Thread: Another craft disappearing

Default Another craft disappearing

Another craft disappearing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO24...s_digest-vrecs

My grandfather was never employed by a boss. He was a small farmer in Flanders, had dogs to pull the wagon. His brother had a cow he could lend if ploughing had to be done. Brother was rich.

After WW 1 he had seen France, so he formed a group of men from the village to mow. They started in Mid France and mowed their way up to Holland. All transport by foot or bike.

He made his tools himself, even made me a small threshing tool to help with the adults threshing wheat. I still hear the sound of those threshing clubs hitting the floor.

Default Re: Another craft disappearing

Awesome. Thanks.

Peace,
    Robert

Bet that workbench could tell some stories!

Probably many generations worth of stories!

I can't imagine Uncle Victor the farm toolmaker in Transylvania is going to go out of business anytime soon. Those Transylvanians always have a need for scythes, pitchforks, torches, and stuff like that.

False alarm. The craft is not disappearing, mearly adapting to market conditions. There was a time every village had a blacksmith/farrier and a joiner/toolmaker. Nowadays one can not live from one village alone, so there is one every 3-10 villages. The biggest problem is actually the overabundance of old tools and the do it yourself crowd who repair them. I for example do not need another scythe handle, my grandfathers fits me perfectly since we are the same stature. And I replaced the broken teeth on grandmas rake myself.

The tools and the bench in the video I estimate at 150 years old, the shaving block is probably older than that, around 200 years.

I've bought a few of these of the years, they're wonderful windows into the past.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-NATI...0AAOSw3v5Yq2ew

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead