Thread: Glued plank keek timbers?

Default Glued plank keek timbers?

typo in the heading sorry. I didn't want to share the photos without permission from the facebook page.

So I saw this photo of a lots of planks and lots of glue and clamps on this horizontal keel timber Scott Smith's "sea dreamer" http://www.seadreamerproject.com/

So I'm like.. aware of such type of building methods and knowing how difficult it is to get such a timber as our friends SDentte have found. .. but seeing this, has me wondering on the longevity wisdom of such a glue up?
    Last edited by DeniseO30; 07-15-2017 at 12:01 PM.
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

Default Re: Glued plank keek timbers?

Gorge Buehler's designs generally call for that type of keel. Its a major selling point to the backyard builder who is intimidated by finding big wood.

Keel bolts go through all the lams to back it up, I feel it can be a good option for many boats. If you have the conditions to cure resorcinol, so much the better. You could then even use oak.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I JUST saw that on FB , and looked at the link and gave a quick once over.
    My own keel is lammed up of 2x's, but in the other dimension and of AYC and with epoxy. All three things which I feel make mine mo betta.
    His larch planking looks like fast growth crap.

Never been a fan of Buelher. For the same amount of work and material a better vessel can always be had . Folks fall prey to his romantic writing.

Not everyone lucky enough to live in areas where top quality boat timber might get blown off a mountain.......and how many other designers use the "romance" in order to sell plans? Buelher must of learnt that one from Wharram, they all do it to some extent.

Meg's stem to keel is a laminated structure, mostly of douglas fir as that takes the glue really well.

Picture October 2014

Unless you have a real bug about following the old ways, lamination is the way to go. Very efficient use of wood.
    Last edited by Ian McColgin; 07-15-2017 at 01:00 PM.

The deadwood had been made separatly and is here being attached to the keel lams. The bottom of the keel on either side of where the lead will go has an angelique shoe.

Rockland Maine USA and Woodbridge, Suffolk, England

Laminated stems and backbones have been around from the late 1950's – as far as I know all the boats we built in those years are still going strong. Really as soon as resorcinol glue became available we started to laminate. Here's Windjammer 37' ketch in build in 1971 (launched August 1972) with pretty sophisticated laminated backbone structure:

It's not altogether lack of large timber or the difficulty of handling and working it – it's also the shape you want to achieve is easier (or indeed only possible) with a laminated structure.

Cheers -- George
    Last edited by debenriver; 07-15-2017 at 07:26 PM.
    To be truly free to live, one must be free to think and speak.

A C Grayling

Thank you everyone for the input! Sadly due to age and phyical problems I'll never really get to be around such timbers. real or otherwise..
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto