Thread: Teleportation

Default Teleportation

Altho common at short distances for a few years, the Chinese have now teleported a photon several miles up to a satellite. I've only read brief descriptions of this but I have a question for those who know more about it. It involves quantum entanglement or what Einstein called "Spooky action at a distance". Does this happen faster than the speed of light? Is the action on the far photon instantaneous? If that is the case, does that suggest that in the future we may be able to, for instance, send instructions to a Mars rover in real time?

Default Re: Teleportation

Very cool but to be accurate, it's not really "teleportation" as the photon did not travel between the earth and the satellite. Rather, information traveled between the two points.

What's so funny about peace love & understanding?

I guess his question remains relevant as real time communication between a mars rover and earth is still communication of information.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

I'm no physicist (and I don't play one on TV) but from what I've read, the transmission of information is instantaneous, so the answer is yes, potentially we could have real-time control of a mars rover, or a rover anywhere else in the universe (in theory, at least).

I'm surprised no one has been studying 5200. It teleports from the tube to clothes, car seats & sofas within nanoseconds of the tube being opened - wouldn't that imply that other things could as well?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Really boggles the mind to think that information could travel faster than light. Still not sure that it really does.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I'm surprised no one has been studying 5200. It teleports from the tube to clothes, car seats & sofas within nanoseconds of the tube being opened - wouldn't that imply that other things could as well?
    Sticky action at a distance

Please could someone teleport me, a load of ultrasonics equipment, and a 7.5 tonne Unimog with trailer, 800KM back up to Holland whence I came?

Leaving Neustadt an Donau 0900 Monday 17 July, destination Dordrecht Holland the same time would do.

Thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    a load of ultrasonics equipment, and a 7.5 tonne Unimog with trailer
    what'd you lose?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Just helped my pal launch his boat today with his Unimog. Big beasts!

Sorry to steer this train back out of the cornfield, but does anyone know if these new teleportation experiments act at the speed of light or instantaneously?

Instantaneous

The last I heard quantum entanglement experiments were lab bench top scale.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll
    Really boggles the mind to think that information could travel faster than light. Still not sure that it really does.
    Not that I am a science denier... But what type of information is being transported? Please explain.

The enthusiasts are vague about that.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you have heard this bull before.

When it's fully developed, I will be able to teleport my wife from place to place, and I can drive in peace.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Not that I am a science denier... But what type of information is being transported? Please explain.

I'm certainly not knowledgeable about this, but it seems to me that if you can affect a change in a photon, you have the foundation for a binary system.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post

the charge, position, spin...essentially whatever state one of the entangled particles is in, the other one instantly assumes that same state. By itself it's not a lot of information" but when you consider that everything digital is comprised of millions of bits of ones and zero, you can see how large collections of entangled particles could convey significant amounts of information

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    what'd you lose?
    Four months of my life, an overdraft, memories of what boobs look like, and most of my liver.

A PHD physics friend was offered a position in Norway working on teleportation ten years ago; he declined and now earns a fortune with web analytics. I'm disappointed but not surprised. Teleportation of mass is far beyond us as we sit today, more's the shame. Some faculty a few years ago teleported a hologram across a river, but having no mass, although a first step, did not set the world on fire.

I think it would be the most world changing revolutionary technology ever to be made if it could become a possibility.

Photons do not have mass. So it seems at this point we might be limited to teleporting information. But if light years become meaningless when info is teleported instantly to the far side of the universe, maybe that solves the Ferme paradox. Maybe we have been listening to radio waves at light speed when the aliens are transmitting by photon entanglement.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    Very cool but to be accurate, it's not really "teleportation" as the photon did not travel between the earth and the satellite. Rather, information traveled between the two points.
    That's my take (though it's confusing) - but it's still really cool.

http://time.com/4854718/quantum-enta...eleport-space/
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    That's my take (though it's confusing) - but it's still really cool.

http://time.com/4854718/quantum-enta...eleport-space/
    That linked article actually says that they sent "an object". But I'm not sure that is correct. I was under the impression that there are two entangled particles, one in China and one on the satellite and that by changing one, they changed the other. But not sure that is correct either.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    That linked article actually says that they sent "an object". But I'm not sure that is correct. I was under the impression that there are two entangled particles, one in China and one on the satellite and that by changing one, they changed the other. But not sure that is correct either.
    yes it's confusing and the reporting on the event does little to clarify what actually happened. According to an article in the MIT Technology Review:

To perform the experiment, the Chinese team created entangled pairs of photons on the ground at a rate of about 4,000 per second. They then beamed one of these photons to the satellite, which passed overhead every day at midnight. They kept the other photon on the ground.
    Finally, they measured the photons on the ground and in orbit to confirm that entanglement was taking place, and that they were able to teleport photons in this way. Over 32 days, they sent millions of photons and found positive results in 911 cases. “We report the first quantum teleportation of independent single-photon qubits from a ground observatory to a low Earth orbit satellite—through an up-link channel— with a distance up to 1400 km,” says the Chinese team.

so they "beamed" the photons (I.e. the "object") from earth to space, but the "teleportation" happend when the photons in space and on the ground were entangled.

It it is also confusing that the definition of "teleportation" is not what most of us probably think it is. In this case, what is being teleported is not a particle but the quantum state of the particle. This is called "state teleportation".

At least, that's what I've gathered from what I've read. I could be wrong.

It sounds like this doesn't really violate the speed limit for the transfer of information. The entanglement may be instantaneous, but the photons can only be separated physically at the speed of light.

So, you entangle two photons, separate them at the speed of light, then transfer information "instantaneously".

But say you entangle a bunch of photons, then send half of them to Mars on a rover, their entangled pairs stay here. Once the rover arrives at Mars, you have instant communication with it.

It's only instantaneous if you believe in free will, immutable nature of time, and other fairy tales.

The communication is encoded the moment the photons are entangled. Actually, long before that.

That's not how I understand entanglement. Once two particles are entangled, changing one causes a like change in the other, regardless of the distance between them.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    That's not how I understand entanglement. Once two particles are entangled, changing one causes a like change in the other, regardless of the distance between them.
    Uh oh!...

Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Anyone remember "The Dean Drive"?
    Hands too small: Can't build his Wall!

Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[