Thread: Show Me Your Mast Boots

Default Show Me Your Mast Boots

I need to make two new mast boots soon. The masts are about 7" in diameter, solid spruce, going through wooden mast partners. There is a wooden ring above deck to secure the lower end of the boot to.

What have you done that worked well? I want a proper boot, not packing the gap with epoxy or goo.

Noeopreme? Canvas? Rubber? Sewn in place or beforehand?

Thanks!

Default Re: Show Me Your Mast Boots

It ai t pretty but a section of truck tire inner tube and a couple of stainless pipe clamps will keep you water tight. A little lube on the mast and the deck ring and some HOT water will help get everything situated. ArmorAll will keep the rubber from suffering UV degradation.

On a beautifully built Atkin classic, there's really nothing for it but a traditional canvas boot. Use a heavy weight canvas with a tight weave. After attachment, paint the canvas with thinned paint in the same manner as one would a canvas deck covering. Not so heavy that the paint cracks when the boot moves a bit. Bed the collar with Dolphinite or any sort of flexible bedding compound. Lash the foot.

The Committee has already hashed this one out. See: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...8724-Mast-Boot
    Last edited by Bob Cleek; 07-14-2017 at 01:57 PM.

Shrinking one of "Bright Star's" canvas boots with hot water. Once shrunk it was painted with marine enamel with, a bit of added melted paraffin for flex. It is also padded with oakum.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 07-16-2017 at 01:30 PM.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

These boots are for masts that come out regularly.

Mine have not been out since they were put in , the day after launch in 1984.
    They do not leak.
    Yup, epoxied in.
    How many steps and floors have gone to rubbish because of leaky boots.
    woodwinds mizzen boot, with 3 bilge pump exhausts, and strings for engine controls
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 07-14-2017 at 07:38 PM.

No good close up but here we are. I make round boots with six pieces to fit well. If the stick's up, sew up five seams on the machine and make the last in place. I use cotton canvas. It will shed water just fine and lets vapor pass so you don't get condensation and consequent rot like with plastics.

At the top, I invert the boot and seize. The fold down in place and seize outside.

How do you do the sewing in place? It seems that where the boot is tight fitting at the top it would be very difficult to sew.

Wiz, I like your style. I don't think it fits the boat I'm working on, but I like it.

/Mats
    My blog about my time as a boat building student and as a rigger apprentice http://kaptenmohsart.blogspot.se/ in Swedish only, but there are many pictures :-)

I use a herringbone stitch. As with stitching on oar leathers, it's easily made to draw as tight as you like.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Last year I made a mast boot using a sticky stretchy ace bandage wrap, followed by painting with white "liquid electrical tape" which you can but in hardware stores. It looks like painted fabric when done. The top and bottom I sealed with white electrical tape.
    I've done this. It works well. If you still don't like the look, you can make a canvas boot over it. But this works.
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Or there are those rubber boots for roofing protrusions you get in hardware stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I use a herringbone stitch. As with stitching on oar leathers, it's easily made to draw as tight as you like.
    If I am picturing it right, the herringbone draws up two flush surfaces together, without overlapping them. It seems some type of stitch that allows overlapping the fabric would be more watertight. Do you just size the fabric so it exactly pulls up against itself when tight, and that does it?

I was planning on unpainted sunbrella, but maybe I should go with canvas and paint it to seal that seam.

If you fold a hem on each side, maybe even sew it in place, and draw the stitches tight, the seam comes together tightly and will shed water. You can even dress up such a seam by laying a bit of string.

I love Sunbrella but I think it too light for the job. Good heavy canvass is the thing, stiff enough to hold the conical shape and will swell nicely in rain. One good local source if you can't find it otherwise is an artist's supply shop - canvass for painting on is just right.

There are several herringbones. I use the double needle approach.

Sounds like a plan, thanks for the info everybody.