisted a neighbor in filling out and filing the necessary paperwork for a recreational mooring. This was not an easy task. The regulations are complex. Moorings are covered under a general category of shoreside development, so they are immediately lumped in with the sorts of things that can easily wreck havoc with the environment, communities, people in general. What is a real shame is that the government workers we dealt with all recognize the disparity.

Some things that I have learned: 1) Anyone can secure a mooring permit. They are not reserved for owners of waterfront property. My neighbor does not have waterfront property and, although she does happen to have legal access to the beach, it was not a requirement. Besides community owned beaches, waterfront access is available at every 'road end' in the state. 2) While an applicant must show that there will be no environmental impact by the new mooring, most of the research has already been done by others. And, it is all online or available from the local jurisdiction. In particular, eel grass is especially protected. But, in our area, the city has issued a blanket statement that eel grass isn't present. This statement is taken at face value by all the other agencies involved. I think that as long as "somebody" has taken responsibility for a decision, all others can ignore it. One has to assume that the people in these offices have better things to do then harass a recreational boat owner. 3) Don't even contemplate trying to drop a concrete block as your anchor. This triggers a lot of red flags. All the agencies want to see a helical anchor put in because they have the least impact on the seabed. Her diver, certified by the state, charged a little over $2K for the anchor, and associated hardware.

So it's possible to have a mooring, but it is difficult. I would have it otherwise. To my eye, the waterfront near me is way underdeveloped. I'd like to see many more boats moored. Shoreside access is difficult, but not impossible. And, truth be told, I think the whole private ownership of waterfront is nuts. I'd like to see it all revert to the state so that everyone has access everyplace.

Jeff

I've done sea floor mapping all throughout Puget Sound and the Straits of Juan De Fuca, I've also collected benthic samples from all through this area.

They claim damage to the bottom. Yet they shamelessly dump "artificial reef junk" at Edmonds for divers.

A properly done mooring, railroad wheel/ concrete block, actually offers substrata to benthic organisms as long as the ground tackle is floated off the bottom.

I guess I'll just take my chances.

Paulf, I'm sure that you are correct. Whenever I pull up my mooring tackle to maintain the top hardware, there are a zillion tiny shrimps and other life hanging on. Where would they call home if my tackle wasn't there?

Try convincing the agencies in charge.

Jeff

Some will recall the Eagle Harbor moorage squabble of several years ago. Rich people were annoyed at having to look at hippies living for free and enjoying the same view as them.

A guy on Orcas said that one had to be a landowner there to be entitled to a mooring. There seems to be a huge amount of variation; it has become more restrictive as land values rose. Believe it or not one used to be able to get free moorage on Lake Union.

Reminds me of the question, "The difference between a developer and an environmentalist?"

A developer wants a house on the beach and the environmentalist already has one......

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    Reminds me of the question, "The difference between a developer and an environmentalist?"

A developer wants a house on the beach and the environmentalist already has one......
    I live in a relatively new development that backs up to a loooonnngggg standing sand and gravel quarry behind the development. That quarry is now on the market. It is amazing to watch the behavior from neighbors who have suddenly become environmentalists.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by pcford View Post
    Some will recall the Eagle Harbor moorage squabble of several years ago. Rich people were annoyed at having to look at hippies living for free and enjoying the same view as them.

A guy on Orcas said that one had to be a landowner there to be entitled to a mooring. There seems to be a huge amount of variation; it has become more restrictive as land values rose. Believe it or not one used to be able to get free moorage on Lake Union.
    This reminds me of why I like it here. I just put out a mooring for my sailboat that is in sight of my house. Permits required - zero, fees required - none, permission required - just my wife's. Scoped out the spot and dropped a marker. Loaded the mooring onto a floating dock last Saturday and dumped it off. two tractor trailer differentials and a 350 chev engine block chained together about 20' apart with about 30' of chain leading up to the 3/4" nylon pennant.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McMahon View Post
    This reminds me of why I like it here. I just put out a mooring for my sailboat that is in sight of my house. Permits required - zero, fees required - none, permission required - just my wife's. Scoped out the spot and dropped a marker. Loaded the mooring onto a floating dock last Saturday and dumped it off. two tractor trailer differentials and a 350 chev engine block chained together about 20' apart with about 30' of chain leading up to the 3/4" nylon pennant.
    I'm jealous of everything except the part where you can walk out to the mooring in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    I'm jealous of everything except the part where you can walk out to the mooring in the winter.
    Lol. If I wanted to go to my mooring location in the winter I would probably take a snowmobile, walking would be too much work.

Around here its two weeks at anchor and then you have to, " move." How far to move depends largely on how well you establish a relationship with the Bay Constables.

There are plenty of wealthy folk here who complain, but the town is pretty good at preserving local's access to water and beach--in fact, if you own property in the town, the law states that such, " freeholders," have a right to be anywhere below the mean high water mark at any time. They can't, and don't, chase you for just being there.

Moorings can be had; some popular creeks and coves are waitlisted, but others are open today.

I think a standard anchor requirement is a good thing. No offense to Steve or others, but an anchor of a known holding power, set properly, and properly maintained is what I want of my neighbors. I don't want your boat drifting down on my boat or banging on my bulkhead.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post

I think a standard anchor requirement is a good thing. No offense to Steve or others, but an anchor of a known holding power, set properly, and properly maintained is what I want of my neighbors. I don't want your boat drifting down on my boat or banging on my bulkhead.

Kevin
    No offense taken. I've taken a proven mooring design for the bottom here, and added another unit to it for an additional safety factor. I also doubled the recommended chain size and upped the pennant size.

Oh, I also have no neighboring boats - mine is the only sailboat, and only mooring in the harbour. Our demographics are a bit different than New York.

Oh, I also have no neighboring boats - mine is the only sailboat, and only mooring in the harbour. Our demographics are a bit different than New York.
    Do, tell!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McMahon View Post
    I am curious how you manage the mooring with ice around. Does the ice shift? Is that a problem for the mooring? Do you keep your boat on the mooring in winter? How many months of the year is the water frozen?
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    I am curious how you manage the mooring with ice around. Does the ice shift? Is that a problem for the mooring? Do you keep your boat on the mooring in winter? How many months of the year is the water frozen?
    The Harbour usually freezes over in late December, with break up in April or May. In the winter I take off the rope pennant, and tie a small buoy to the chain with a short rope. The weight of the chain will pull the buoy under water. In the spring I hook the small buoy with a grapple and put the pennant and large mooring buoy back on. Leaving the boat in the water in the ice is not an option. Not only does the harbour freeze, but we get pack ice pushing in the harbour as well.