Thread: A sacriligious post. ?

Default A sacriligious post. ?

MY daughter and SIL are planning to buy a "boat."
    This one here: https://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/boa/d/...12545593.html:

Could use some input on what to look for.
    Price is about $15,000 US

Will never go for a woody for love or money.
    basil

Default Re: A sacriligious post. ?

There is nothing here
    No web page for this address
    404 Error
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Somethings haywire.
    Workin on it.

https://nanaimo.craigslist.ca/boa/d/...212545593.html
    Last edited by goodbasil; 07-15-2017 at 01:15 AM.
    basil

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    Somethings haywire.
    Workin on it.
    I got the 404 from c-list the other day.

The item then disappeared.

May be you have nothing to worry about!
    Rattling the teacups.

Post #3 fixed, I think.
    basil

Sacrilegious indeed !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

What to look for? Maybe an adventure bike? A scooter? A jeep? There are good threads on all of them. But really anything that will put some distance between you and them.

I am so very sorry fo you, goodbasil.
    Steve Martinsen

goodbasil, you could be banned for putting your family's shame out in public . . .

Not my type of boat, but no accounting for taste, eh? But that's no reason for not answering your question.

- look the hull over for blisters, gelcoat cracking, or other surface defects. Pay particular attention to stressed areas such as mooring cleats, railings mounts and outdrive mount.
    - ensure that engine compartment exhaust blower works.
    - check for typical engine issues; start it up and allow to reach running temperature, then check for hose leaks, exhaust leaks, etc.
    - test drive and check for gearbox overheating, smooth shifts between F-N-R. If possible, check that outdrive sacrificial anodes are present and in good shape.
    - check the engine fluids for level and contamination
    - check prop for damage
    - check the electrical panel for burnt wires, corroded connectors, dirt, etc.
    - make sure all electrical systems (pumps, lights, etc.) work
    - look in nooks & crannies and under upholstery for dirt, mold, or mildew
    - check that all thru-hulls are properly installed and hoses fitted with double hose clamps
    - confirm that bilge pumps work
    - test batteries
    - inspect fuel, water, and sewage tanks for leaks and correct fittings
    - draw a glass of water and look at it, smell it, and taste it
    - ensure that the fridge & stove work
    - ensure that all electronics work
    - check all furniture, fittings, equipment for secure fastening to hull structure
    - test drive and pay attention to smooth acceleration, equal response to port & stbd turns, and the ability to perform a crash-stop from moderate speed without undue vibration or other terror-inducing noises and behaviors
    - check inventory of fenders, docklines, PFD's, etc.

Good luck with the purchase; I hope all goes well and that your daughter & SIL get huge amounts of enjoyment from their new-to-them boat.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I'd avoid the boat based solely on the engine package. The 7.4L is based on the GM 454 block. It's out of production and at 27 years old this one is a ticking time bomb. Spun bearings seem to be a common cause of death in old age. Some common replacement parts like coolant hoses are no longer available. A modern repower won't bolt right up to the existing outdrive package and would easily cost more than the price of the boat.

The ad states the outdrive and transom plate were replaced in 2000. The boat was only 10 years old then and that "New" outdrive is now 17 years old. The transom plates are prone to corrosion. Most came equipped with Mercathode active galvanic corrosion systems but if all the grounding wires and anodes are not maintained the system fails. Holes can get burned through parts of the drive, gimbal or transom plate that are impossible to see without a complete tear down.

The owner obviously put a lot of money into this boat but many of her sister ships are long retired to back lots and fields with dead motors and broken outdrives.

I would affirm the above. A neighbor bought a similar boat "at a very good price". I believe it has that same engine and drive. He is very handy at fixing up old cars and things but this boat has him stumped and has been sitting in his driveway for two years. Mostly rubber parts unavailable like hoses and outdrive bellows of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Sacrilegious indeed !
    Could you do a wood effect vinyl wrap?
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Couldn't you find something that's easier on the eyes? Well, de gustibus non disputandum, eh?
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by goodbasil View Post
    MY daughter and SIL are planning to buy a "boat."

Will never go for a woody for love or money.
    That's too bad. This Trojan is on the same CL, in the same price range.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

bible, they need a bible

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Butler View Post
    I'd avoid the boat based solely on the engine package. The 7.4L is based on the GM 454 block. It's out of production and at 27 years old this one is a ticking time bomb. Spun bearings seem to be a common cause of death in old age. Some common replacement parts like coolant hoses are no longer available. A modern repower won't bolt right up to the existing outdrive package and would easily cost more than the price of the boat.

The ad states the outdrive and transom plate were replaced in 2000. The boat was only 10 years old then and that "New" outdrive is now 17 years old. The transom plates are prone to corrosion. Most came equipped with Mercathode active galvanic corrosion systems but if all the grounding wires and anodes are not maintained the system fails. Holes can get burned through parts of the drive, gimbal or transom plate that are impossible to see without a complete tear down.

The owner obviously put a lot of money into this boat but many of her sister ships are long retired to back lots and fields with dead motors and broken outdrives.
    ^^^^^This
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Butler View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I would affirm the above. A neighbor bought a similar boat "at a very good price". I believe it has that same engine and drive. He is very handy at fixing up old cars and things but this boat has him stumped and has been sitting in his driveway for two years. Mostly rubber parts unavailable like hoses and outdrive bellows of some sort.
    Let this one go.

"This is not the boat you are looking for..."
    Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[

Isn't the other thing to be frightened of with old glass boats, rot in encapsulated timbers? New frames, transoms etc being commonly required.

blowing chunks!

Summer will be over soon.

Daughter called lastnight. They've 86th the idea of buying this boat.
    Showed them this thread. I think they thought that I was trying to rain on their parade, but I just didn't want them to get stuck with a white elephant.
    I think all you naysayers help bring them to their senses.
    I doubt any of you will get to heaven for your efforts but you may get a day pass.
    basil