Thread: Made a bottom scraper from an old hand hoe

Default Made a bottom scraper from an old hand hoe

I rewelded the hoe onto the handle, and put a new handle on.
    Then I painted with this foam spray glue.
    Then I heated with a torch and it melted into this smooth rubber plastic substance.
    It is feeling as a really tough coating.

I discovered this when thinking how to keep it from rusting, and was thinking glue, and I had this already.
    Then I tested on boat hull, and hoe part almost came loose. It was only spot welded onto the rod.
    So I needed to burn off the coating, and I saw the coating turn into this glossy tough rubber.

When I was using on hull with boat in water, it was working very well until the spot weld nearly broke loose.

I am also going to get a flat shovel. I found a nice spot in Chisman Creek where bottom is hard sand and I can bring boat into about 4 feet of water.

Before i burned it to make it smooth.

A heat gun sort of works too. It takes a lot of heat, and you heat till it stops bubbling out gas. Then it settles into a smooth flowing rubber plastic.
    Water sheds off it like rainX

Last edited by sdowney717; 07-11-2017 at 01:21 PM.

Default Re: Made a bottom scraper from an old hand hoe

I used a hoe just as it was taken from the garden. The O'Day Daysailor grew some barnacles. I ran a line up the mast, took it over to the next finger pier and heeled the O'Day over as much as I could. I scraped one side then turned the O'Day around and did the other. It works.

I straightened out the 90* bend. Modeled after the ones I use when hauled out.
    When it is straight, you can push it into the barnacle bases, its easier to part them then.
    I think they have a 6 inch wide blade. I plan to buy a flat shovel.

This is the 3rd summer and got big ones growing. I went in Oct 2014.

A standard garden hoe with the blade straightened out to run in line with the handle is pretty much a standard implement of destruction in all the California boatyards I've been around. It works great for the "rough stuff." Then a follow up with a power washer and the job's done.

Looks good. Suggest you file the corners round so they have less tendency to gouge.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

i will price both and think which is best.
    I can get a shovel with a nice grip to fit my hand on its end, which means easier for me to push.

Yes I already ground them a little so they curve.
    When I used it, I easily cleaned a 3 sq ft area.

I also bought scuba mask with a snorkel.

I use a plastic windshield ice scraper to avoid gouging. I also use a driveway sealing brush/squeegee.

Kmart has a decent hoe on sale for $5.99 if you buy online and pick up in store.
    I used my torch to heat the curve and straighten it out. then painted them brown.
    The steel bent rod is as thick as all I have seen. The blade is the same thickness as the $15 hoe at Lowes.
    Blade is welded on all around the rod.
    Without a torch to get it red hot, I doubt you can bend it straight, but you can try with a sledge hammer.

onedrive photos test
    If I post these now, and then later on move them into an album, will they disappear here? No is ok, I put in a onedrive album, and they are still showing.

Last edited by sdowney717; 07-15-2017 at 03:27 PM.

I like that you experiment with stuff. It's good. The next thing you will need is a Hookah, so you can stay underwater and clean the whole hull. People will give you a lot of scary warnings. But use an oil free compressor, a filter, breathing quality air hose, a purpose designed hookah regulator, and practice the same safety as for Scuba, and you'll be good. You can do the whole thing for less than $500. Less than $200 if you shop well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    I like that you experiment with stuff. It's good. The next thing you will need is a Hookah, so you can stay underwater and clean the whole hull. People will give you a lot of scary warnings. But use an oil free compressor, a filter, breathing quality air hose, a purpose designed hookah regulator, and practice the same safety as for Scuba, and you'll be good. You can do the whole thing for less than $500. Less than $200 if you shop well.
    I would love t get such a thing.
    I did buy a mask and snorkel off Amazon.
    In Chisman creek, Seaford Va, we have lots of hard bottoms to stand on.
    Plan is next weekend take boat out with the family, son in law, and while the grandkids are swimming we will clean off as much as we can. Right now the water is mid 80's.