Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6 streak plywood coble design

Default Re: 6 streak plywood coble design

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    ^ LOL...wheres the damn like button? Surely one can be considered to "work" off a beach, even if going fishing with a rod and reel? I dont think Nick had commercial fishing in mind.
    Certainly not in a 16foot boat. She has about the same working space as my Peerie Maa at 18 foot over the stems. I could probably work a few crab pots, if they were the folding pattern made from bed angle and iron rod that my family fished out of Margate, perhaps a dozen or so. Hardly a commercial venture.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Another coble designed by a naval architect
    Selway Fishers Fly Fishing Coble.
    Pictures from a FB post

This is the Scottish fly fishing coble, similar to te Scottish Salmon coble

Now that is more like it Nick the question is did the Naval Architect build it, if so I congratulate him/her.

Is there a photo of it completed?

http://www.selway-fisher.com/Rowskiffs.htm#HIN

That one in build by Miles Tandy.

It's a shame to see you resting on your laurels, Nick, when you could be leading us down paths yet unexplored. Such a tease you are!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    It's a shame to see you resting on your laurels, Nick, when you could be leading us down paths yet unexplored. Such a tease you are!
    Peerie Maa needs work.
    The model was built as it would be full size for proof of concept for the build, I already have the calculations to know that the weight, buoyancy tanks, and hydrostatics are good. As discussed the rudder is the only grey area, but easy to fix.

Cast your bread upon the waters, Nick. Find a suitable bridegroom, bless Peerie Maa and give her away. Unencumber yourself and make room in your life for a new boat... a better boat.

Jim

Better? Better? What is wrong with Peerie Maa pray, apart from old age?

She sails as well you know.

Mebbe it's me, Nick, but I've never built one thing that, after finishing it, I couldn't help but think I could build a better one next time.

It's a curse.

Mebbe it's me, Nick, but I've never built one thing that, after finishing it, I couldn't help but think I could build a better one next time.

It's a curse.
    it must be a curse Jim, especially as you could only build different, but not better.

Take good care of Peerie Maa!

Judging by her lines I think it would be hard to find a better boat in her size. I took part in shifting 3 bottom planks and the keel in a traditional doubleender and it was a lot less work than building a new one.

One more thing....... call me backward if you want....but why an outboard in a coble? It is a lot easier to protect the propeller of an inboard engine and with a largerly unprotected propeller the whole coble concept seems to loose it's point......or?
    Amateur living on the western coast of Finland

Come on, Nick. For ten years you've been telling us how to better build our boats without ever having once pushed that fancy plane of yours in anger.

Now's your chance to lead from the front!

Quote Originally Posted by heimlaga View Post

Judging by her lines I think it would be hard to find a better boat in her size. I took part in shifting 3 bottom planks and the keel in a traditional doubleender and it was a lot less work than building a new one.

One more thing....... call me backward if you want....but why an outboard in a coble? It is a lot easier to protect the propeller of an inboard engine and with a largerly unprotected propeller the whole coble concept seems to loose it's point......or?
    That tunnel stern and engine well puts the propeller in exactly the same place as a prop on a shaft, without the need of a shaft log, stern tube and bracket.

Come on, Nick. For ten years you've been telling us how to better build our boats without ever having once pushed that fancy plane of yours in anger.

Been there, done that. I have reframed Peerie, put in new shear strakes and everything above the shear.
    Put a lot of new wood in this, as well as making those square loomed oars

It's no good doing the work and posting a photo after the fact. We need threads, man!

That is a sweet pulling boat, though. Nice looking oars as well!

What's up with the big grumpy-looking bugger with his finger out?

It's no good doing the work and posting a photo after the fact. We need threads, man!

That is a sweet pulling boat, though. Nice looking oars as well!

What's up with the big grumpy-looking bugger with his finger out?
    This is a boat building thread, just at 1:1/16th scale

Asking a question. It was so long ago I can't remember what about though. She is a nice skiff, built by Borwicks of Windermere as a Park Lake hire boat in about 1953.

Quote Originally Posted by heimlaga View Post

1963 I used an outboard purely to save space for salmon netting.

There really s no need for all this rigmarole that Nick keep raking up.

A simple 7x3 inch slot through the ram plank a box to clamp the motor to strengthen by attaching to a thwart.

Simples!

Jim the same thought has passed through my mind about your own threads only I was too polite to mention it.

Apart from 2 videos on Utube, which weren't impressive at all, we only see the completed versions in your threads anyone could be making them.

[QUOTE=Jim Ledger;5289469]
    Last edited by Chippie; 07-18-2017 at 12:24 PM.

I didnt see John Harris getting all this grief when he put an outboard well in a dory. Its no wonder he does not post here, and gets his design suggestions from customer feedback than so called knowledgable traditionalists.......

^
    I would call it "constructive criticism. Old Boy.

^ Did you have any constructive criticism when the car was taking over the horse and cart? Times change and outboards are a usefull means of propulsion. Paul Fisher uses a well in his Coble adaptions.

Perhaps the people building these lightweight plywood models based on the looks of a Coble, do not intend to do any kind of fishing at all?

Paul Fisher uses a well in his Coble adaptions.

Perhaps the people building these lightweight plywood models based on the looks of a Coble, do not intend to do any kind of fishing at all?
    Although Paul Fishers boats look like excellent sailing dinghys they have a shallow forefoot and little of the form that makes an English coble a coble. Saw off the raking stern and it would just be another sailing dinghy.
    I read that the Drascombe Lugger

was also loosely modelled on the coble.

^ True, he may well have seen that deep fore foot as a hinderance rather than an asset for most potential builders. Certainly more aimed at the leisure market. Given as Chippie point out, the hundreds of years of development, when does the development stop? Did the Coble meet its peak-performance in the latter half of the last century, or is there still improvements that can be made. I think much can be down to an individual user to decide. Much like Beer Luggers working off a specific beach, sometimes a design will come to an eventual peak......but materials change.
    I would love to build a traditional Danish beach pram, but its weight, and build do not make it suitable for regular trailing or long periods sat on a trailer. I see little wrong with adaptations in the spirit of the original boats.

I think that the development of cobles will diverge, if they continue to be built. Those working from harbours where they lay afloat will lose the deep forefoot, if they work nets that make the tumble home beneficial for bracing your thighs whilst hauling they may survive, otherwise there is no reason that they will not be replaced by conventional square sterned motor boats.
    At the landings where they work off a beach, like Flamborough and Filey the tunnel sterned deep forefoot form is still ideal, so they will probably hang on whist they can be kept going, although at Filey they are also using flat floored double enders.
    The historian in me gets a bit ticked off when the pleasure boat market hijacks a name from an historical boat design and applies it to a new design that may have a passing similarity, but really is a long way from the type.

^ Did you have any constructive criticism when the car was taking over the horse and cart? Times change and outboards are a usefull means of propulsion. Paul Fisher uses a well in his Coble adaptions.

@#52
    1963 I used an outboard purely to save space for salmon netting.

There really s no need for all this rigmarole that Nick keep raking up.

A simple 7x3 inch slot through the ram plank a box to clamp the motor to strengthen by attaching to a thwart.

Got the tee shirt 54 years ago, and I wasn't the first by any means.
    Planking a tunnel is an unnecessary clinging to old methods that should have been dispensed with in the 60's.

Not old enough to remember horses being eclipsed by cars, but if that was true am I denied an opinion, especially one that is based on experience?

Neither do they intend to build full size in the majority of cases, it is a practical vent for suppressed dreams, nothing wrong with that

I am glad that we all accept that we can have an opinion, i think that should extend to building a boat how you want. Practicaly speaking, i think the tunnel stern allows the engine to remain lowered while beaching, where as a hole in the ram plank would require the engine to be lifted, unless you had deep skorvels that grounded before the prop? Did you have to raise your engine while backing into the beach Chippie?

A lovely thread! So glad I found it. Thanks to all y'all who contributed to it.

I am glad that we all accept that we can have an opinion, i think that should extend to building a boat how you want. Practicaly speaking, i think the tunnel stern allows the engine to remain lowered while beaching, where as a hole in the ram plank would require the engine to be lifted, unless you had deep skorvels that grounded before the prop? Did you have to raise your engine while backing into the beach Chippie?
    I think from discussion on an older thread that Chippy fitted bigly deep scorvels. IIRC his coble was a 20 footer that could stand it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Noto View Post
    A lovely thread! So glad I found it. Thanks to all y'all who contributed to it.
    No Wukkas!