Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does Multiple threads on the same News story tell us?

Default Re: What does Multiple threads on the same News story tell us?

I do, however, regret the proliferation of threads on the same topic. But for a different reason than has been mentioned thus far.

What I see happening is -- there is already a thread started on a topic. Someone else wants to raise the issue, and doesn't notice that the first thread already addresses this particular issue... and starts a new thread. Sometimes this happens because #2 just wasn't paying attention. Sometimes, because they choose not to read thread started by specific individuals. Sometimes, vague or misleading thread titles contribute to the oversight.

But in the end - the inadvertent duplication leads to both the needless proliferation of threads... and to the diffusion of discussion. It's a LOT easier to follow a topic if it's all on one thread.... no?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I do, however, regret the proliferation of threads on the same topic. But for a different reason than has been mentioned thus far.

What I see happening is -- there is already a thread started on a topic. Someone else wants to raise the issue, and doesn't notice that the first thread already addresses this particular issue... and starts a new thread. Sometimes this happens because #2 just wasn't paying attention. Sometimes, because they choose not to read thread started by specific individuals. Sometimes, vague or misleading thread titles contribute to the oversight.

But in the end - the inadvertent duplication leads to both the needless proliferation of threads... and to the diffusion of discussion. It's a LOT easier to follow a topic if it's all on one thread.... no?
    *shrugs*

I don't think it matters, one bit. Sometimes, a second thread will lead off to a different tangent of the same story, which is a good thing.... since most threads ultimately descend into one-liner responses, either humorous, or intentionally disparaging. A secondary thread can re-track a discussion.

I wish people would stop getting their knickers all twisted up about stuff like this. It's a public forum, and as far as I know, NOBODY is forced to read ANYTHING.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

What does Multiple threads on the same News story tell us?
    That someone slept through grammar class.

That some folks suffer from attention-deficit hyperactivity syndrome?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post

That some folks suffer from attention-deficit hyperactivity syndrome?
    We all have our crosses to bear.

For example, some people suffer from condescending disparagement syndrome.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Or maybe it's just that their fingers stutter...

Michael, Norman

You gents get the Bravo! Slow clap this morning!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

Gee, Skip, I really didn't want to get the clap - even the slow type - but I guess that it is one of the risks of playing in the dirty Bilge, eh?

hahahaha
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

“NEXT TIME YOU GET INTO A LITTLE SQUABBLE WITH A TRUMP VOTER, BRING THIS INTO THE CONVERSATION:
    1. He called Hillary Clinton a crook. You bought it. Then he paid $25 million to settle a fraud lawsuit.
    2. He said he’d release his tax returns, eventually. You bought it. He hasn’t, and says he never will.
    3. He said he’d divest himself from his financial empire, to avoid any conflicts of interest. You bought it. He is still heavily involved in his businesses, manipulates the stock market on a daily basis, and has more conflicts of interest than can even be counted.
    4. He said Clinton was in the pockets of Goldman Sachs, and would do whatever they said. You bought it. He then proceeded to put half a dozen Goldman Sachs executives in positions of power in his administration.
    5. He said he’d surround himself with all the best and smartest people. You bought it. He nominated theocratic loon Mike Pence for Vice President. A white supremacist named Steve Bannon is his most trusted confidant. Dr. Ben Carson, the world’s greatest idiot savant brain surgeon, is in charge of HUD. Russian quisling Rex Tillerson is Secretary of State.”
    “6. He said he’d be his own man, beholden to no one. You bought it. He then appointed Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education, whose only “qualifications” were the massive amounts of cash she donated to his campaign.
    7. He said he would “drain the swamp” of Washington insiders. You bought it. He then admitted that was just a corny slogan he said to fire up the rubes during the rallies, and that he didn’t mean it.
    8. He said he knew more about strategy and terrorism than the Generals did. You bought it. He promptly gave the green light to a disastrous raid in Yemen- even though all his Generals said it would be a terrible idea. This raid resulted in the deaths of a Navy SEAL, an 8-year old American girl, and numerous civilians. The actual target of the raid escaped, and no useful intel was gained.
    9. He said Hillary Clinton couldn’t be counted on in times of crisis. You bought it. He didn’t even bother overseeing that raid in Yemen; and instead spent the time hate-tweeting the New York Times, and sleeping.
    10. He called CNN, the Washington Post and the New York Times “fake news” and said they were his enemy. You bought it. He now gets all his information from Breitbart, Gateway Pundit, and InfoWars.
    11. He called Barack Obama “the vacationer-in-Chief” and accused him of playing more rounds of golf than Tiger Woods. He promised to never be the kind of president who took cushy vacations on the taxpayer’s dime, not when there was so much important work to be done. You bought it. He took his first vacation after 11 days in office. On the taxpayer’s dime. And went golfing.”
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

A well known propagandist opines:

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...speech/532917/

Yet the most troubling thing about the speech was the falsehood at its core; the problem is not with the speech, but with the speaker. The values Trump spoke for in Warsaw are values that he has put at risk every day of his presidency—and that he will continue to put to risk every day thereafter. Trump’s not wrong to perceive a threat to the Euro-Atlantic from the south and east. But the most recent and most dramatic manifestation of that threat was the Russian intervention in the U.S. election to install Donald Trump as president. The threat from outside is magnified by this threat from within—and it is that truth that makes a mockery of every word President Trump spoke in Warsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Peace,
    Multi-Trick Pony
    Who says you can't teach an old pony new tricks?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Gee, Skip, I really didn't want to get the clap - even the slow type - but I guess that it is one of the risks of playing in the dirty Bilge, eh?
    I hear the slow clap's not the antibiotic resistant type.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

That's good, because The Bilge is becoming a cesspool of disease-carrying types.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default Re: What does Multiple threads on the same new story tell us?

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Oh, I can. It's kinda hard to choose, actually.

What I can't do is name something which you will acknowledge as a Trump corruption. Though I could easily sneak something in by substituting the word "Clinton" or "Obama" in first, and correcting my "typo" after you'd dropped a ton of righteous bricks.
    Trump University!

That's good, because The Bilge is becoming a cesspool of disease-carrying types.
    Yes... increasingly.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    *shrugs*

I don't think it matters, one bit. Sometimes, a second thread will lead off to a different tangent of the same story, which is a good thing.... since most threads ultimately descend into one-liner responses, either humorous, or intentionally disparaging. A secondary thread can re-track a discussion.

I wish people would stop getting their knickers all twisted up about stuff like this. It's a public forum, and as far as I know, NOBODY is forced to read ANYTHING.

I think you may be in a tiny minority with this opinion , Norm.

I've closed many threads, after it's been pointed out that there is an earlier thread on the same topic.

It tells me that the poster, despite graduating from a US high school and perhaps a college, is still unable to distinguish singular from plural.

Why should any statement by a person so obviously lacking in basic language skills be taken seriously?
    If you welcome devils to your house, then you must feed them Afghan proverb.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    "... or, as I mentioned elsewhere, disparaging other people evidently makes them feel good about themselves.

Which is pretty sick.
    Really?
    Well, Mr. Botard, do you still deny all rhinocerotic evidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    I think you may be in a tiny minority with this opinion , Norm..
    I can live with that

Someone who holds ONLY majority opinions probably doesn't have much independence of thought.
    --- Charles Pierce

still boring

Quote Originally Posted by RHAKCT View Post
    still boring
    Evidently, not boring enough to stop you from posting, to call it boring
    --- Charles Pierce

just pointing out that after 8 months, it's boring, there's more to the world than politcs and the same subject everyday over and over.

I think that, at least for today, that the 'eyes' have indicated the level of interest in the glut of political threads....

You only think he's done here. Give it a few weeks or so and this thread will resurface with a quote of the author by the author.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Keep at it Norman. I like your threads. Don't let the bastards grind you down! (or the fools, or those so blind they cannot see etc)

Yup; gotta have a variety of news/op-ed sources. We can have ABC, NBS, CBS, CNN, WSJ, NYT, WP, and...

...NBS (Norman Broadcast System)!

Yup; gotta have a variety of news/op-ed sources. We can have ABC, NBS, CBS, CNN, WSJ, NYT, WP, and...

...NBS (Norman Broadcast System)!
    Like many of the best sources these days, NBS is a 'bundler' - not an original news source. They have no reporters on the street doing original research. They simply sift thru the plethora of content, and pick out the interesting bits. And then they broadcast it to a select audience. Us. Thanks, Norman!!
    Last edited by David G; 07-14-2017 at 10:28 AM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I have a friend who is obsessed with the Trump fiascos and texts me with every little tidbit. But I always have to politely tell her that I had already read it on the WBF.

The WBF is the most reliable news source I have. Norman's posts are like "a breath of fresh air."
    (Of course it wouldn't be that way without the ignore function.)

Some 30 years ago in Ca they passed the "no smoking in public places" law. Occasionally you would go into a provincial restaurant where they hadn't gotten the news. The air was so thick with smoke I would make a little test of accidentaly leaving the door open (This was in central California where it is always balmy, not cold not hot). Almost the entire place would go quiet and number of people that gave me the stink eye and alluded to prying themselves up from the stool to shut the door made me think I was in Manatoba, in January. Chances are those same places, although they have gotten the news on the law, will have the TV tuned to fox news and woe be it to the man that changes the channel.
    "Fresh air" is not good if you are in denial.

"What does [sic] Multiple threads on the same News story tell us?"

Something about the strength of denial, at least. And intellectual dishonesty. If it were all one thread, that would be an objection, a dishonest one, that is. A real objection would be, a new thread is started so as to not derail the original. Logical, and simple good manners.

What is the actual objection, did I miss it?
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    This will be great if we get it done and if we don't get it done it's going to be something that we're not going to like and that's OK and I can understand that. -- DT