Results 1 to 29 of 29

Thread: the human eye

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    79,240

    Default the human eye

    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    79,240

    Default Re: the human eye

    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    12,709

    Default

    Ewwww!

    Kevin


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Reedville, OR
    Posts
    7,870

    Default Re: the human eye

    And those don't even have worms.

    Do not Google "eye parasites"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    79,240

    Default Re: the human eye

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Do not Google "eye parasites"
    yeah, thanks for that
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    seattle
    Posts
    11,305

    Default Re: the human eye

    They look like pot holders my grandma use to knit.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Posts
    44,955

    Default Re: the human eye

    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    And those don't even have worms. Do not Google "eye parasites"
    I did, of course, how could one not? But I'm kind of immune to that now. I took a whole course in parasitology, the only course I ever took in college that met early in the morning. I woke up pretty quickly most days, I can tell you. I recommend it to anyone who believes in a merciful creator.

    I think those eye photos are kind of cool, not gross at all.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

    Richard Feynman

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    1,822

    Default Re: the human eye

    Gross! Thanks for sharing!
    Skip

    ---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK. Cornwall, Suffolk.
    Posts
    3,114

    Default Re: the human eye

    I went out with a lady who was a dermatologist, specialising in genital skin deseases. I didn't dip in to her work related library for about 6 months. Then it ended. Good times.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    17,948

    Default Re: the human eye

    The 'engineering' of the eye is pretty incredible - and beautiful. But yeah - in the end, we're all mush/dust.



    Doesn't that say 'come hither, big boy'?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK. Cornwall, Suffolk.
    Posts
    3,114

    Default Re: the human eye

    I think the development of simple cells in-utero into something as specialist as a stereoscopic pair of highly accurate, self accommodating, focussed photosensitive light receptors that can transfer information to electrical current still pretty far fetched and remarkable.

    Blindness must really suck.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    39,583

    Default Re: the human eye

    ... is a stinkin' miracle...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    30,046

    Default Re: the human eye

    Looked at the pics in the OP, and suddenly thought
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    7,737

    Default Re: the human eye

    Is delicious. Erm, um... I mean...

    Peace,
    Never Eaten A Human Eye, Relax

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    30,046

    Default Re: the human eye

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Is delicious. Erm, um... I mean...

    Peace,
    Never Eaten A Human Eye, Relax
    And by "never," he means "not very recently."
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks USA
    Posts
    9,424

    Default Re: the human eye

    Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post

    ...Blindness must really suck.
    I once made a film in a hospital for emotionally disturbed blind children, I left my movie camera in the car, intending to just tip toe in socks in order to observe the kids for a few days. I was surprised to see a half dozen kids playing "bumper tag" on bicycles in the parking lot--they were navigating by listening to the sound of the other kids' bike chains. In their large play room there was a trampoline, some of the kids amused themselves by bouncing extra high and punching holes in the acoustic ceiling tiles.

    After a week of tip toeing and observing I decided that I had learned enough as a silent observer to begin shooting film. As I prepared the camera I overheard two of the kids talking: "Yeah, he's here again...Brought his camera, so he's ready to start making the movie..."

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    79,240

    Default Re: the human eye

    Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    I think the development of simple cells in-utero into something as specialist as a stereoscopic pair of highly accurate, self accommodating, focussed photosensitive light receptors that can transfer information to electrical current still pretty far fetched and remarkable.

    Blindness must really suck.
    almost evidence for god eh?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    30,046

    Default Re: the human eye

    Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    I once made a film in a hospital for emotionally disturbed blind children, I left my movie camera in the car, intending to just tip toe in socks in order to observe the kids for a few days. I was surprised to see a half dozen kids playing "bumper tag" on bicycles in the parking lot--they were navigating by listening to the sound of the other kids' bike chains. In their large play room there was a trampoline, some of the kids amused themselves by bouncing extra high and punching holes in the acoustic ceiling tiles.

    After a week of tip toeing and observing I decided that I had learned enough as a silent observer to begin shooting film. As I prepared the camera I overheard two of the kids talking: "Yeah, he's here again...Brought his camera, so he's ready to start making the movie..."
    Ontario School for the Blind was a few blocks away from where I lived as an elementary school kid. The students used to play hockey with a tin can. One of the kids said he used to fight his brothers at night, but turned off the light first.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    7,737

    Default Re: the human eye

    Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    And by "never," he means "not very recently."
    That was a long time ago. In a galaxy far, far away.

    And I was forced.

    Peace,
    The Droid You're Looking For (sigh)

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Isle of Mull, Scotland
    Posts
    1,493

    Default Re: the human eye

    I still find dragonfly's eyes even more amazing.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Indian Land, SC, USA
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: the human eye

    The eye is fascinating, but the progress of eye surgery is also quite astounding - About 4 years ago, I was able to go from 20/800
    vision to 20/25 in a mere 15 minutes of surgery, while I was awake. The resulting clarity of vision was really totally new thing for me

    Rick

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    79,240

    Default Re: the human eye

    Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    I still find dragonfly's eyes even more amazing.

    start a thread
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    27,690

    Default Re: the human eye



    Anyone watch this hauntingly disturbing movie ?
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    30,046

    Default Re: the human eye

    Great movie, Joe.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Lake of the Ozarks USA
    Posts
    9,424

    Default Re: the human eye

    Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Ontario School for the Blind was a few blocks away from where I lived as an elementary school kid. The students used to play hockey with a tin can. One of the kids said he used to fight his brothers at night, but turned off the light first.
    At one point I assembled all of the kids for a group shot on the front steps of the hospital.
    Only later, after the film was developed, did I realize that one of the kids had dropped his pants and was mooning the camera.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    UK. Cornwall, Suffolk.
    Posts
    3,114

    Default Re: the human eye

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    almost evidence for god eh?
    No, no....

    The amazing does not have to resigned to metaphysics just because it's amazing.

    .................................................. ..................................................

    On the subject of eye surgery, I used to sail a fireball with an almost blind farmer, unbeknownst to me, for about a year. He kept it very hush hush, until we were entered for a dinghy regatta, and at the 10 minute gun, we were about 7 miles away, nearing Godrevy light house. He told me his secret right there and then, asking if I'd mind helming on such an important occasion. After getting out of the trapese harness, and him getting into it, we sailed the races; 3 back to back in a F5. We capsized 4 times, lost him overboard 3 times and still came in 1st! Anyhow, he told me after that he was going for eye surgery (cataracts)...which he promptly booked in. He had it done one morning about a month later, and that afternoon I met him in the dinghy pen, rigging up to go out. I couldn't believe it. looking into his eyes I could only see the faintest of lines where the laser had cut out his lenses to burn away the cataracts, then it glued them back in.

    He said he was concious the whole time, and it smelt like burning eggs.

    .................................................. .................................................. .

    I have eaten a barbeque'd sheeps eye. Crispy charcoal on the outside, with a leather surround a bit like a large squash (racquetball) ball, with a gooey squish centre that kind of bursts and fills your mouth with rank flavoured stuff. Probably the hardest physical object that is supposedly food to eat, and absolutely foul. Greek Easter festivities 1982. I was 12.

    Never again.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    17,948

    Default Re: the human eye

    Quote Originally Posted by Shang View Post
    At one point I assembled all of the kids for a group shot on the front steps of the hospital.
    Only later, after the film was developed, did I realize that one of the kids had dropped his pants and was mooning the camera.



    Actually, that's me - middle school graduation - with honors!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    17,948

    Default Re: the human eye

    Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    No, no....

    The amazing does not have to resigned to metaphysics just because it's amazing.

    .................................................. ..................................................

    On the subject of eye surgery, I used to sail a fireball with an almost blind farmer, unbeknownst to me, for about a year. He kept it very hush hush, until we were entered for a dinghy regatta, and at the 10 minute gun, we were about 7 miles away, nearing Godrevy light house. He told me his secret right there and then, asking if I'd mind helming on such an important occasion. After getting out of the trapese harness, and him getting into it, we sailed the races; 3 back to back in a F5. We capsized 4 times, lost him overboard 3 times and still came in 1st! Anyhow, he told me after that he was going for eye surgery (cataracts)...which he promptly booked in. He had it done one morning about a month later, and that afternoon I met him in the dinghy pen, rigging up to go out. I couldn't believe it. looking into his eyes I could only see the faintest of lines where the laser had cut out his lenses to burn away the cataracts, then it glued them back in.

    He said he was concious the whole time, and it smelt like burning eggs.

    .................................................. .................................................. .

    I have eaten a barbeque'd sheeps eye. Crispy charcoal on the outside, with a leather surround a bit like a large squash (racquetball) ball, with a gooey squish centre that kind of bursts and fills your mouth with rank flavoured stuff. Probably the hardest physical object that is supposedly food to eat, and absolutely foul. Greek Easter festivities 1982. I was 12.

    Never again.
    Chicken. It smells like... burnt chicken. DAMHIKT

    The beauty of lense extraction/IOL placement, for vision correction (relative to lasik) is - your eye anatomy, and thickness of the cornea, remains normal.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    271

    Default Re: the human eye

    Absolutely beautiful!!! Clear illustration of the mechanics of the iris and how it can contract and expand. Wonderful! Thanks for the post.
    "... the door was ajar, and the game was afoot." Lawrence Block

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •