Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The best Jeep to buy?

Default Re: The best Jeep to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    Willy's Overland

Jimmy, you and I would get along great...

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    The guy who started this thread lives in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
    Not quite--the Northern lower peninsula, but still wild and wintry.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    I love land cruisers. LOVE.

but have you priced the parts? Yeah they're reliable but anytime ANYthing needs replacement you're in for a grand at least.

and I don't really get the whole "Jeeps unreliable" thing either. My wranglers required no more frequent attention than my 4runner.
    Two things.

1) Rock Auto, and

2) Get one that's 25 years old.
    Rattling the teacups.

1) meh.

2) 25 yr old jeep = YJ generation. Ok now I get the reliablility concern. I tend to ignore the '87-97 period and pretend it just didn't happen in most aspects of my life.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

OK. I never heard of a Toyota YJ, but whatever.
    Rattling the teacups.

OK. I never heard of a Toyota YJ, but whatever.
    Jeep YJ:

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Jeep YJ:

Thanks, Garret.

He started out talking Land Cruisers, but I guess I missed a gear.
    Rattling the teacups.

Thanks, Garret.

He started out talking Land Cruisers, but I guess I missed a gear.
    Well - early LCs were 3 speed & later 4....

And - he said "25 yr old jeep = YJ generation" - meaning a 25 YO jeep would have been a YJ model.

Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    1) meh.

2) 25 yr old jeep = YJ generation. Ok now I get the reliablility concern. I tend to ignore the '87-97 period and pretend it just didn't happen in most aspects of my life.
    25 YO Land Cruiser gets a 9.4 out of 10 rating from Kelley Blue Book, if that means anything.

Land Cruiser Brake Drum from Rock Auto: $37.79

From Napa: $109.09

80 amp AC Delco Reman Alternator from Rock Auto: $86.79

From Napa: Bosh reman 80amp (no AC Delco) $ 164.09.

It's just like what the surgeon said to the guy who was bleeding profusely, but didn't want to pay for stitches:

Suture self.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    The best Jeep to buy is probably a Toyota, Subaru, Mazda, Chevy, Polaris, Land Rover, Kia, Ford, or Suzuki. Some of these would be vintage vehicles, not the current model. But I wouldn't buy anything from Jeep/Chrysler/Fiat these days. YMMV
    OK... I should have excepted the new Fiat 124. A friend just came by with some drawings, driving the Abarth version of the 124. It is even better looking in person that in fotos. He loves it. OTOH... this is barely a Fiat. Mostly a Mazda, and I favor Mazdas anyway.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    We have had NO MECHANICAL problems whatsoever, and we drove cross country towing the LARGE double axle U-Haul over the Vail Pass.
    OK, prepare for failure in 10, 9, 8, 7....
    The trouble with internet reviews and opinions is that people like to bitch about bad experiences, but Jeep seems to attract more than most. And Ford Exploders.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

If you dont want a Toyota Landcruiser, what about a Nissan Patrol? Can you get the turbodiesel there?

I like the older ones:
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    If you dont want a Toyota Landcruiser, what about a Nissan Patrol? Can you get the turbodiesel there?

I like the older ones:
    We've never gotten the Patrol. A few were gray market imported back in the day (60s & 70s) - but no dealer support. Diesel? In the US? Surely you jest.

ETA: I sit corrected. The Nissan Armada (which is sold here) is based on the Patrol. However, it's only available with a big engine (390 HP V8: 9MPG City, 17 Highway) & all the "modern" bells & whistles.
    Last edited by Garret; 07-14-2017 at 05:33 PM.

I have a friend who has a REAL Nissan Patrol. That baby tops out at about 35 mph. Another friend went 'mudding' in the Patrol, and when water was halfway up the doors he asked my other buddy 'man, what are we going to do if we get stuck?'. The most classic answer: 'well, if we get stuck I will put it in four wheel drive'. That thing is awesome.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

I love Jeeps, grew up with them and have owned quite a few. WOULD NEVER BUY ONE AGAIN! They start rusting the minute they arrive at the dealership. The electrical systems are reminiscent of British sports cars of the 60s and the transmissions the same. Chrysler products simply have no quality control.
    Up here in Northern Michigan my 2006 Honda Ridgeline handles everything just as well as my last Wrangler except serious rock crawling and after 11 trouble free years has no rust and is far more comfortable and still has excellent resale value.
    No signs Chrysler has any plans to fix their problems in the near future as long as the uninformed continue to buy their products.
    When the last tree is cut
    When the last river is dry
    When the last fish is caught
    Only then will Man realize that he cannot eat money.

Quote Originally Posted by michigangeorge View Post
    I love Jeeps, grew up with them and have owned quite a few. WOULD NEVER BUY ONE AGAIN! They start rusting the minute they arrive at the dealership. The electrical systems are reminiscent of British sports cars of the 60s and the transmissions the same. Chrysler products simply have no quality control.
    Up here in Northern Michigan my 2006 Honda Ridgeline handles everything just as well as my last Wrangler except serious rock crawling and after 11 trouble free years has no rust and is far more comfortable and still has excellent resale value.
    No signs Chrysler has any plans to fix their problems in the near future as long as the uninformed continue to buy their products.
    Yeah, but you're from Charlevoix...it never snows up there

Jeff C

I own a '99' Toyota Tacoma. I was hesitant buying an older truck but what struck me was how something with nearly 150k miles on it can have no oil leaks from the motor or the transmission. Also, how can it still have ice cold AC that you don't have to recharge every couple months by now? The steering and suspension still like a new car and the steering wheel dead level when driving straight down the road? This vehicle is one that I am compelled to keep fit. It would be a shame to drive it into the ground for what it's worth. Somebody obviously cared about this truck, and it seems to have returned the favor. It was difficult negotiating a fair price for it. I have the feeling his spouse was forcing the sale because he looked stressed and somewhat hesitant handing over the keys and he drug it out to the last minute. He now owns a new Tundra, and was still driving this one regularly.

These trucks are still expensive in this condition. Only thing that saved me is he needed a lot of custom welding work done. It's the only way I could get a "deal" on it. I love this thing. It's a tight and tidy little truck.

Quote Originally Posted by pipefitter View Post
    I own a '99' Toyota Tacoma. I was hesitant buying an older truck but what struck me was how something with nearly 150k miles on it can have no oil leaks from the motor or the transmission. Also, how can it still have ice cold AC that you don't have to recharge every couple months by now? The steering and suspension still like a new car and the steering wheel dead level when driving straight down the road? This vehicle is one that I am compelled to keep fit. It would be a shame to drive it into the ground for what it's worth. Somebody obviously cared about this truck, and it seems to have returned the favor. It was difficult negotiating a fair price for it. I have the feeling his spouse was forcing the sale because he looked stressed and somewhat hesitant handing over the keys and he drug it out to the last minute. He now owns a new Tundra, and was still driving this one regularly.

These trucks are still expensive in this condition. Only thing that saved me is he needed a lot of custom welding work done. It's the only way I could get a "deal" on it. I love this thing. It's a tight and tidy little truck.

That's a nice looking truck there feller. It would look even better with your wooden boat with fishing rods and bloody decks behind it. [grin]
    WBF=DNC

Quote Originally Posted by erster View Post
    That's a nice looking truck there feller. It would look even better with your wooden boat with fishing rods and bloody decks behind it. [grin]
    That's why I got it. Finally got the new springs and galv. hardware/bearings for the trailer this week.

Too bad Waddie is banned--I seem to remember that he had rebuilt/restored a few late '80's--early '90's Jeeps, which is what I'd be interested in doing.

Jeff C

Jeep? I recover more Jeeps than anything else it seems, mainly because the dicks who drive them believe the advertising..
    Bald, ugly, not too bright but incredibly sexy in an unattractive sort of way....

I bought my 4WD 1997 jeep grande cherokee 15 months ago with 103k for 1000 dollars. Good tires, engine fine, brakes good. Eats gas 14mpg but runs well and can go most places. I will put it against most other comparisons out there.

As i become more cynical or jaded - i am recognizing that most get fixated on the tool rather than the one to get you to the place you want/need to go. Comparing good to great is by few degrees. Pondering about them for most is their action rather than taking on the project.

Here is my $1000 Jeep - we together have already driven to Death Valley via jeep roads and forged swollen streams in pursuit of a story.

Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 07-17-2017 at 08:32 AM.
    There is nothing you can do with an ape/human hybrid. They'll rip your arm off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    I bought my 4WD 1997 jeep grande cherokee 15 months ago with 103k for 1000 dollars. Good tires, engine fine, brakes good. Eats gas 14mpg but runs well and can go most places. I will put it against most other comparisons out there.

As i become more cynical or jaded - i am recognizing that most get fixated on the tool rather than the one to get you to the place you want/need to go. Comparing good to great is by few degrees. Pondering about them for most is their action rather than taking on the project.

Here is my $1000 Jeep - we together have already driven to Death Valley via jeep roads and forged swollen streams in pursuit of a story.

There's some truth to that bolded part. Almost any auto today is light years ahead of my first car, for instance. At the same time, it's a bit of an oversimplification. In the worst/best comparison, it's often more than a few degrees. So, despite anecdotal evidence, I'll stick to my comment about steering clear of most Chrysler/Fiat products until they get their act a bit more tightly packed.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post

I like the older ones:
    The 'States got a Nissan diesel in the International Scout many years ago...

Pipes, I have seen just one Tacoma (LHD import) on the road here, much nicer than the F150s etc that normally get imported.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Just saw a bumper sticker on a Jeep. It said,
    "It's a JEEP! If I wanted a hummer I would have called your sister."

Rude!! But funny....