Thread: Fao plan questions

Default Fao plan questions

I've looked at these plans for a long time now. I am pretty convinced I would like to build the 20 ft version. My question is would it be possible to add a small light weight cabin similar to what is on Ninigret. I live up in Howe Sound BC and some rain shelter would be a definite plus. I know I could just build Ninigret or Nina but I am looking for a work boat type of craft built with MDO encapsulated with epoxy and it seems a shame to build one of these and not spend a fortune on marine plywood and do it right so to speak. And yes I know that the Fao is a full displacement boat and the others are semi displacement and are different animals I mention them as an example of the kind of deck and cabin concept I envision. I would by the way love to build Nina or Ninigret one day but right now I need a bang around work boat that is efficient fuel wise and sea worthy because it really blows up and rains a lot in my neck of the woods. Any way I'm looking for opinions about adding the cabin or options if it can't be done.

Default Re: Fao plan questions

I dont see why not, thought of doing the same. A folding canvas bimini might be an option too, but i see no reason, if you are not going to stand or sit on it, that a structure from 4-6mm ply lightly framed would not work. Keep it as low as possible. Not the most load friendly boat, only reason i looked elsewhere for alternatives.

I wondered about that. One would think that a fishing boat would be designed with lots of reserve buoyancy. What happens if you catch 500 kilos of fish one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilgeewarrior View Post
    I wondered about that. One would think that a fishing boat would be designed with lots of reserve buoyancy. What happens if you catch 500 kilos of fish one day.
    From the reccomended loading, either throw back 100kg, or get a crew member to swim home. I think the boats were more designed as a day boat and sustainable fishing, what they dont catch today, they can catch tomorrow, baring in mind that some locations might not have chilled storage for fish that might not be consumed the same day; thats my take on it. Its not an excessivly large boat and easily driven with low power was a priority, a great design in that it does what it suppose to, the real danger is trying to turn it into something it isnt, but i do not think a wee shelter/cabin would do any harm to the overall package.
    F

You know, some of us that read these posts have no that no idea what boat design you are talking about changing. I mean, would it be that difficult to mention the plans , website or even reference a photo of said boat?
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

FAO boat.

Peace,
    Robert

Thank you Robert!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Glad to help.

Sometimes I even do! Hehehe.

Peace,
    Robert

From what I've seen of boats that size glass aluminum or wood even a Bimini top can cause problems when the wind is up but what do I know LOL